Tutorial Make those eyes POP!

Hacker

TPer Emeritus
Name
Colin
Edit My Images
Yes
Hacker submitted a new resource:

Make those eyes POP! - Make those eyes POP!

I thought I'd write a quick tutorial on how to make eyes really stand out using High Pass Sharpening as a starting point and then a bit of Dodging. It is quite simple and can really make those eyes zing!

Take your start image, for this tutorial I am using a baby shot taken a couple of weeks ago.

eyespop_01.jpg

Using the Polygonal Lasso Tool make a selection round the pupils, right click and...

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator:
Ohh, I like that, good work. Any chance you could do a crop together and put the same eye side by side, in a 'before and after' way?

Oh my god - this works a treat, thankyou! xxx

Many thanks Hacker, most useful.
Dean:)

Another couple of tips, use the burn tool at a low setting (<20%, shadows) to darken the ring around the iris slightly, and the doge tool (<20%, highlights) to brighten any catchlights slightly. The added contrast helps with the 'pop'

Great tutorial Hacker, thank you.

Excellent-thanks :)

Just used this to rescue some dull eyes, superb job. Thanks for the tutorial. (y)

Ever thought of writing a book?:)

Being looking for some thing like this for ages... when I play around with eyes they normally look very un-natural.

Have turned in to reference doc.

Many thanks

Nigel

The before and after photo's above didn't seem to have much difference, but I gave this a go on some recent shots and WOW!

Really good and useful tip - thanks

Great help and really does make a difference to the 'wow' factor, many thanks

Just used this, for the first time, on a 1 year olds brilliant blue eyes. Well, they certainly are 'brilliant' now! Thanks Hacker... great stuff!

I've been using this recently and it's great.

However, I also tried the same technique on lips.... One of the models at the Herts studio meet (Jo) didn't bring any lip gloss, and I used the same technique, but also added a bit of hue & saturation and they've come out brilliantly...

Great "How to"... Thanks for that..

Steve

Yeah. I like that. Great effect. :)

Question:
Rather than reselect the eyes to dodge, would there be any disadvantage in control-clicking the soft light layer's thumbnail before the flatten? I'm only new with photoshop, but it seems to yield the same result without the retrace.

Andy.

I've followed a couple of Hacker's tutorials now and I find them easy to follow with excellent results. Cheers (y)

At the risk of being accused of raising an old thread from the dead - eh Cobra ;)

Just found/tried this as an alternative to my now 'old' way of doing something similar

Nice one Hacker me'ol'm8

(y)

DD

We aim to please.

Even Cobra. :LOL:

Back