Plustek MF Scanner

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
Bloody hell! It had better make a brew as well for that price....

Bloody hell! It had better make a brew as well for that price....

I believe there is a espresso attachment available as on optional extra however this would push the purchase price over the £2000 mark which may be a little too much even the most caffeine addicted film lover.

This and the new Jobo that was announced together comes in at around £4,000 - wow!

I've seen drum scanners go for less on Ebay.. ..

I think they may have priced this out of the market. As good as it's supposed to be I don't think there are enough people with the disposable income to afford it.

I think you're right Andy, tbh they would have been pushing it at £1000 let alone double that.

We'll have to wait for a Chinese copy :)

Last edited:
Bad decision. It may be that the scanner itself is too expensive to produce but I think they may have been swayed by the silly prices that the second hand nikons go for. I will be sticking with the V700 for the time being!

I did notice Jessops have a negative scanning service now. I wonder if they do 120 for a reasonable price (or at all) as it is a lot of negs you'd get done for either of those scanners.

The reflecta looks interesting.

Plustek seem to have mistaken themselves for a premium brand.

One thing I really don't like about the Reflecta is that the 120 film holders only carry 1 or 2 frames at a time (depending whether you're shooting 2x 645 frames a 1 x frame for larger formats). Reluctant to snip my film into single frames.

Looks like the Plustek will scan a strip of 4 x 645 in one go.

E2a: Not that I've got two grand laying about to buy one, though. :whistle:

I'll stick with my V700 for now.

Last edited:
I was going to say there was a similar Reflecta scanner for a much lower price but then noticed it had already came up.

I recently brought a 35mm Reflecta Proscan 7200 and if their medium format scanner was similar to that in build quality and scan speed/quality I would be very happy personally as their 35mm scanner I have is fantastic. I ended up choosing the Reflecata over a similar Plustek scanner simply because after reading reviews I found that compared to the Plustek they scan faster, don't need to scan at ridiculously high resolutions to get the best resolved dpi and the IR scratch/dust reduction is much more effective.

For £2000 I think that Plustek are just pricing themselves out of the market as there are god knows how many probably just as effective but way cheaper second hand equals out there for possible buyers to get instead.

Problem with the Nikon and other second hand alternatives is that they're running out of parts. The Coolscan 8000 cannot be serviced by Nikon if it goes wrong; the 9000 is heading that way. I've heard tales of difficulties getting a blown logic board replaced.

As 9000s are still going for £2K+, there's a risk of ending up with an expensive paperweight.

$2k, that seems OK if still quite high (was expecting £800-900), but £2k!? Surely that price must be wrong.

Ah well, I'm happy with my V500+7600i combo now that I've sussed out my workflow, if I need higher res I'll just wet print or drum scan.

Unless I am missing something, nobody has mentioned this for a while. WEX have it in stock for £1788...

Who is first for the "New film related toy" thread?

Good grief, I've got a car and a motorbike that cost less than that combined! Though it's good that they're offering 15% off a copy of Lightroom to go with it, every little helps I suppose...

I'll stick with my flatbed scanner :)

As you can get a Reflecta MF5000 for "only" about £1,100 which is extremely similar in specifiction I honestly don't see why someone would buy a Plustek MF scanner over a Reflecta.

Jeepers, £1800, could buy a very good drum scanner for that...

Just noticed that "filmscanner.info" (who do some very nice in depth reviews of scanners) have posted their review of the Plustek 120:

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/PlustekOpticFilm120.html

To put it mildly they've slated it! Plus I have to love their comment at the bottom:

"Since we and lots of our customers had many problems with the Plustek OpticFilm 120, we have taken that scanner out of our assortment."

So their not even selling it in their own film scanner shop (which has some very decent prices BTW)!

They seemed much warmer toward the Reflecta MF5000:

http://www.filmscanner.info/en/ReflectaMF5000.html

If you want a drum scanner there is this one on ebay

Scanner

Cheap at the moment and only 100kg!

Scanner

SWMBO is complaining about the space that my cameras take up, I'm not sure I could get away with this...:)

Scanner

Funnily enough Rob and I have been keeping a close eye on that!

I've just contacted ICG for a little info and ended up having a chat with their very helpful MD. The drum for the Ebay one is crazed pretty much all over, the guy selling it says he has used it to scan film and has been able to use the files but he's very open and honest in saying the drum is far from being in good condition. Apparently a new batch of drums for the 355 is made once every few years but because of a very complex manufacturing process they're around £6000, and to recondition an old one (assuming it isn't in too poor a condition to recon) is around £3000. ICG also stopped supporting the 355 it years ago, if anything major goes wrong there's pretty much zero chance of it being fixable.

If the drum on the one on Ebay were in good condition then I think it would be worth investigating, even if it works for a year and then dies it's probably worth a few hundred quid. As it is, with a drum not really capable of scanning film I don't think it's worth looking into further. Shame really!

Looks awesome. Kind of like 2000AD dalek!

They have some factory refurbed units too which would be what I'd go for rather than a fleabay one.

Looks awesome. Kind of like 2000AD dalek!

They have some factory refurbed units too which would be what I'd go for rather than a fleabay one.

Edit- beaten

You two already have a drum scanner. Any more would be an extravagance!

Interesting, the Plustek does look pretty impressive.

I'm reminded that a certain Hooley/PMN combo were scanning some negs on their drum scanner, any sign of the results lads? Or is the beast still stricken?

from that little sample of his i woulnt say it was £1000 better than the epson. Would be nice to see some full frames scanned in rather than just a crop.

I do think that Plustek have priced themselves out of the the market a bit though as you can get equal (or better as according to detailed reviewed) MF scanners from Reflecta or Braun that cost several hundred pounds less. Some reviewers/commentators make it seem like Plustek are the only lot making dedicated scanners, but there are several more who sadly don't get as much exposure even though their products may be better.

Back