Taking your kit through customs.

Galaxy66

Jeremy Beadle
Name
My name is Mal not Jeremy :)
Edit My Images
Yes
As a follow on from post 8 in this thread has anyone had their kit seized by customs until they have provided proof of purchase.

Last edited:
As a follow on from post 8 in this thread has anyone had their kit seized by customs until they have provided proof of purchase.

Not in this country, but it happened to me a couple of times in South Africa years ago. They were very sensitive about taking money or goods that could be sold (cameras, jewellery and other valuables) out of the country to avoid the strict exchange control regulations, and expected you to complete a declaration before you left and get it stamped by customs. This served a double purpose. They could, and sometimes did, ask you to produce the declaration and the goods shown it when you returned, to prove that you were reimporting them, and anything not on the list could be liable for duty/tax as it hadn't been declared on exit. Arguing that you bought the camera in SA, and forgot to declare it when you left, didn't cut much ice because they could fine you and confiscate the goods for contravening the exchange control laws.

I think the only way you could ever get stopped and made to pay the duty would be if you went tot he states or china or anywhere else for that matter, bought some lens or even a new camera and had it in its box in your case and they asked for proof of purchase, it would be quite obvious that you bought them abroad as who takes their gear in the box it was supplied in??

I did buy a lens whilst in usa and brought the box home with me but lens was in camera bag and box was flat packed in my case, now i do live in Guernsey where we pay no VAT anyways so maybe that was the reason or maybe I was lucky who knows.

I think taking your own gear out in its bag and bringing it back again would cause no cause for alarm at all.

spike

I've never encountered any sort of customs hassle but I'm not a frequent international flyer.

My gut feeling is that, given the red tape in this country, if you were concerned about returning to the UK with items which were in your bag when you left the uk, then surely there must be some sort of 'decleration' (that you can ask for before leaving) to have a customs official confirm that you are leaving in possession of x, y & z?:thinking:

In over 30 years of travelling, never had any problems with camera equipment!

I've never encountered any sort of customs hassle but I'm not a frequent international flyer.

My gut feeling is that, given the red tape in this country, if you were concerned about returning to the UK with items which were in your bag when you left the uk, then surely there must be some sort of 'decleration' (that you can ask for before leaving) to have a customs official confirm that you are leaving in possession of x, y & z?:thinking:

I'm sure HMRC would love to see something like this becoming compulsory. See my Post 2 above.

I've never had anything confiscated before but I get stopped and checked regularly now. I carry documentation for all major items with me and these get checked.

Newcastle was my entry point to the UK for many years and they used to do regular checks and take money from us on items brought in.

I've been with a colleague that had gear seized at Schipol before.

Many years ago I worked for a large multi-national company, they used to make us travel with a letter from our own customs/import/export department to stop us getting hassle for company equipment we were traveling with.

I've never had anything confiscated before but I get stopped and checked regularly now. I carry documentation for all major items with me and these get checked.

Newcastle was my entry point to the UK for many years and they used to do regular checks and take money from us on items brought in.

I've been with a colleague that had gear seized at Schipol before.

Many years ago I worked for a large multi-national company, they used to make us travel with a letter from our own customs/import/export department to stop us getting hassle for company equipment we were traveling with.

..and this was for pro/semipro SLR kit the likes of what we have in our kit bag not obviously brand new in boxes ?

Yes. I've had an entire outfit confiscated coming back from the US. It was a while ago and they obviously didn't think someone like me would have a large pile of the latest gear legitimately.

It was actually on loan from Canon but hard to prove early on a Sunday morning. I was nice as pie, but customs were really ******, told me I was in loads of trouble, serious criminal offence blah blah, didn't believe who I was or what I was doing.

Took a couple of hours phoning around before they let me go with the gear. No apology, and it was all my fault for not having proof. I now carry receipts.

And it is a serious offence, smuggling, tax evasion, fraud, whatever. The penalties are potentially severe. Not worth it, and they know what gear is new, where you can buy it cheaper, and have seen every trick in the book a thousand times. Customs are not stupid and if you try and take them for a ride, you'll get clobbered with confiscation, a fine, or worse.

This already exists and is called a "Carnet de Passage" - Haven't used one for a while but I've used them many times in the past and can vouch for the fact that dealing with them is a right royal p1ta :puke: You need a declaration sheet for each side of each border you cross and if you get it wrong on any one of them then HMRC will screw you with a bill equal to a large percentage of the value of the goods covered by the carnet. You have to list every single item you're taking out and every item has to be accounted for at each border crossing so lose a lens cap and you're screwed. Oh, and you have to go to the freight customs area to get the carnet stamped not the normal passenger customs area - expect to be delayed about 45-90 minutes at each customs area (so up to 3 hours per border).

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!

..and this was for pro/semipro SLR kit the likes of what we have in our kit bag not obviously brand new in boxes ?

More or less.

To clarify, I get stopped regularly with full kit bag, 2 x bodies, multiple lenses, flashes accessories etc.

Kit taken at Amsterdam was a DSLR and 2 lenses in a camera bag.

Newcatle was not all camera gear, but stuff that had been bought abroad and was being brought back in out of the box.

The company letter covered laptops and SLRs and lenses.

The point I was trying to make was that they do stop and go through gear and paperwork.

I've been carrying copies of receipts for stuff since 1991.

Never happened in any of my travels, actually its never even been remarked on by UK customs (even when I had 3 camera bodies and 2 laptops they were only intrested in looking for cigarettes). That has been the case through Heathrow and regional airports.

There's free trade within the EU so they shouldn't be doing any such thing now. If you go outside the EU then fair enough.

Never happened in any of my travels, actually its never even been remarked on by UK customs (even when I had 3 camera bodies and 2 laptops they were only intrested in looking for cigarettes). That has been the case through Heathrow and regional airports.

LOL And you believed that?

Back in 65 (Swing the lamp) on return from Singapore, I tried to bluff my way into UK with a Minolta. The customs man wrote the camera number down, and retired to his back office. A short while later he came back told me that the Camera was Exported from Japan (Even gave me the date) to Singapore . As the Camera was less than a year old and supplied in Singapore He had no choice but to charge me full duty on said camera. Which was more than the camera was new. And being a young lad of 22 at the time let them keep it.
Ever since when travelling abroad with camera gear I always make sure all of my kit is ex UK and carry receipts with me.

Last edited:
Im in my 16th non-EU country this year just now and not had any issue traveling with my kit. I usually have to take it out going through the scanners and occasionally this sparks up conversations with those interested in photography but no problems.

I did plan to pick up a Nikon 24-70 and 70-200mm on the travels but not found anywhere cheaper than what I can get in the UK so not had an issue with those.

MartynK said:
Not in this country, but it happened to me a couple of times in South Africa years ago. They were very sensitive about taking money or goods that could be sold (cameras, jewellery and other valuables) out of the country to avoid the strict exchange control regulations, and expected you to complete a declaration before you left and get it stamped by customs. This served a double purpose. They could, and sometimes did, ask you to produce the declaration and the goods shown it when you returned, to prove that you were reimporting them, and anything not on the list could be liable for duty/tax as it hadn't been declared on exit. Arguing that you bought the camera in SA, and forgot to declare it when you left, didn't cut much ice because they could fine you and confiscate the goods for contravening the exchange control laws.

These rules used to be such a pain as I had a knack for losing the customs declarations (I was studying in the UK and would be out of the country for months on end).

The rules have now been relaxed though. In recent years I have had no problems entering / leaving South Africa with laptops and expensive phones bought in the UK. No experience with photographic equipment though.

These rules used to be such a pain as I had a knack for losing the customs declarations (I was studying in the UK and would be out of the country for months on end).

The rules have now been relaxed though. In recent years I have had no problems entering / leaving South Africa with laptops and expensive phones bought in the UK. No experience with photographic equipment though.

I haven't had any problems in SA for years either, but my daughter did get quizzed about her fairly new laptop - in a rather half hearted manner - by a customs officers when she flew back from New York in April. She didn't have the receipt but he seemed quite happy with her assurance that she bought it in SA, which was true.

I did have one rather bizarre experience in Bulawayo a couple of years ago. I was there on business and an 'official' - I assume she was a customs officer - wanted to know how I could 'prove' that I wouldn't sell my laptop to a local while I was in the country. I have no idea whether this is illegal or not but I don't argue with these guys in African countries, so I just told her I wasn't going to sell it, and asked what I was expected to do. She said "Do you promise not to sell it?" I promised, and that was that. This sort of thing still happens in Africa, and I just try to stay friendly and cool about it.

Back in 65 (Swing the lamp) on return from Singapore, I tried to bluff my way into UK with a Minolta. The customs man wrote the camera number down, and retired to his back office. A short while later he came back told me that the Camera was Exported from Japan (Even gave me the date) to Singapore . As the Camera was less than a year old and supplied in Singapore He had no choice but to charge me full duty on said camera. Which was more than the camera was new. And being a young lad of 22 at the time let them keep it.
Ever since when travelling abroad with camera gear I always make sure all of my kit is ex UK and carry receipts with me.

Serial numbers, and where stuff was sold, can be checked in seconds these days.

In other words, if you tell porkies and do the old posting the box home trick, you'll only make things worse.

Last edited:
LOL And you believed that?

No need not to believe it, the camera gear and laptops were given a perfunctory glance, the cameras were all close to brand new and one was even branded "Rebel". Then all they cared about was counting the cigarettes (legal 3000 odd but scattered through a case).

They didn't even look in places too small for a cigarette box (could have had anything in those little pockets).

I would imagine in positions such as the police, traffic wardens, security personnel etc. where you are given a level of power to be exerted on the public there will always be a few that are after brownie points and will exert that power to the full, maybe the incidents we are reading about here are the result of that type of customs officer.

I'm glad I've seen this. I am off to South Africa at the end of the month, unfortunately I no longer have the documents for my 500D, however one look at it you will know it's not brand new (the screen is cracked). The tamron 70-300mm may be a bit different. I'm taking my mini computer as well... Which I bought 5 years ago (10inch, perfect thing to store photography on), if they claim I bought that over there they will need a slap!

No worries though when entering and leaving Israel.

So you got caught? That doesn't answer the question for this thread though. Even if you had a receipt, it wouldn't have been a UK be anyway so you still liable for customs. The fact that it was so new and you got caught lying which made it worse.

Personally I never been ask for receipts for stuff I carry, I don't think anyone does! Some of my gear are 10 years old (550EX), and I don't even hide it, I swing the 5D with an L glass right overly shoulder.

No need not to believe it, the camera gear and laptops were given a perfunctory glance, the cameras were all close to brand new and one was even branded "Rebel". Then all they cared about was counting the cigarettes (legal 3000 odd but scattered through a case).

They didn't even look in places too small for a cigarette box (could have had anything in those little pockets).

It's just an excuse to go through your stuff, without having to accuse you of anything thing serious first. And they have to spot-check a certain percentage of passengers.

Sounds like they were looking for clues to something more serious. Customs checks are not about catching people bringing in a few extra fags (though you'll get done for that too).

I would imagine in positions such as the police, traffic wardens, security personnel etc. where you are given a level of power to be exerted on the public there will always be a few that are after brownie points and will exert that power to the full, maybe the incidents we are reading about here are the result of that type of customs officer.

Nope, they are doing their jobs and trying to catch people whom are evading the lawful taxes of the country. If that is being a jobsworth then we should all be one!

I'm glad I've seen this. I am off to South Africa at the end of the month, unfortunately I no longer have the documents for my 500D, however one look at it you will know it's not brand new (the screen is cracked). The tamron 70-300mm may be a bit different. I'm taking my mini computer as well... Which I bought 5 years ago (10inch, perfect thing to store photography on), if they claim I bought that over there they will need a slap!

No worries though when entering and leaving Israel.

I wouldn't worry, I've been to SA a few times now, landing at both Joburg and Cape Town. Totally disinterested would be how I describe the customs officers there.

Carried quite a bit of electronic gear through as well as favours/gifts for people I stayed with out there as the prices are quite a bit higher than the UK.

Nope, they are doing their jobs and trying to catch people whom are evading the lawful taxes of the country. If that is being a jobsworth then we should all be one!

Dread to think what life would be like if everyone in similar positions carried out their jobs to the letter of the law!

Do think perhaps he was bluffing - you had a brand new camera, flown in from Singapore (I'm guessing)? Fairly impressive that back in 65 he managed in a short space of time to cross reference a serial number, back when there was no computerised system (having said that, I suppose there wasn't the plethora of gadgets that people would try to import without declaring).

I bought a small Sony compact camera a few years ago ready for a holiday in Tenerife. I know what the prices for electronic and camera gear are like over there and was tempted to wait. I didn't and bought one from my local Currys. Just before I left, I took a few photos round the house and these stayed on the memory card. Glad they did as, when I came back through customs, I was accused of buying it over there. I showed them the date stamped shots on the memory card and got a full apology.
So a small tip for you all... Take a few photos at home before you leave.

Marc Jacobs said:
I bought a small Sony compact camera a few years ago ready for a holiday in Tenerife. I know what the prices for electronic and camera gear are like over there and was tempted to wait. I didn't and bought one from my local Currys. Just before I left, I took a few photos round the house and these stayed on the memory card. Glad they did as, when I came back through customs, I was accused of buying it over there. I showed them the date stamped shots on the memory card and got a full apology.

Doesn't that only prove you owned the memory card prior to travel, not necessarily the camera?

Dave1 said:
Exif would show camera details.

You could pop into Jessops before your holiday, throw your memory card into their camera, take a pic, and then you've got your EXIF data for the customs agents when you return with your 'old' camera.

You could pop into Jessops before your holiday, throw your memory card into their camera, take a pic, and then you've got your EXIF data for the customs agents when you return with your 'old' camera.

You do realise that cameras have serial numbers?

A Sony pocket camera!! you must have been stopped by one of those conscientious jobsworths :D

You do realise that cameras have serial numbers?

I do realise; however, I'm not suggesting some foolproof plan for deceiving customs agents. The poster, Marc Jacobs, simply mentioned that the agents accepted the date stamps on his shots as evidence of purchasing his camera in the UK.

They certainly could have checked serial numbers, EXIF data, etc., but, from the post, it was my understanding that they did not. Sincerest apologies if I did misread the post, but I was just noting how this bit of accepted evidence, as I understood it, could be manipulated.

Further apologies from me for drawing the thread off course; I've found it an interesting read and do not wish to detract from it any further.

I do realise; however, I'm not suggesting some foolproof plan for deceiving customs agents. The poster, Marc Jacobs, simply mentioned that the agents accepted the date stamps on his shots as evidence of purchasing his camera in the UK.

They certainly could have checked serial numbers, EXIF data, etc., but, from the post, it was my understanding that they did not. Sincerest apologies if I did misread the post, but I was just noting how this bit of accepted evidence, as I understood it, could be manipulated.

Further apologies from me for drawing the thread off course; I've found it an interesting read and do not wish to detract from it any further.

You've nothing to apologise for RJ :)

So you got caught? That doesn't answer the question for this thread though.

Raymond the point I was trying to make was that since that date all of my gear is supplied by UK retailers and I always carry the receipts with me when travelling abroad.

It's just an excuse to go through your stuff, without having to accuse you of anything thing serious first. And they have to spot-check a certain percentage of passengers.

Sounds like they were looking for clues to something more serious. Customs checks are not about catching people bringing in a few extra fags (though you'll get done for that too).

You are sooo wrong on both counts.

I've taken all my gear through Jo'burg , Nairobi ,Alicante ,an Egyptian airport I can't remember the name of , Heathrow , Gatwick & Manchester as hand luggage without any issues or even a glance inside the bags . 2 bodies , 4 lenses & a mono pod .Never thought about taking recipts...not that I'd be able to find them anyway & my gear is in very good nick but with the exception of the D7000 a few years old....maybe I'll have to hunt the recipts out when I travel again :thinking:
Though whilst going out to Alicante from Manchester the pro tog in front of me had all his gear taken out & examined very closely ( dusted & scanned, lens caps & body caps off ) ...he told me that it happens to him almost every other flight he's on ! Think they were hunting for signs of drugs as they didn't ask him for recipts or proof of who he was/what he'd being doing .

I had some fun on the way into Cuba once, and flying back from the states.

Cubans really don't like visiting wedding photographers, and they do love their paperwork. and, customs on both occasions wanted to look at the contents of my memory cards.

Tip.. My kit bag is pretty diverse and has stuff in it that is very old, and very new, and to the untrained eye bizarre. When they looked, they dindt see acres of shiny new pristine stuff, and that in the end got me through both sets of border controls

Last edited:
Back