SONY RX100, so disappointed.

Edit My Images
Yes
It looks beautiful.....but Oh dear.

The small door behind which the Mini USB hides is so flimsy as to be beyond belief.

I tried to open it, one side came up, thinks....if I pull any harder it'll snap off.

Pushed it back and tried again, the other side came up, thinks....if I pull any harder it'll snap off.

Pushed it back again and pulled even harder, thinks...what happens if I do snap it off?

It did finally open, but as I said 'flimsy beyoud belief' it's just a matter of time before it comes away altogether.

I have not read any reports of the door snapping off, but IMVHO it's inevitable.

Why-O-why did they not use coventional battery charging, off camera.

It's going back for a refund.....sadly.

Sorry to hear that Dave..aside from that issue how did you find the camera?..Image quality etc?.

Sorry to hear that Dave..aside from that issue how did you find the camera?..Image quality etc?.

Never got around to trying it.

The IQ could have been the best thing since sliced bread, but one look at that 'door' was enough for me.

It gets collected on Friday.

:LOL: Be interesting to know if yours was a one off or they are all that bad!

I had read about it on dpreview, but not having seen one in the flesh was unsure how bad it would be. I really hate when companies make something really desirable and then for the sake of a 10p bit of material or metal basically ruin it.

what happens if I do snap it off?
if it's the same as on their mobile phones a) you get used to the technique & b) it's available as a spare part.

Why-O-why did they not use coventional battery charging, off camera.
it saves money upfront & is 1 less different charger for lots of people to have around etc.
Having said that I'm sure that a charger & spare batteries will be available for heavy users.

I've seen two batteries and a charger on eBay for £10.99. The sellers name is littierbaby.

I think I would have used the camera, understand the annoyance of cheap USB flap, but if everything else was fine I'd have kept it.

I think I would have used the camera, understand the annoyance of cheap USB flap, but if everything else was fine I'd have kept it.
Me too.

Every time i watch another review i'm more impressed. The lenses is lovely. I just watched the digitalrev review and the compared image with a 600d with kit lens and it looks sharper and contrast-ier.

Only thing that concerns me a bit before taking the plunge is the longer far slower end of the lens means bumping the iso which means grain.

Me too.

Every time i watch another review i'm more impressed. The lenses is lovely. I just watched the digitalrev review and the compared image with a 600d with kit lens and it looks sharper and contrast-ier.

Yeah also watched the digital rev review he seemed pretty pleased with its performance,not as impressed as Steve Huff was though! He loved it.:LOL:

For £500+ I don't expect a crap flap :D

The build quality of my ancient Canon Ixus 100is is far better and it was about one third of the price.

Last edited:
It's a shame, but it's not just Sony. I mean look at the 60D then press the rear d-pad. The d3100 - SD card door. Pentax K5 - lens release button falling off.

Nothing can be perfect, but to finish cameras off in this way is not good enough IMO, it's not like your spending cheap money.

Back