Canon 70-300mm L

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
My first L lens :)

Picked this up a couple of weeks back and just getting my first chance to have a proper play and I must confess I'm prety impressed, even allowing for the shortcomings in my photographic abilities!

IMG_9647 by Yaaan2, on Flickr
This first photo is straight out of the camera with no proccesing, just conversion to jpg in DPP.

IMG_9882 by Yaaan2, on Flickr
and this has had a little sharpening but nothing else.

It's a lovely lens to handle although not the lightest, and the IS is brilliant which especially welcome as I'm onboard a ship :) Now I just need some interesting things to take photos of!

Strangely it doesn't seem a particularly popular lens. It obviously doesn't have the fixed aperture of the 70-200 f4 but it has the extra 100m which was enough to swing the balance firmly in its favour for me. It'll be perfect when the 150-500 is a bit too much to take and would have been ideal for my trip to Uganda last year I reckon. Seems like a good excuse to go back :LOL:

My first L lens :)

Picked this up a couple of weeks back and just getting my first chance to have a proper play and I must confess I'm prety impressed, even allowing for the shortcomings in my photographic abilities! ..............................It's a lovely lens to handle although not the lightest, and the IS is brilliant which especially welcome as I'm onboard a ship :) ..................................Strangely it doesn't seem a particularly popular lens. It obviously doesn't have the fixed aperture of the 70-200 f4 but it has the extra 100m which was enough to swing the balance firmly in its favour for me.

Nice shots Ian

It is getting some great reviews and is certainly on my "to look at" list when funds allow. I've read on here of some that have swapped there 100-400 for one.

I suspect it doesn't seem a popular lens at the moment as it's relatively new and is still commanding a high price. Hopefully as time goes on, the price will stabalise some and become more popular.

Just ordered one of these also - Panamoz had a great price for them.

Just been looking at a review for Panamoz and i wouldnt touch them with a barge poll.

There's mixed reports, but several on here have bought from them successfully so will see.

I paid on a credit card anyway.

Hotshots said:
Just been looking at a review for Panamoz and i wouldnt touch them with a barge poll.

Which review was that bad it prevents you from purchasing from them, I have found little that would place anyone on their guard and have successfully bought from them myself and would use them again and pay via bank transfer to save a further 5%. My next buy is likely to be the 70-300 btw :)

Last edited:

I've used Panamoz umpteen times and paid by bank transfer for the majority of those.Can't fault them in the slightest.Much much better than the likes of simplyelectronics etc.Never had to wait longer than 4 working days for anything I have ever ordered and it's fully tracked all the way.

Gary

well i suppose i havent ordered anything from them but you do wonder when you read reviews like this.

http://www.photography-forum.org/sh...namoz-com-my-not-so-good-experience-with-them

Actually I have read that post before when I researched the company but it was all I could find at the time and did not put me off as I also looked at the positive reviews and I then went on to make a good saving on what I bought.

So one bad experience on the internet from over a year ago and that puts you off them, would you only buy from Ebay if the seller had 100% positive feedback from thousands of sales;).

Hard to believe they would intentionally send a lens in that condition, it could have been a genuine mistake after all.

Actually I have read that post before when I researched the company but it was all I could find at the time and did not put me off as I also looked at the positive reviews and I then went on to make a good saving on what I bought.

So one bad experience on the internet from over a year ago and that puts you off them, would you only buy from Ebay if the seller had 100% positive feedback from thousands of sales;).

Hard to believe they would intentionally send a lens in that condition, it could have been a genuine mistake after all.

Got my 7D Speedlite 580 and 100 2.8L macro from Panamoz, all got here no probs and faster in most cases than ordering from the UK!

Potentially odd question, but can anyone tell me what the maximum aperture setting is at 200mm?

Well mine has arrived home - so happy with Panamoz on this purchase.

Won't get my hands on it for a couple of weeks, away on business

Just received my 70-300L in the post today. It replaces both my 70-200 F4L IS and 100-400L as part of a costcutting / downsizing exercise. Impression so far are very good, with it being very well built and sharp wide open throughout the focal range. I would put it on a par with the excellent 70-200mm F/4L IS for sharpness. The 70-300's IS is much quieter yet just as effective as the 70-200, plus the lens is much more easy to carry than the 100-400L. Like others, I cannot believe cannot believe Canon do not supply a ring mount with these as they are sorely needed. Once extended the balance is all wrong without a proper ring mount.

If it wasn't for the missing ring mount I would be 100% happy. Shame on the Canon skinflints who will now force me to buy A THIRD PARTY MOUNT. Fortunately, there are some extremely good clones available for less than a quarter of Canon's rip off prices for a cream painted chunk of metal with a ring of fabric in the middle. Rant over.

Back