Weir in HDR

Name
Justin
Edit My Images
Yes
Had my D5100 a couple of weeks now and beginning to understand how to use it - I thought I'd give HDR a go but wasn't impressed by the in camera mode so took 3 exposures and used the free HDRtist to put them together.

No tripod so rested the camera against some railing !

thanks

OK....the water blur is corking....however, the HDR is bang on! I mean this is HDR should look. Huge kudos for your restraint.....and LOVE that little bridge.

What HDR is really all about ! Extending the dynamic range for a totally realistic scene !

What HDR is really all about ! Extending the dynamic range for a totally realistic scene !

(y)

glad i saw this..need some pointers on hdr and will try the one you use
cheers
geof

did you use the same f no and alter the speed to take the 3 shots

Is that the weir in Darley Abbey? Looks great, I much prefer HDR shots where you can't tell that HDR's been used

Is that the weir in Darley Abbey? Looks great, I much prefer HDR shots where you can't tell that HDR's been used

What he said...the familiarity of the scene is driving me nuts lol

Love it. I've never even thought of attempting HDR as I don't like the animated feel that it usually exhibits. I would never have been able to tell that it's been used here though. Did you try using a graduated filter to get the same effect?

Hi all - thanks very much for the kind words.

It is indeed the small weir in Darley Abbey :)

I'm not really very technically minded but I set put the camera in Shutter priority mode and started with the shutter speed at 1/30 and went slower until I liked the look. This image was taken at 1/5 and the camera set the aperture at f14.

I don't own a graduated filter and don't really know what they do - I'll consult my book !

(y)

glad i saw this..need some pointers on hdr and will try the one you use
cheers
geof

did you use the same f no and alter the speed to take the 3 shots

see what you mean now - yes they are all the same, just different exposures.

Hi all - thanks very much for the kind words.

It is indeed the small weir in Darley Abbey :)

I'm not really very technically minded but I set put the camera in Shutter priority mode and started with the shutter speed at 1/30 and went slower until I liked the look. This image was taken at 1/5 and the camera set the aperture at f14.

I don't own a graduated filter and don't really know what they do - I'll consult my book !

A graduated filter is clear on one side and dark on the other. It allows you to slow the shutter speed without losing detail in parts of the scene. It's usually used to darken the sky in landscape photos to stop the sky becoming too bright but allow you to get better detail of the land. I need to get a few to start shooting with and was just wandering if they could be used in the above situation as I don't know much about them yet!

Absolutely amazing shot.

I to have the D5100 and have tried the built in HDR, but as you have said i wasn`t that impressed so i use the built in bracketing mode instead.

I purchased a cokin filter kit yesterday, i only have one filter at the moment but i intend to buy graduated filters and try them out, i will post some shots once i have got them.

Is this just a single exposure HDR then, or was it made up of multiple exposures

As everyone above though, great work on the HDR, and if you hadn't have mentioned it i wouldn't have even guessed it was HDR

Is this just a single exposure HDR then, or was it made up of multiple exposures

As everyone above though, great work on the HDR, and if you hadn't have mentioned it i wouldn't have even guessed it was HDR

I used the bracketing exposure and took 3 photos.

Like this one. Some HDR shots are well overdone, but definitely not this one!

Generally I detest HDR - you'll find several comments from me about it, however this is a rare exception where it has been applied really well.

Cracking shot anyway, and I never thought I would say this, but the HDR really lends itself to it.

Again well taken. Im currently addicted to HDR myself and hate over cooked hdr images although some scences do look better with a little hint of the HDR coming though.

The only thing i would say is the sky in the background is a bit distracting just seems a little too bright and bleached out.

on your 3 exposures how many stops did you have between them?

Back