Dont take your 70-200 f2.8 to the Olympics BT London Live arena

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
I thought I'd post this Olympics related item here so it wouldnt get lost in the other Olympics threads

I took my 70-200 f2.8 to Hyde Park today to take some pics of the Ladies Triathlon. Managed to get a couple of shots at Hyde Park corner and then decided to visit the BT London Live arena set up in Hyde Park. Unfortunately the 70-200 f2.8 was a no-go as it was seen as a professional lens and too big. I was quoted a 6" maximum

I had a bit of a debate with senior security members and as a result was allowed in to the venue but had to put the lens away in the Lost Children and Lost Property hut. The ladies in there were very nice and they put it away in a cupboard for safe keeping.

To add a bit more to the story, I was even challenged during the afternoon about the 28-70 f2.8 on my 7D, but argued the case strongly with a security guy and he backed down.

So there you are, just consider your lens if you want to get in to the BT London Live arena aka "Glastonbury with woodchips"

Sounds a bit bad, but looking at the T&C you were lucky to get anything in at all

http://www.btlondonlive.com/useful-info/ticket-terms-conditions

"23. You shall not use equipment for recording or transmitting (by digital or any other means) any audio, visual or audio-visual material or any information or data inside any Venue or at any Event, and You shall not bring such equipment into any Venue or Event."

That said of course the legion of point and shoot cameras and camera phones would have gone un remarked.

Seen plenty 70-200 lenses in the crowds so far. Even in Wimbledon.

Seen plenty 70-200 lenses in the crowds so far. Even in Wimbledon.

He's not talking about Olympic events. This is screening of said events but is run by BT.

Hence why the rules are different.

Back