Floral Vanity...

TheBigYin

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
No
Well, What kind of flowers would you Expect in a Old Master... I guess it sort of HAD to be Tulips, didn't it - just to fit into the "Dutch" vibe ;)

Tulips 2 by The Big Yin, on Flickr

Last edited:
Like it Mark. However I think your flower arranging skills let it down a bit. ;)

Just reminded me of a picture a friend created, Took similar photograph as this. Left everything in place and untouched (camera unmoved on the tri-pod etc.) Came back a week or two later and redone the shot. Mixed the two images together in PS and voila, a picture of the flowers, but in the mirror the same flowers dead. Made a quirky picture, although I know this isn't what your aim is here.

actually, I think that the other way around would work better - the dead flowers in the vase, one of them "looking" into the mirror and seeing it's "past glories reflected"...

Academic really - I don't have anywhere that I can set things up for more than a couple of hours at a time, so anything that needs to stay in-sity for 3-4 days is a non-runner.

This so reminds me of david hockneys work..especialy when he painted images of his mother..there was alot of reflections from mirrors and tulips associated with her..and always the books in the images for his father..they were all placed where we would consider normaly..but this was his life and how he associated things to it..
and for that reason alone i like it alot
niki
x

actually, I think that the other way around would work better - the dead flowers in the vase, one of them "looking" into the mirror and seeing it's "past glories reflected"...
Academic really - I don't have anywhere that I can set things up for more than a couple of hours at a time, so anything that needs to stay in-sity for 3-4 days is a non-runner.

Thinking about it, it was probably that way round. :bonk:

I just knew this was yours as soon as I saw it in POTY :LOL: but I do think that it works well (y) though as previously said it's a shame you couldn't get a full reflection :shrug: but I know you were having issues in getting that :bang:

Matt

My original intent was to get a fairly straight Still Life shot, but with one of the blooms looking as if it was "turning to look into the mirror" (I like the challenge of making a object reflect certain human characteristics - a bit like my "when is a Pear not a Pair" shot) - I couldn't really get the reflections and effects I was looking for without getting either the flash flaring in the mirror, or some of the rigging and aparatus showing in the mirror. I think my problem is mainly one of lack of space in the "studio" - I can't get the lighting far enough away from the "set" for the rigging to fade into the darkness. In order to lose the reflections from the surrounding modern furnished room, I had blackout boards and dark drapes everywhere. I'd dearly love a room where I could leave a setup for this kind of picture in-situ until I'd completed the whole shot - though it'd probably end up with the room painted in a trompe l'oeil stylee, as a half-timbered Dutch attic room :LOL:

So - does that mean I've actually managed to develop a personal style of shooting after 30-odd years, or am I just predictable...:LOL:

Yeah mate, you've become "the old master" :naughty:

Back