[review] Can a £100 carbon fibre tripod be good? I say yes, yes it can.

mrk

Edit My Images
No
Posting this review on another photo forum as well but here goes.

Several weeks ago I decided it was time to buy a second tripod, one that was half the weight of my Red Snapper RS324+RSH12 ball head (cost £150 new). I do Urban Exploration so carrying a few KGs of tripod on your person is no easy task when navigating tunnels, fences or ducking and diving AND you have another few KGs of camera gear...

I searched around for several days before jumping on eBay and finding these. After doing some more research I made the purchase.

Expecting it to take weeks to arrive from HK I was greeted with a long package a few days later with the sender's address some industrial place in Manchester (!).

I've left this review a few weeks because I wanted to be sure the tripod was up to the task and didn't fall apart after a few Urbexes.

Build quality wise it's not tough feeling as the Red Snapper but it is rigid and holds my 5D3 with Sigma 50 1.4 and 17-40 without problem.

By default the centre column is long so I chopped it in half with a hacksaw (surprisingly easy cutting CF :p) so now it spider legs much closer to the ground, like the Red Snapper with short centre column.

The twist lock grips are rubber so when spider legging really low on glossy surfaces (car bonnet etc) it won't damage the surface.

The feet don't unscrew to reveal spiked feet like the Red Snapper, these are all no frills rubber.

One of the legs unscrews to become a monopod, a monopod handle and mount is included in the whole package.

The bundled carry case is padded but the shoulder strap is not, the Red Snapper strap is larger and has padded shoulder strap with a zipped pocket inside.

The ball head is quite good. the finishing texture is more course than the Red Snapper but it feels tough and everything is metal. There's a compass on the QR plate adjustment knob but mine didn't come with a spirit level anywhere like shown in the ebay advert, not that I'm complaining about that.

The QR plate itself is the same size and type as the RS one so I just use one QR plate when switching tripods. The ball head threads are the same as well so swapping heads is no problem.

Fully extended there is some vibration as the legs are thinner than the RS but I can't remember the last time I used a tripod fully extended so this wasn't part of my spec list of wants.

While it doesn't feel as professional as the RS, it definitely does a great job of doing what it's meant to do and it does look smart as well. It's a mile and a half better feeling than any cheap high street tripod or any other non CF ebay tripod for this kind of money.

If I were to give it marks out of 10 then I'd give it a solid 8 with consideration given for its selling price + features and accessories provided. I don't think it can be beaten at this price, not unless you get a good used deal on a Manfrotto + ball head or something.

Pics:
5D3_0957.jpg

5D3_0961.jpg

5D3_0967.jpg

Centre column sawn + new capability:
shortarm.jpg

477475_10152127136200188_80442800_o_2.jpg

And a shot using it:
5D3_3575-Edit.jpg

Maybe you can return after about six months or so and let us know how it's doing?

I'm sure many products are overpriced and always nice to read proper owner reviews of alternative equipment

This can be added to the review section if you have some sort of name for it, or even just call it an 'ebay find'. You can either repost this whole thing there too, or just add the details and link to this thread. If you have any problems adding it under 'tripod legs', do drop me a pm and I will take a look (y)

Nice find and review!

What length would you estimate the monopod (extended) to be with the handle attached. I'm about to buy one but might go for this setup instead.

thanks

Andy

Cheers!

Andy it's 54" fully extended as a monopod, I'm 5ft 8 and this appears to be the right height to use my camera without having to bend down.

I'll link it over in the review section too! Also I shall return in a few months to update on its condition of wear. I imagine if anything does wear away it will be the twist locks first as they get used the most but we will see :)

nice one! ... found your review very informative as i'm on the lookout for a tripod/mono at the moment

some fantastic stuff on you your website as well (y):notworthy:

How did the 2 compare on weight? I know that is an issue for you but I don't see a reference to it in the review.

Cheers!

The official figures for weight are:

Beike CF Tripod + ball head: 1.7kg

Red Snapper RS324 tripod: 2.39kg
Red Snapper RSH-12 ball head: 670g
Total: 3.06kg (!)

Add to that my camera weighs approx 1.5kg and that's a lot of weight urbexing with the RS pod on my back :D

after reading the info on oc forum now here isnt helping me save money:D

Cheers!

Andy it's 54" fully extended as a monopod, I'm 5ft 8 and this appears to be the right height to use my camera without having to bend down.

I'll link it over in the review section too! Also I shall return in a few months to update on its condition of wear. I imagine if anything does wear away it will be the twist locks first as they get used the most but we will see :)

Nice one, thanks for replying (y)

Andy

well mine arrived today
1st impressions are very good ,i need something lighter as my main tripod/head weigh in at nearly 5 kgs ,great when i am in the car but a bit much when walking or on my bike
just weighed it at just under 1.6 kgs included head
the ball head is a bit ruff but locks up well ,leg locks all work well
and if you flip the legs round it folds to 18 inches which is great for me as i can bung it in my bike top box
without flipping the legs but with the ball still on its 24 inches
stable anough with my 5 mk111 and 24-105L ,i think it would hold more without a problem
for the price it seems very good
cheers Robbie(y)

That's great to hear cheers!

I actually keep forgetting to flip the legs round to save a few inches when carrying as the ball head snags my elbow when I holster it on my camera bag strap during walks, will have to remember this :D

That's great to hear cheers!

I actually keep forgetting to flip the legs round to save a few inches when carrying as the ball head snags my elbow when I holster it on my camera bag strap during walks, will have to remember this :D

:D i will give it a proper try as soon as this weather improves but so far so good
it was partly how small it folds that made me want one ,i saw on oc forum how you carry yours ,nice simple solution (y)
one question
i take it the legs arnt locked on that pic on the car?

Aye correct, I relied on the stiffness of the joints to keep it straight, this isn't a problem as wind isn't strong enough to move it :p I also tightened the nuts a bit more using as hex key!

It looks like a Hong Kong rip-off of the Giottos Vitruvian. It has exactly the same layout and functioning, even down to the tradmark folding.

Aye correct, I relied on the stiffness of the joints to keep it straight, this isn't a problem as wind isn't strong enough to move it :p I also tightened the nuts a bit more using as hex key!
cool,cheers mate

It looks like a Hong Kong rip-off of the Giottos Vitruvian. It has exactly the same layout and functioning, even down to the tradmark folding.
just compaired mine with the giottos ,i think your right very similar you never know it might be the same factory (that happens alot )

What price would a similar Giottos Vitruvian be? I have looked but there are so many different models!!!

Cheapest I can find the carbon fibre Vitruvian is £245+del at Bristol cameras. There's a aluminium one which is cheaper of course.

Thanks for the confirmation!

mrk - was it easy enought to cut down so you could get decent spiders out of it? Does it affect the stability?

The length of the column made no difference to stability - It's easy to cut, a junior hacksaw will see through it in about a minute - This CF is easy to cut even though it's light and rigid!

You mean like the Vitruvian is a Chinese copy of a Gitzo Traveller? Almost every tripod on the market can trace at least some its design origins to Gitzo, and all the clones are made in China.

The only major brands not made in China are Gitzo and Manfrotto, that share the same factory in Italy, both actually owned by a British company, Vitec Group.

BTW, my guess is that the OP has a very decent tripod there. By buying direct on-line, not paying bricks & mortar dealer and distributor margins, or VAT most likely, you can cut the price in half.

BTW, my guess is that the OP has a very decent tripod there. By buying direct on-line, not paying bricks & mortar dealer and distributor margins, or VAT most likely, you can cut the price in half.[/QUOTE]

any links????(y)

also you guys who have bought it! ... would this take the weight of a 5D3 with a Canon 70-200 II ? or more to the point would you trust it with those attached ?

also you guys who have bought it! ... would this take the weight of a 5D3 with a Canon 70-200 II ? or more to the point would you trust it with those attached ?

if your ever near me your welcome to try it mate

Last edited:
o.k sold! ... think i will take the plunge ... is there an upto date link for this on flea-bay ?

any links????(y)

I'd get a bigger version for that. Lens is heavy and heads in particular are small on those folding traveller style jobbies.

out of interest i just tried my spotting scope on it (it weighs just over 2kg,it is a pentax pf-80ed with the big zoom eyepiece ,just so you can see the scale of this thing )
the tripod and head held with no sign of slip:eek::D
some wobble if i pushed /tapped ,mainly on the rubber pads that sit on top of the qr plate so not perfect but it would definatly do in out the way locations .

out of interest i just tried my spotting scope on it (it weighs just over 2kg,it is a pentax pf-80ed with the big zoom eyepiece ,just so you can see the scale of this thing )
the tripod and head held with no sign of slip:eek::D
some wobble if i pushed /tapped ,mainly on the rubber pads that sit on top of the qr plate so not perfect but it would definatly do in out the way locations .

Try it with the head dropped over, holding the camera in vertical/portrait format. Then try to position it accurately, and reposition it again, for a carefully framed shot

Most heads can do that if you screw them down hard enough, but you shouldn't have to. It should be easy, with a firm and positive lock, no stress. Tripods and heads that are always working right to their limit are a PITA.

Try it with the head dropped over, holding the camera in vertical/portrait format. Then try to position it accurately, and reposition it again, for a carefully framed shot

Most heads can do that if you screw them down hard enough, but you shouldn't have to. It should be easy, with a firm and positive lock, no stress. Tripods and heads that are always working right to their limit are a PITA.

its not a perfect head by a long shot but i didn't have to screw it down hard at all with the spotting scope it locked off easy .
i was using it earlier with my 5dmk111 and 24-105L and had no problems framing (and leveling using the built in level in the cam),i will try it in portrait mode asap

Have you guys checked their site - they do a few models at various prices too - here - from £70 to £122, although some are down to currency exchange rates.

Thanks for the useful review.

I'm tempted to get one myself.

Any body had any problems with this cheapo?

I'm tempted. But I'm put off by the lack of warranty if anything breaks or falls off.

Hmm!

Back