Which monopod

Name
rick
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok I am keeping my eyes open in the for sale section for monopods, but I need to know which one to get as I have a cheap one I bought but the top is plastic and i dont trust it to take my camera+grip and a 70-200, I would like light weight and do I need a head or just screw it to the top. if head again what is best again it needs to be light wieght height is important as I am over 6 foot I dont wont to be stooping down.

thanks in advance rick

I use a monopod every weekend for sports - i have two of these

Manfrotto 680B Monopod and 234RC Head Kit
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~5459~categoryid~149.html
i use mine sitting or kneeling down, if you are over 6 foot (i'm 6' 3") and you want to use a monopod fully standing up then there is really only 1 on the market that will be tall enough(I have spent some time looking into this before) and that is this one -Gitzo G1564L
http://www.morrisphoto.co.uk/ProductDetails~productID~6855~categoryid~149.html

Although not cheap both these monopods are really professional quality and will last forever (nearly), and will take a lot of weight and abuse

An alternative is to make it your self - the latest mop poles are excellent, I've adapter a couple. Very sturdy and light, just needs a bolt in the top to take any head
- just a thought!
:notworthy:

sounds very "Blue peter" to me - just needs an old shoe box with a pin hole for a camera to put on top....and of course some sticky black plastic, to make the whole thing look the part.:sulk:

thanks for the replys its a shame the first aint tall enough its a good price, dont really want to spent £100 on just the pod then have to buy a head as well.
make my own !!! i did think about getting someone to fix a metal top on the one I have, but I dont think I will go the mop handle route dont fancy £2000+ sat on top of any wood work I could do :eek:

Rick,

You may remember the nylon extension I made for mine...works a treat and adds 12"...useful for looking up hill.
I never use a head with mine either.

Bob le frog

yes bob that is what I was thinking for mine was going to ask you next time we meet how you did it, as although mine is only cheap it would do the job well without the crap plastic top :bang:

i was in the same boat, i wanted a quality monopod but couldn't afford to spend too much. I took a gamble on a Giottos MM9570, and what a bargain! It comes with a 2way head (and quick release plate), 3 sections, rotating rubber shoe, foam grip and carry strap (plus a carry case). Its very sturdy and as a trade off is quite heavy, but at a shade over £40 there is no way i'm complaining. A very underrated bit of kit imho.

i was in the same boat, i wanted a quality monopod but couldn't afford to spend too much. I took a gamble on a Giottos MM9570, and what a bargain! It comes with a 2way head (and quick release plate), 3 sections, rotating rubber shoe, foam grip and carry strap (plus a carry case). Its very sturdy and as a trade off is quite heavy, but at a shade over £40 there is no way i'm complaining. A very underrated bit of kit imho.

Just ordered one of these, looks very good value.....(y)

Not too bothered about the weight of it.

I got the Gitzo 3550 'pod a week ago and so far I am really impressed, much better than the Manfrotto Neotec pod I used to have. Shortly collapsed length but still the height I need (I am 6'4") plus lighter and totally stable. Gitzo all the way! :)

I just bought the Manfrotto 679B black monopod with
Manfrotto 234RC, total cost was under £60. I am just under 6 foot, and this will extend above my eye level. Very sturdy, and I think a good buy. The tripod supports a max load of 10Kg, but the head supports max of 2.5kg.

Manfrotto 685B Neotecs are very good, especially for those with back problems, like me. Opens to about 6 foot high, very solid and faff free (y)

Back