First shots with my new 17-55

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
Did I get a good one? The light's failing now and these shots were at pretty slow shutter speeds. How do they look to you?

FrostyLeaves1Framed.jpg

Rose17-55Framed.jpg

they like money well spent to me
nice and crisp!

The 18-55 kit lens is a great lens.

The 17-55 is, if you like, a step into the professional range of lenses. Whilst it's still a DX lens, that perhaps discourages some of the purists, it's fast with a constant f/2.8 aperture right thru the zoom range.

Oh, and for that extra 1mm you pay around £800.

:)

It's not just the 1mm you are paying for, it's the f2.8 :woot:

I hope so but, at this point, I've only owned it for 8 hours! I'll keep ya posted!

:)

They are an excellent bit of glass. You are also paying for the metal construction and a proper focusing motor which doesn't go wrong after a few months of use.
The SWM in the 18-55, 55-200 and others is crap.

I've been agonising over whether to buy the Nikon 17-55 2.8 for weeks now. They're available as new UK stock for under £750 on Ebay. Then I read what Ken Rockwell had to say. He reckons the 18-55 kit lens is virtually as good optically and the 17-55 2.8 is an extravagance. I'm still confused as to whether to go for it.
Any Nikon owners not familiar with kenrockwell.com ?

I've been agonising over whether to buy the Nikon 17-55 2.8 for weeks now. They're available as new UK stock for under £750 on Ebay. Then I read what Ken Rockwell had to say. He reckons the 18-55 kit lens is virtually as good optically and the 17-55 2.8 is an extravagance. I'm still confused as to whether to go for it.
Any Nikon owners not familiar with kenrockwell.com ?

I've got kens site on my favourites and use it all the time.
It was his free DSLR guides that got me going with my D80.

However - he can be slightly eccentric. He prefers the D40 to all the other Nikon DSLR's up to and including the D80 :wacky: He also thinks shooting Raw is a waste of memory :cautious:
I still love him though :love:

My 17-55mm is almost permanently on my D80.
It really is a tremendous lens. I love it.

He reckons the 18-55 kit lens is virtually as good optically and the 17-55 2.8 is an extravagance.

I like Ken Rockwell, although you cannot compare a kit lens to the 2.8, with the top price Pro Nikon Lenses you really get what you pay for!

Im in the market for a decent "walkaround" lens, so far ive been tempted by the Sigma 18-50 2.8 or the 17-70 2.8/4. But knowing that the Nikon will pretty much blow them away makes me wish for more money!

Thanks for your input people. I've hardly had a chance to get the 17-55 out and mess with it. perhaps at the weekend I'll have time.

Back