Worcester Cathedral

Name
Liam Andrews
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning all!

Took this one yesterday from a great vantage point on top of the high rise flats :D

7995511900_90b2a54af3_h.jpg

its a great shot , try and see if you can get there at sunrise or sun set also put the chruch to the left or right of the frame i think it will look better

Thank you Paul! I have one I took at night but isnt the best! I can go there pretty much when I want so I will aim to get there at sun set! (I dont do mornings!) :D

Yes I do Liam! I like the detail of the architecture; I know you can't do much about the sky,but a bit more interest there might help, perhaps with the help of a polariser? The comment about positioning off centre is correct but I would add that if offset to the right it might hide the area of habitation which I find a little distracting.

Nice image, though!

Ernie

Ok here's my take on it Liam.
I think the shot is let down by a pretty bland sky, taking it on another occasion when there is some cloud definition I'm sure would help the image greatly. Sunrise or sunset may help in this respect as has already been mentioned. Additionally I find the horizontal tree line across the back of the tower tends to have the effect of splitting the image in two making a 50/50 split, (I know you can't change this from this particular viewpoint). Finally my eyes are drawn to the rooftops and chimneys at the RHS of the Cathedral, I would clone those out although I know others would disagree with that ;).

I like it, it's a good un and I think that's Perry Wood in the bg. :)

Yes I do Liam! I like the detail of the architecture; I know you can't do much about the sky,but a bit more interest there might help, perhaps with the help of a polariser? The comment about positioning off centre is correct but I would add that if offset to the right it might hide the area of habitation which I find a little distracting.

Nice image, though!

Ernie

Thank you Ernie! I can see what you mean its a bit dull with just the blue of the sky, maybe Ill go down on sun set to give it more of "jazz"! I can move around the buildings roof which is 35 foot square but pretty limited I may struggle to hide them :( The view point is a sort after one :D

Thank you for your comments!

Ok here's my take on it Liam.
I think the shot is let down by a pretty bland sky, taking it on another occasion when there is some cloud definition I'm sure would help the image greatly. Sunrise or sunset may help in this respect as has already been mentioned. Additionally I find the horizontal tree line across the back of the tower tends to have the effect of splitting the image in two making a 50/50 split, (I know you can't change this from this particular viewpoint). Finally my eyes are drawn to the rooftops and chimneys at the RHS of the Cathedral, I would clone those out although I know others would disagree with that ;).

Yeah Ernie mentioned the sky, I'd have to agree with both of you the sky has let it down! :( I tried to remove the buildings but wasn't the best result. How would you remove them Roger? Any tips?

I like it, it's a good un and I think that's Perry Wood in the bg. :)

Thank you George! Yeah your correct! Glad II'm not the only one from Worcester on here! :LOL:

Nice image,

Thank you! :D

Well you found a great vantage point!
As others have said the cathedral looks great, but the sky ias a little meh (not your fault!) I'd definitely try to reshoot maybe at sunset / rise depending on the direction you're facing.

Liam,

Removing the buildings shouldn't be too much of a problem because you have plenty of surrounding foliage to clone from.

Hope you don't mind but here's a quick attempt ( not too good at this low resolution but you should make a better job of it with the original High RES image.) I have also removed the blue tarpaulin from the building !

Please feel free to remove this at any time if you wish .

worcestermod by seniorshot, on Flickr

Liam,

Removing the buildings shouldn't be too much of a problem because you have plenty of surrounding foliage to clone from.

Hope you don't mind but here's a quick attempt ( not too good at this low resolution but you should make a better job of it with the original High RES image.) I have also removed the blue tarpaulin from the building !

Please feel free to remove this at any time if you wish .

worcestermod by seniorshot, on Flickr

Thank you Roger! This is great! I don't mind at all when people make this kind of wizardry! I need to look into the art of removing things from photos as I suck . . .

How did you preform this magic ?

Liam.

Liam,
Assuming you have either Photoshop or Elements, there are plenty of good tutorials on the internet on cloning.

My main tips would be:
1. Zoom into the area you wish to clone.
2. Always clone onto a new empty layer - then if you make a mess you can just delete the layer and start again.
3. Keep varying the size of brush and source areas - to avoid obvious repeating patterns
4. If you're cloning into tight areas first select the area so that you don't clone by mistake into no clone areas.

Hope this helps - and remember "practice makes perfect":D

Liam,
Assuming you have either Photoshop or Elements, there are plenty of good tutorials on the internet on cloning.

My main tips would be:
1. Zoom into the area you wish to clone.
2. Always clone onto a new empty layer - then if you make a mess you can just delete the layer and start again.
3. Keep varying the size of brush and source areas - to avoid obvious repeating patterns
4. If you're cloning into tight areas first select the area so that you don't clone by mistake into no clone areas.

Hope this helps - and remember "practice makes perfect":D

Thanks again Roger! I've been playing around this evening can not get anything like yours but you did say "practice makes perfect"

:D

Back