Best amateur insurance provider?

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
My policy is up for renewal next month and I am looking for a dedicated photographer's policy - must include:-

1. Amateur cover.
2. New for old.
3. Cover in secured vehicle.
4. At least some use abroad.
5. Public liability.

I don't want reasons as to why I don't need it and I don't want to extend my house insurance ... I am looking for a dedicated policy.
I have heard good things about Cliik (?) but think they only cover professionals.
Any experienced suggestions please?

Hi Gramps,

I've used Photoguard in the past - but not had any experience of making a claim.

Currently I have a policy with NFU but it's a professional policy. Not sure if they do amateur ones but the premiums on mine are good so maybe worth a call.

My policy is up for renewal next month and I am looking for a dedicated photographer's policy - must include:-

1. Amateur cover.
2. New for old.
3. Cover in secured vehicle.
4. At least some use abroad.
5. Public liability.

I don't want reasons as to why I don't need it and I don't want to extend my house insurance ... I am looking for a dedicated policy.
I have heard good things about Cliik (?) but think they only cover professionals.
Any experienced suggestions please?

If you insure your home contents with Hiscox you get all of 1-5 included in the policy as standard provided that you are amateur (as in not paid for photography at all), you don't have to "extend" it, unless your photography kit is worth more than £15k total. The excess is high though (£500).

It is one of the reasons I use them to insure my buildings and contents - the other is that my previous insurer wanted me to declare every item I owned worth more than about 2/6d including things like CDs if the total replacement cost of all of them was over their "valuable item" threshold (actually a few hundred quid rather than two shillings and sixpence, but when I looked around the house at stuff like CDs, LPs, books, computers, toy trains, camera lenses, Hillman Imp parts and so on the list was endless).

I realise it's not what you want as you want a specific policy to cover those risks rather than a house contents policy that also covers them, but others looking for insurance might find the information useful.

Thanks Mark, I know it's an option but I want to keep it separate - I've just got a quote from CLIIK and was truly amazed at the cover/cost ... I will be going with them.

used photoguard for years and claimed twice
each time wasn't a problem
cheque arrived quickly and they did say at one point...we can't replace the item (dropped my bag, 50mm lens died :() for the amount for which you've ensured it.
I said that I could! so I bought it, receipt to them, cheque to me within the week iirc

Photoguard does get good recommendations but when I run my kit through the quote site it proves to be considerably more expensive than any of the others :shrug:

gramps said:
Photoguard does get good recommendations but when I run my kit through the quote site it proves to be considerably more expensive than any of the others :shrug:

You get what u pay for. Would u rather spend 30 a month or 3k+ to replace your gear?

You get what u pay for. Would u rather spend 30 a month or 3k+ to replace your gear?

True, though with CLIIK I am getting much more than Photoguard, my existing insurer, or any of the other providers and CLIIK does come recommended by members here - however I accept that you never know until you have need of claiming. £30 a month is no problem but what I want through Photoguard would cost me £650+ pa, which is no small change.

Back