Looney Summer - The Piccies

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
TP Looney Meet held in South Wales for some Waterfalls, Red Kites and sunset on the mountain tops.
Original thread here - http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=411444

The Met Office placed flood warnings over large parts of the UK and the evening proved torrential, so we abandoned the mountains and retired to the Ancient Briton (CAMRA Welsh pub of the year) for a natter and food.
But the weather for the Waterfalls and Red Kites was very acceptable and decent photos are expected to be posted soon :)

Following standard loony tradition, the piccies thread is being kicked off by a team photo.

i-5wp4Fn5-X3.jpg

Left to right.
Duncan Disorderly, Agent G, Big Andy, SJH 2008, Stan The Man, Sherpa Shirley (honorary member).

Last edited:
I've decided to post my bird piccies up early because I've little doubt that Big Andy and Stan will blow us all away with theirs!

I'd somehow managed to leave my 70-200 in the car, so these were all taken on the 135mm f2 with a 2xTC. Most are cropped fairly heavily; this combination seems to work well!

1) Big Andy on the small end of the monster Siggy.
i-hrdfjzd-M.jpg

2) Red Kite against a really terrible sky
i-S8K2DhJ-M.jpg

3) That Way!
i-Nxm3HNp-M.jpg

4) It was hard to avoid sky behind the Kites. Stan announced that if he took another sky shot we could kick him - we took turns...
i-QTPZpgw-M.jpg

5) That's more like it!
i-7FJ5gWp-M.jpg

6) We couldn't quite see the meat from the hides.
i-N8gP8tH-M.jpg

In summary - the birding was properly difficult!

A few people piccies; apologies to Stan for there being so many of him, but he's such a good subject :D

1) The 135mm f2 really makes subject pop from the background. This isn't always welcome...
i-Vd4JZsc-M.jpg

2) Sony v Canon - be interesting to see what Stan got.
i-CrNTNdb-M.jpg

3) I'm loving my 135mm f2, it makes portraits something a bit special. Very pleased with this shot of Ryan, hope he likes it too!
i-dXtCZbK-M.jpg

4) Taken only moments later; it is amazing how the camera can flatter one subject, yet be harsh on the next.
i-S8Mpf5s-L.jpg

5) The Loonies are considering a fund to replace Stan's hat.
i-Rnbww9K-M.jpg

6) The well dressed photographer from the latest C&A catalogue ;)
i-gkDN5Js-M.jpg

Shots of the others will be in my gallery once I get it online.

It could be a few days before I post any images as all my PP software is on my other laptop which has gone T.U. Some nice sharp shots of the Kites there Duncan even if the sky is pants. Looks like Stan is using the same razor as me these days.
It was a good meet dispite the weather forecast, good to meet Simon a new Loony (first time we've met) and roll on the next one.

Love that shot!! Cracking how you caught the swirling water.

Just got time to post one landscape from the set...
Not sure about the processing, but it's a rush job and I'm heading out.
Thoughts please!

I like that Duncan, good composition with good movement in the water, maybe needs a touch more contrast but I am looking on a laptop so take that with a pinch of salt. What were your settings for that one if you don't mind

Last edited:
Love that shot!! Cracking how you caught the swirling water.

Thanks!
That's what I was after, everything else came second.
Surprisingly, it's only an 11 second exposure :thinking:

Andy,
Settings were Lee Big Stopper plus 24mm TSE on a 5DII.
Struggled to get the shutter speed fast enough, hence...
11s, ISO 400, f5.6 and a hint of tilt to keep the foreground crisp.

Last edited:
Had a great time yesterday and my dinner was great! Yesterday I discovered that midges like biting me and that the 550d AF struggles with birds in flight.

1. Texture shot for Duncan
_MG_5186s.jpg

2. Simon giving scale for the bottom waterfall
_MG_5191s.jpg

3. That's not the sinking Sony in the water! (or Simon!)
_MG_5218s.jpg

4. I liked the bubble trails on the water, however there was either too much water going over and creating vibrations or it was due to Ducan and Stan
_MG_5232s.jpg

5. Whose is bigger?
_MG_5255s.jpg

6. Stan portrait
_MG_5256s.jpg

Last edited:
7. BIF (well attempted, the AF on the 550d wasn't quite up to it)
_MG_5286s.jpg

8. Another
_MG_5313s.jpg

9. and a Landscape
_MG_5430s.jpg

The rest can be seen here

Last edited:
Ryan - lovely set!
A few random comments...
2) LOL at Simon's pose; a classic compact camera stance
3) Also LOL - the Sinking Sony :D:D:D
5) Just need Stan's shot to collect the full set :thinking:
8) Dunno why you are complaining about the AF on the 550D, this one is stunning! (y)

I'm complaining because I had some great shots but the focusing let me down. I had one of a kite dropping food mid-air. I need to get saving for the next 5d mkx.

Just got time to post one landscape from the set...
Not sure about the processing, but it's a rush job and I'm heading out.
Thoughts please!
i-fFnMDCD-X3.jpg

Love it makes me want to visit South Wales nicely done and what a great location! and what looks like a good day had by all, nice one.

Kevin :)

Last edited:
Our next meet is in 3 weeks, feel free to make the trip down.

Love it makes me want to visit South Wales nicely done and what a great location! and what looks like a good day had by all, nice one.

Kevin :)

Cheers Kevin,
I really enjoy the images you post on TP - thanks :)
As Stan said, you are welcome to join the Worm's Head meet next month.
Let the locals advise you on somewhere to stay - sorted :D:D:D

great shots guys...sorry for the delay,been very busy today,having done my 5 mile race this morning in aberdare park[last years meet in july],which was a killer.will get some of my shots up tomorrow ;)

Look forward to them - they are usually the best shots of the meet. (y)

Looks like a very good day was had by all, missed this one as well due to being up in Holyhead.

Not a bad location - get any piccies?

Are you coming to the Worms Head meet next month?
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=416756

I think you have supoerglued that 135 to your camera body, it's never off nowadays :)

Some good clean shots with the 135+2.0tc

Really like the fall shot aslso.

I think you have supoerglued that 135 to your camera body, it's never off nowadays :)

Some good clean shots with the 135+2.0tc

Really like the fall shot aslso.

Cheers Les (y)
Not far wrong about the 135mm :D
I haven't published the shots from last week in France which was almost all 135mm at f2. Definitely some of the best people shots I've ever taken.
Regards the Red Kites, I meant to use the 70-200 and was surprised how good the 2xTC was with the 135mm. Definitely a combination I will use again.

Although I like my fall shot, I'm holding my breath.
On these meets, Stan usually manages to trump my best shot of the day.
And when I see something totally different but really stunning produced by someone standing next to me it kinda takes away some of the pleasure in looking back at my own images.
No pressure Stan - LOL :D:D:D

Jealous, jealous, jealous. Firstly that you all get to enjoy the Welsh countryside, secondly that you've all taken some great shots and thirdly I wish the daily traffic jams I get stuck in were as entertaining to be in.

It looks like you all had a great day and I continue to look forward to one day joining you for a Loonies meet.

#1 looks like the real thing Stan, noisy and unfocused. :D
#6 now that is a beauty, you feel as if you have just walked through the wood to discover the glade/waterfall. a real nice shot with a good mood/feel to it. (y)

It looks like you all had a great day and I continue to look forward to one day joining you for a Loonies meet.

Did I read on another thread you were moving to South Wales?
If so - then it won't be too long before you can get to one of these meets :D

Also..
In the Ancient Briton we were batting a few ideas around for an extra special loony meet in the autumn.
Keep those diaries handy!
Andy - was it you or I who was going to take this a step further?
Are we awaiting more discussion at Worms Head or should we go ahead and put a date in the diary so people can plan for it ?

Fantastic shots from everyone, still processing mine lots and lots of deletions.
If there is a prize for red kite silhouettes then its mine.
Total respect for the Birders amongst us in TP,
Will see if i can get at least one in focus

Last set from me - a few more landscapes.
First three are all the same fall and I'm quite pleased that I managed to find more than just the one angle that looks OK back home viewed on the computer.

1)
i-J2WSmr4-M.jpg

2)
i-Jzx5JGc-M.jpg

3) Breaking the rules :thinking:
i-WgQ5vm9-M.jpg

4) It's not called a Loony Meet for nothing :wacky:
i-dF4mMQC-M.jpg

5) Ryan and simon found this HUGE bug! Simon's little Olympus looked like it was getting some superb shots; this one is just to give scale.
i-cRPRgGw-M.jpg

6) As Ryan hinted earlier - I do like a bit of texture :D:D:D
i-bJNs8GZ-M.jpg

Last edited:
Assuming people don't mind being on the island for 8 hours or so then the tide is fine for the 14th July. It does look like we have 4 or 5 names for it so I will alter the first post to make it the next loonie meet. If anyone else is interested you can add your names here:- http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=416756

I saw that thread, I went to Worm's Head earlier this month, trouble is at the moment Wales is a 4 hour drive so hubby & I tend to come together, he has no interest in photography, so I don't think I'll get away with an 8 hour excursion.

Did I read on another thread you were moving to South Wales?
If so - then it won't be too long before you can get to one of these meets :D
We're trying. Our house is on the market, had a few viewings but the property market is just dead round here.:(

Jealous, jealous, jealous. Firstly that you all get to enjoy the Welsh countryside, secondly that you've all taken some great shots and thirdly I wish the daily traffic jams I get stuck in were as entertaining to be in.

That's the main reason I moved from Hampshire six years ago, 45 mins to do two miles in the morning and again in the afternoon to get home. A total of seven and a half hours every week wasted.

A few pics from me,

Sheep dont move as fast as Red Kites
LoonyMeetBreconBecons-45.jpg

LoonyMeetBreconBecons-8_cr.jpg

LoonyMeetBreconBecons-30.jpg

Last edited:
DragonFly

LoonyMeetBreconBecons-27_cr.jpg

Taken with the Oly XZ-1, had to resort to using flash as 1/5 sec was not cutting it without it

Last edited:
Isn't that last picture of the one dragonfly emerging and drying out his wings for the first time? I'm confused by the title of meet the happy couple, I only see one?

Isn't that last picture of the one dragonfly emerging and drying out his wings for the first time? I'm confused by the title of meet the happy couple, I only see one?

LOL - it's not just me then :D:D:D
The two of them were sure it's a couple of bugs going at it in good style.
And I don't know enough to comment.
But I agree with you!

Perhaps updated titles include...
- A fresh start....
- Never look back....
- Two ugly ducklings.....
I'll get my coat.... :coat:

Looks like you all had a great time despite the weather.

3061231821_bc2f8b1592_o.jpg

This is one I took of a dragonfly a few hours after it emerged from being a nymph (you can see the old shell/skin on the other side of the leaf). The one in the photo above looks like it was taken a bit earlier in the processes, it takes most of the day for them to dry out and for their wings to firm up before they can fly off.

Just found a cool You Tube video of the same thing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdx5RYFR_tg

This is one I took of a dragonfly a few hours after it emerged from being a nymph (you can see the old shell/skin on the other side of the leaf). The one in the photo above looks like it was taken a bit earlier in the processes, it takes most of the day for them to dry out and for their wings to firm up before they can fly off.

Ah Ha - that looks like what we found.
A dragonfly - that makes sense!

Back