Nikon FM, FE, FM2, FE2 which?

Edit My Images
No
Just was wondering what is the general consensus on the above cameras. Considering getting a film camera and reexperience the good old days. Prefer Nikon though so I can reuse some AF-D lenses.

Looking on eBay I guess I can get a decent quality FM/FE for £50 and FM2/FE2 for £120. Is the extra premium worth it?

I have an FM, FE & F3hp, all of which are great. On the outside the FM & FE are identical. I don't have all the parts for both cameras, so I'm constantly swapping bits between the 2. The biggest difference is the meter - FM has a simple 3 dot thing (left = under, mid = correct exposure, right = over. Nothing else) whereas the FE has, in my opinion, an easier one to use. It's harder to see in the dark because it isn't lit up like the FM's dots. It is a needle thing on the left hand side of the VF. It lists all the speeds, one (thick) needle points to the correct speed while the thinner one points to the speeds you're using - much easier to see how far away from correct exposure you are. It also has aperture priority, which is why I prefer it over the FM. Both of the cameras' meters are very much centre-weighted, almost a spot meter, which is easy to use with the split image screen. I don't know much about the FM/E2 though, but if you go for the cheaper option you won't be disappointed (y)

-J

^^ in addition to Joe's informative post, the FE(2) is entirely battery dependent, whereas the FM(2) is purely mechanical. The advantage is that if your batteries die, the FM(2) are the only ones that will keep shooting at anything other than the mechanical single speed, the disadvantage is that the FE(2)'s electronic shutter is probably more reliable than the mechanical shutter after 20-30 years.

The biggest advantage of the FM2/FE2 is the faster shutter speed - from 1/1000s in the FM/FE to 1/4000s, an especially impressive feat in the mechnical FM2 - and wiki also says improved sensors for the light meter, and faster flash sync. You have to decide whether those things make it worth the extra £70!

n.b. whilst the FM(2) tends to be favoured for its all mechanical nature and light meter LEDs which are easier to see in the dark, the FE(2), back in the day, was the more expensive model and considered to be essentially one step down from the pro F models. They are a lot of camera for the money.

Curiously the FM/FE2s are selling for more than the F3 which was definitely a pro camera in its day (still is in my humble opinion).

Andy

Probably only because the F3s are more likely to have seen tough love I think.

Cool, thanks guys. I guess my main concern now is FM2's mechanical timer being off. Any idea if I should buy from eBay or a shop?

There's not much else to add really that hasn't already been mentioned. I can tell you that any of the four models you list are excellent cameras. One thing I'll say is if you opt for the FM2n, you're probably likely to have a more recently made body as these were only discontinued in around 2001, whilst the FM & FE ceased production in the early 80's when the FM2/FE2 were launched. The FE2 finished in 1987, but don't let the age put you off as these cameras were built to last. You will however need to replace the light seals if they're still the original ones.

At the end of the day, you need to decide if you want an all-manual mechanical camera (FM/FM2) or one which is semi-automatic, in this case aperture priority (FE/FE2). For me personally, I prefer fully mechanical. Also I find the LED metering is more convenient at low light levels than the traditional needle system on the FE2. The more recent FM3a still had the same issues with regards to needle metering.

Ultimately, unless you really need the higher shutter speeds (1/4000 max) and flash sync speed (1/250), then take a look at the FM or FE. You won't be disappointed with whichever model you decide on.

Shop ideally, more likely to warrant it. Personally I'd get whatever camera CLA'd if it was going to be my most frequent shooter.

I learned photography on an FE. Very simple + / - needle meter. Get the needle in the middle and the exposures are spot on. I'm really glad I learned the ISO, Aperture, speed relationship all those years ago and still very relevant today. Without a single LED in the veiwfinder it's the real deal. Happy days!

Nikon FE great camera, very retro, solid, reliable and mine is still going strong today even with a motordrive fitted. Whatever you decide you'll appreciate the Nikon pedigree and quality in your hands.

I have an FE and it is just great, but it has cost me a fortune to keep going it is very temperamental and would go for the FM basic and brilliant.

I have an FE and it is just great, but it has cost me a fortune to keep going it is very temperamental and would go for the FM basic and brilliant.

I have never had a problem with mine. it's been great. That said, I had a very ropey D3 that was forever in the workshops. Its hard to get away from the fact that some things are made at 4.30 on a Friday and not all build quality is the same. it's not necessarily the model but individual cameras that can be at fault and that remains true today.

Think it's only the FM2n out of the FMs that has the 1/250 flash sync. The only way to tell it apart from the FM2 (on mine at least) is the sync marking on the shutter speed dial and the N preceeding the serial number.

Oh, the FE has 1, 2, 4 & 8 sec timed, whereas the FM only goes to 1 sec. Other than what's been posted here already I think they're completely identical.

J

Joenail said:
Oh, the FE has 1, 2, 4 & 8 sec timed, whereas the FM only goes to 1 sec.

Good point and one I completely forgot about. Makes it great for night photography (and I believe the aperture priority mode on the FE(2) will hold the shutter open accurately for longer if the exposure demands).

I'm sure the FE does that too

Last edited:
I don't think you'd go wrong with any of the FM/FE series. They're all well built and pretty tough/reliable, although they are ageing now. I have an FM and originally planned to get an FE or FE2 to keep it company, but I never got round to it and I don't suppose I will now. Still, that leaves another body for an enthusiast!

Curiously the FM/FE2s are selling for more than the F3 which was definitely a pro camera in its day (still is in my humble opinion).

Andy

I started my press career with a F3 and FM2, I always used the FM2 as it had a faster flash synch (from memory 1/250 against 1/80) All the other photographers were the same.
Never really got on with the F3, except when shooting sport.

I recently acquired an FM2n to accompany my battered (but much loved) FE.

They are physically identical on the outside, and as stated just the light meter marks them apart in general use.

That said, the analogue needle style meter on the FE is just more enjoyable to use. The FE does have a very dark viewfinder though, in low light it can be hard to read the light meter.

The FM3 is the dogs licky-bits IMHO. More costly, but it combines all the best elements of all that era of Nikon cameras. The mechanical independence from a battery for shutter speed, the lovely analogue light meter, the compact body (the F3 just feels a bit uncomfortable in my hands by comparison).

I paid more than I really had to for a near mint condition FM2n from an eBuyer with a good track record (worth the extra cost for a camera in such beautiful condition).

I would say though (slightly contradicting myself) I seem to nail exposures better with the FM to the FE. It may just be that the camera is in better condition and more accurate, but I find myself trusting my gut more when it's borderline whether to go up or down a stop. The centre-weighted light meter, makes a quick compare and contrast of the exposure levels in a scene nice and simple and I feel I can average it out better with the FM.

I love my F3, it just feels so good in the hand and I know if someone tries to mug me I can wack 'em with it and do it no damage at all.:bat::D

Not much to add really to what has been said, but since these are my favourite series of cameras and I have an FE, FE2, FM2n (and FA) I thought I'd add my pennorth.

To be honest I like them all, and it's easy to make a case for any one of them over the others.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the TTL flash metering you get with the FE2 (and FA), not on the FE, FM or FM2. If you use flash a lot that could be a deciding factor. Likewise, the backward compatibility of the FE and FM with non-AI lenses, and the brighter screens in the later models are worth thinking about.

In some ways though the FE is my favourite. It's simple to use and never gets in the way of my photography. It feels intuitive to use and somehow nicer to use than the FE2, though I can't really quantify that.

The other thing to say is that the FE and FM are available for around half the price of the FM2 and FE2, which to me makes them absolute bargains.

I wouldn't overlook the FA either - more sophisticated than any of the rest of this series, and often cheaper to buy than an FM2 or FE2.

Cool, thanks guys. I guess my main concern now is FM2's mechanical timer being off. Any idea if I should buy from eBay or a shop?

if you mean shutter speed ,the same would apply to any camera

the fm is a good choice if you can get one at a reasonable price ,as Joe says ,you wont be dissapointed

He'll go & get a Canon Av-1 now after all this!

Dammit, now I really want an FM2.......and an FE and an FM

they are nice Andy ,you know you want them ,,,you need them they are calling to you

fm_s_Medium_.JPG

go get them

Get thee behind me Satan......... ooohhhh but they're soooo purtty.

If you even slightly enjoy Nikon cameras, you must own at least one camera from the FE/FM/F* range. Whether it's a FE/FM, FE2/FM2 or FM3 or F3 doesn't matter. Whatever your budget buy the one that best suits. Then be aware you'll likely end up buying the rest one by one anyway :D

p.s. it's a trap... a beautiful but costly trap!

If you even slightly enjoy Nikon cameras, you must own at least one camera from the FE/FM/F* range. Whether it's a FE/FM, FE2/FM2 or FM3 or F3 doesn't matter. Whatever your budget buy the one that best suits. Then be aware you'll likely end up buying the rest one by one anyway
When I eventually get an FM3a, I shall print this quote and show it to t'missus as evidence that it's the law and I had no choice ... :rules:

Dammit... now I want an F4 as well.

Hi guys,

Just got my FE today. Came with a jammed DOF release button and stuck exposure compensation button :bang:. Should have bought from a shop instead.

Oh well, gave it a clean, inside and out, removed the focusing mirror to give it a wash.

Removed all the old disintegrating seals and replaced them with new light seals!

Its now sitting happily on my desk with Kodak Ektar 100 loaded. Excited to see how my first roll develops! :baby:

Hope I din ruin the camera though. Has been a while since I repaired cameras :cool:

I recently acquired an FM2n to accompany my battered (but much loved) FE.

They are physically identical on the outside, and as stated just the light meter marks them apart in general use.

That said, the analogue needle style meter on the FE is just more enjoyable to use. The FE does have a very dark viewfinder though, in low light it can be hard to read the light meter.

The FM3 is the dogs licky-bits IMHO. More costly, but it combines all the best elements of all that era of Nikon cameras. The mechanical independence from a battery for shutter speed, the lovely analogue light meter, the compact body (the F3 just feels a bit uncomfortable in my hands by comparison).

I paid more than I really had to for a near mint condition FM2n from an eBuyer with a good track record (worth the extra cost for a camera in such beautiful condition).

I would say though (slightly contradicting myself) I seem to nail exposures better with the FM to the FE. It may just be that the camera is in better condition and more accurate, but I find myself trusting my gut more when it's borderline whether to go up or down a stop. The centre-weighted light meter, makes a quick compare and contrast of the exposure levels in a scene nice and simple and I feel I can average it out better with the FM.

I totally get what you mean by the dark viewfinder after receiving it today. Now I kinda want a FM too! :bonk:

If you even slightly enjoy Nikon cameras, you must own at least one camera from the FE/FM/F* range. Whether it's a FE/FM, FE2/FM2 or FM3 or F3 doesn't matter. Whatever your budget buy the one that best suits. Then be aware you'll likely end up buying the rest one by one anyway :D

p.s. it's a trap... a beautiful but costly trap!

Now I want a FM to go with the FE! :bang: I can load B+W film in one and color in the other :love:

Hi guys,

Just got my FE today. Came with a jammed DOF release button and stuck exposure compensation button :bang:. Should have bought from a shop instead.

That is a shame did you get it from a well known auction site?

There are places that can fix them if the film bug really bits.

Dammit... now I want an F4 as well.

Well Andy if every I see you in Dunham Park I will have to make sure I have my FM2n and F4 packed for you to have a quick play with :)

However after reading this thread I am now thinking of getting a FE2, damn I have to much stuff. :bonk:

The FM3A is just gorgeous! Feels like class to use. (y)

I also have an F3 and FM. Used to have a FM2N which I regret selling.

I'd love to try a F4 for the matrix meter.

Back