LONDON 2012 - CAMERAS, BAGS, RESTRICTIONS, ETC - PLEASE POST HERE

Name
Ima
Edit My Images
Yes
I understand that we have to pack all our photography equipments in a bag no bigger than 30x20x20cm.

I will be going with my other half so does that mean both of us can carry a bag each?

That way one of us can take my 100-400 in its original bag and other person can take the camera and a wide angle lens in a small bag. Both bags will be within the limit but person who carry 100-400 will not have a camera(just the lens)

Last edited:
I understand that we have to pack all our photography equipments in a bag no bigger than 30x20x20cm.

I will be going with my other half so does that mean both of us can carry a bag each?

That way one of us can take my 100-400 in its original bag and other person can take the camera and a wide angle lens in a small bag. Both bags will be within the limit but person who carry 100-400 will not have a camera(just the lens)

Yes you can take two bags.

It is more about your ability to stow the bag when you are seated. If you have two seats you have two areas to stow your bags (but not one large bag).

I think the rules are an absolute joke. Hardly the people's Olympics is it, can't even take a bottle of water in? Especially as we have helped pay for the damn thing.

I think the rules are an absolute joke. Hardly the people's Olympics is it, can't even take a bottle of water in? Especially as we have helped pay for the damn thing.

From what I'm told you won't be buying your water with an American express card either.

From what I'm told you won't be buying your water with an American express card either.

You also wont be able to get any cash out in the vicinity of venues unless you have a visa card, all the cash machines will only accept visa cards, venues will only accept visa cards and vendors will only accept visa.

The whole modern olympics ethos is a perversion of its original intent, I wont waste my time or money on it.

Thanks for the input guys ,

Living in England I cant see myself not going to Olympics what ever the cost it is.

It's a once in a life time opportunity and I won't miss it for the world.

More anti-Olympic nonsense. If you have tickets to go, enjoy the sport because any photos you try and take from spectator seats will be a waste of your time (other than nice wide shots).

More anti-Olympic nonsense. If you have tickets to go, enjoy the sport because any photos you try and take from spectator seats will be a waste of your time (other than nice wide shots).

I go to Basketball and Volleyball , should be ok with my 100-400 I think.

Wow! How terrible that you can't bring water through security - just like at an airport. Unlike an airport Olympic venues will supply free water inside the venue. Just bring along an empty bottle. LINK

Bag restrictions say that each person can take one bag and it must be able to fit under your seat.

Camera restrictions say that your gear must be less than 30cm. LINK

Last edited:
I'd love to see what happens when security try's to stop some none english speaking spectator from taking a bottle of water in ;)

You also wont be able to get any cash out in the vicinity of venues unless you have a visa card, all the cash machines will only accept visa cards, venues will only accept visa cards and vendors will only accept visa.

The whole modern olympics ethos is a perversion of its original intent, I wont waste my time or money on it.

To bL##DY TRUE,
Once a showpiece for amateurs,now a bank roll for business.:thumbs down:

There will be a lot of good sports persons there,but lost in the hunt for the megabuck I'm afraid.:shake:

Last edited:
I'm going to see boxing finals. Do you think 5DIII and 70-200 will pass the security?

What. Even the Beach Volleyball!

You might get lucky and get one or two good shots but if the seats were so good for photo opportunities then the photo agencies would be demanding positions there!

inkiboo said:
You might get lucky and get one or two good shots but if the seats were so good for photo opportunities then the photo agencies would be demanding positions there!

That's a good point. I am either going to take my d7000 and 55-200 (which is fairly pants in low light) or p300 compact to water polo. Will prob end up taking more pics before and after, and then around london. That is if my tickets ever arrive courtesy of coca cola!

I have volleyball and beach volleyball and swimming ... hoping to get my 100-400 in ... what are the chances?

If you delve around on the Olympic website I seem to remember finding a rule about no cameras "over 30cm". Assume they want to stop people with big lenses being a pest in the crowd.

I will be taking my S95 and a small pair of binoculars :D

D

EDIT - here is the page with the 30cm rule,

http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/Documents/General/01/25/44/06/Prohibitedandrestricteditemslists_Neutral.pdf

D

Last edited:
kiteninja said:
Or you just being a dick trying to get in the way of other people who are trying to enjoy the event.

Sense of humour failure? :/

What about if your camera is on a strap being carried?

....or does it have to be in a bag?

If I was going to take my D90 it would be on my black rapid all day being used.

Heather

I've got a Canon 30D with a 50mm and a 55-250mm lens.

I'm going to lots of events at the Olympics and I was thinking of doing a 14 day hire of a 100-400L f4 IS. It comes in at around £100, which I though was reasonable given it'll be used virtually every day.

I'm obviously going to be in the stands, so hopefully the 400mm will be enough reach to get some worthwhile shots.

Do you reckon the hire is worth it? and have I picked out the right lens?

Thanks, Tony

I doubt very much that you will be allowed in with a lens that big. The last time I saw the 'rules' it stated no 'professional cameras and lenses' will be allowed in the stands.

However, if you do hire it and get it inside the arena, it should be long enough to get some worthwhile shots as long as the light is fairly good. It does struggle a little in failing or poor light but I used one last year to great effect at an airshow and numerous sports events.

Thanks for the replies. There's a definite theme isn't there.

I won't risk the lens hire, especially as I have seen how far the 100-400mm extends out at full zoom.
I'll still take my 55-250mm.

Next question then ... would it be worth using a 2x converter on my 55-250mm? I've never used one and I don't know what the implications are (in terms of light, focus etc)

No1Joker said:
Thanks for the replies. There's a definite theme isn't there.

I won't risk the lens hire, especially as I have seen how far the 100-400mm extends out at full zoom.
I'll still take my 55-250mm.

Next question then ... would it be worth using a 2x converter on my 55-250mm? I've never used one and I don't know what the implications are (in terms of light, focus etc)

The limitations are that it won't work with your lens!

It might be worth looking at a 70-600 DO or L instead.

I have been furiously trying to work out the best solution to my problem. So far I have come up with the following possible alternative.

a 70-200 2.8 L teamed with a 2x converter.

Good or bad idea??

I've noticed that any lens that's large and white tends to attract an inordinate amount of attention.

The rules do say any camera equipment over 30cm long won't be allowed so it should be OK. It would be nice if they could offer a straightforward clarification.

I wondered why I couldn't find that lens. I think I'm going to go with the 70-200 2.8 L IS (without converter). I've been wanting to try it out for a while anyway.

Feels weird to be giving up some of the reach over my existing 250mm, but lots of reading has come up with the following advantages.

1. It'll handle the light conditions better than the 70-300mm
2. I'll be able to take a tighter crop of the finished picture than my 55-250mm
3. All the zoom is internal, which I prefer to the Push/Pull of the 100-400 and the extending 70-300.
4. Its still around the £100 for the fortnight.

The downside seems to be the possible attention it might draw, and that its going to make my kit weight in at 1.5kg

Camera on a strap should be fine, but must still comply with the size restrictions - i.e. it must fit in the regulation-sized bag, if you had one.

Make certain that you check the rules for your venue - in particular football venues. For example, all interchangeable lens cameras (including DSLR and CSC) are outright banned at Wembley Stadium. I'm certainly glad I found this out before taking a 7D.

Last edited:
Make certain that you check the rules for your venue - in particular football venues. For example, all interchangeable lens cameras (including DSLR and CSC) are outright banned at Wembley Stadium. I'm certainly glad I found this out before taking a 7D.

Mark, I've been searching to find out if i can take my camera to the mountain biking, but i can't find anything stating what i can or can't take? Any ideas where to look??

Mark, I've been searching to find out if i can take my camera to the mountain biking, but i can't find anything stating what i can or can't take? Any ideas where to look??

There's nothing listed on the venue-specific information. So the standard 30cm limit should apply.

Does anyone know what camera restrictions are in place for spectators at the Olympics? (specifically in the Olympic park/stadium).

Thanks

Back