Purchasing camera/lens from UKBNS

Name
Len
Edit My Images
Yes
Has anyone had any dealings with UKBNS (they advertise a lot on ebay). Are the camera's/lens's UK warranty or grey imports.

Len

Has anyone had any dealings with UKBNS (they advertise a lot on ebay). Are the camera's/lens's UK warranty or grey imports.

Len

Given this:

UKBNSUK said:
All products will come with our store’s warranty against manufacture defects.

I'd suggest it's grey imports - 'store warranty' is usually codespeak for 'we will replace/repair it, but nikon won't'

This is from Nikon USA, a way to try and stop grey imports and shop warranties

On Jan 16th, Nikon said that "Nikon Inc. has decided that it will no longer make repair parts available for purchase by repair facilities that have not been authorized by Nikon, Inc. to perform camera repairs." All Nikon repairs will be handled exclusively by Nikon authorized repair facilities.

Last edited:
Thanks Nicola & acetone, looks like there is a substantial risk factor to weigh against their prices.

Len

I bought a Nikon D5100 from them several months back and 5weeks ago the A/F stopped working so i contacted Nikon who said that as this is not a UK product i am not covered by their warantee so looked like this company was selling grey market products.

I then contacted the seller, after sending a dozen ebay messages and emails with no reply i was able to get hold of a mobile number for the person, i called then and they spoke to me but hang up as soon as i explained who i was, after repeated calls he finally says that i was happy with the camera when i received it and left him positive feedback saying so and there is nothing he can do.

I have his address which seems to be a council flat and is only about 20mins drive away so i will be going down with the camera to request a refund or repair in person.

Avoid this seller.

Last edited:
I have just realised that i also have been stitched up by UKbns.
Question is, i purchased a lens from their ebay shop 3 months ago. Do i still have any chance of redress?
I should have looked closer when the item came.
John.

I contacted UKBNS yesterday to which they replied that my case was their mistake and are in the process of putting it right. Though obviously it`s not resolved yet it`s going in the right direction and not as bad as the OP`s experience.

This is from Nikon USA, a way to try and stop grey imports and shop warranties

On Jan 16th, Nikon said that "Nikon Inc. has decided that it will no longer make repair parts available for purchase by repair facilities that have not been authorized by Nikon, Inc. to perform camera repairs." All Nikon repairs will be handled exclusively by Nikon authorized repair facilities.

Currently this only applies within the US as far as I am aware, is that not so?

Lens arrived today. Fair play to UKBNS, problem identified and righted in three days.
John.

I bought my daughters Nikon j1 from UKBNS. didn't have any probs and received the kit about a week after ordering, it was delivered direct from japan.

Grey imports and the warranty is pretty much only as good as his word.. which by all accounts seems hard to get as he's a nightmare to contact.

Is it really worth saving a few quid and not having the backup of a full UK warranty with both the dealer and the manufacturer?

I hear your shout (hence why I went WEX on my main lenses) but a warranty on lens cloths & possibly sensor swabs/fluid?

I bought 2 lenses from them without any problems. They seem to have some gear at their UK based warehouse, but it still takes 4-5 working days to arrive. You need to pay attention where particular item is located as not everything ships from the UK.

Guys, my experience with UKBNSUK is terrible for purchasing a NEW EF 20-200mm F2.8L II IS lens. To my conclusion, they are selling refurbished/restocking unit and marked NEW. Basically, they hope you don't examine your item carefully, but this simple is not the case for a 1600 GBP lens.

The first one they send me is damage on the outer and interior package. Also lots of visible crack marks on the metal mount ring. I complaint and send it back on the condition that they agree to refund the postage cost. The replacement lens comes same problem--"multiple crack on the metal mount ring". Send item back again and they agree to refund cost of lens + 2 postage charge I have paid.

As this time, I have to chase them very hard (by openning ebay cases, message , emails, showing picture proofs) in order to get refund. But they simply didn't keep their words, only refund the cost of lens based on the pressure from ebay involvement. No sign of refund the postage as all. It's a heavy lens, the postage was 57.6 GBP in total. I have all the proof upload and shared on my dropbox (http://tinyurl.com/p7zywkh) just in case for anyone else may fall into their trap.

Guys, my experience with UKBNSUK is terrible for purchasing a NEW EF 20-200mm F2.8L II IS lens. To my conclusion, they are selling refurbished/restocking unit and marked NEW. Basically, they hope you don't examine your item carefully, but this simple is not the case for a 1600 GBP lens.

The first one they send me is damage on the outer and interior package. Also lots of visible crack marks on the metal mount ring. I complaint and send it back on the condition that they agree to refund the postage cost. The replacement lens comes same problem--"multiple crack on the metal mount ring". Send item back again and they agree to refund cost of lens + 2 postage charge I have paid.

As this time, I have to chase them very hard (by openning ebay cases, message , emails, showing picture proofs) in order to get refund. But they simply didn't keep their words, only refund the cost of lens based on the pressure from ebay involvement. No sign of refund the postage as all. It's a heavy lens, the postage was 57.6 GBP in total. I have all the proof upload and shared on my dropbox (http://tinyurl.com/p7zywkh) just in case for anyone else may fall into their trap.

btw, all their contact phone number (either printed on the invoice or ebay page) doesn't work at all. So really think twice before buying from them.

The negative reviews of this company seem to be from two users with the combined post count of 3. Who do you trust here?

I bought a D7000 from them ages ago which developed an exposure fault, contact with them was quick, i was given a UK address to send the camera to and got the camera returned within 2 weeks complete with the worksheet completed by Lehmanns of Stoke who are an official Nikon UK repairer

read into that what you will but an official Nikon authorised repairer carried out the work

Ah, I hadn't checked out the poster's history. Good to get a bit of balance from more established members :)

Some update about my 70-200mm 2.8L II IS lens with ukbnsuk. I have a message conversion about the refund the postage cost.

Dear ukbnsuk,
I have now received the refund for the lens. But when will I be able to get the refund for the postage? Again thanks for helping in this case.
- fqiang121

Dear fqiang121,
Yes you will of course, account team was confusing how much to refund you on postage. I have told them 28.8 x 2
So please allow 3 working days for the postage refund, I am completing the paperwork to account team
- ukbnsuk

Dear ukbnsuk,
it is end of Wedensday now. I am still not getting the postage refund. Do you know when I will be able to recieve it?
- fqiang121

Dear fqiang121
I have chased them about this.
They need me to explain what been happening to your transaction. I have now gather all the pictures you send me and the proof of postage to them.
They will look into the report.
We have not forgot about you.
Best Regards
- ukbnsuk

Dear ukbnsuk,
If you could provide me a date that I will get the refund. Last Friday, you told me it's going to take three working days for the postage refund. But, I am still not get them back today which is Thursday already.
I have also upload those documents and proof online, you can also let your account team view those documents at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cq47xcxtl8f08sz/5lvv21nIDr
- fqiang121

Dear ukbnsuk,
I need an update when the refund will be issued. You said it took three working days last Friday, but long past. It's friday again.
- fqiang121

No reply , therefore I left negative feedback. Then I quickly received their response.

Dear fqiang121,
I completed all the paperwork already.
I also noticed that you left us a negative and sure head office will notice that.
i will chase up for u.
- ukbnsuk

Instead of keeping promise about refund the postage cost, they reply feedback. And after I followed up the feedbacks with proofs, they went to ebay and ask ebay removed this negative feedback. The removed feedback as follows.

I left:
Len is not new but refurbished. Promised postage refund never comes.please avoid
They reply:
All item we send will be check by our manager, it is 100% brand new.
Follow up by me
Dont lie! It's refurbished for sure.Proofs and SN available for anyone to check.

Of course, I contacted ebay about feedback, and about seller's promise of returning postage refund. Ebay doesn't help either, this is ebay's answer.

fqiang121
what do ebay do when buyer is not keep their promise for return postage cost if the item is not as described on the item description page?
[ebay CSR]
As explained, such situations such as these are considered by eBay as a member-to-member conflict, which users should resolve between themselves. Therefore, we can't intervene in this case.

Basically, this to be said seller on ebay can lie and won't get punished. Ebay in some circumstance will help seller to sell buy removing their negative feedbacks to boost ebay's revenue as well.

My conclusion, please photographers really think twice before buying from ukbnsuk, and think twice before buying expensive items from ebay, the risk is you will be lied and cheated buy ukbnsuk and ebay won't be able to fully protect you.

Last edited:
Report them to Trading Standards too.

Yes I will, I have assembled a document with all the conversion between me and ukbnsuk. Also photo proofs, receipts, etc. Ready to be sent. I test them and failed with a lost 57.8 pound. I hope no one else fall into the same trap. And the bad seller should be and will be punished someday.:)

They simply ask ebay to remove negative feedbacks. This is the ebay's way to boost their revenue with seller.

But they have negative feedback on their account? 4 in the past month against 501 positive feedback. Im not doubting you had a problem but ive had many problems with Amazon, it doesnt make them a bad seller who everyone should avoid.

But they have negative feedback on their account? 4 in the past month against 501 positive feedback. Im not doubting you had a problem but ive had many problems with Amazon, it doesnt make them a bad seller who everyone should avoid.

Thrash, good point. But if you look at those feedback closely, the price for most of the items are in range of 10~300, and few of them are between 300 ~ 500. None of them are over 1k. In my case, the lens is over 1.5K, and based on the item condition, I am sure this lens is a restocking unit. You can take a look at the pictures of the lens mount by clicking the link I posted earlier.

And today, I have this exactly lens shipped from Digitalrev, all good and a better price as well. I shopped all my camera equipments from internet. Two camera bodies: 5D mark iii and 7D. Lens: 24-70mm F2.8L, 85mm F1.2L, 50mm F1.8. I used amazon (not the market place), jessops, cameraparadise, warehouseexpress, and etc. All of them I have a good experiences.

But, ukbnsuk so far provided me the first bad experience for online shopping. Simply because they are lying about their product condition and lying about refund of the returning postage.

Again, I am here to share my experience, and all my words is backed up with documents and picture proofs. I suggest others to think twice before buying from ukbnsuk on ebay. However, it is your ultimate right to decide where to buy and whom to buy from in the end. But my experience with ukbnsuk should give honest online buyers some additional information to make their shopping decision.

I have marked down the lenses serial numbers 0330000533 and 0630000918.

Last edited:
I was about to order a lens off UKBNSUK but thought I would google the company first. I rather pay a bit more and buy it off amazon
Dont risk it over few quid

Mak-Media.co.uk

Back