Clack = posh Lomo

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Heres a quick couple of shots with an Agfa Clack, miles cheaper than a Lomo or Holga, and quite a bit better, not that you buy a Lomo for gallery quality prints mind:LOL:
Shoots 120 film @ 6x9, take it from me, prints from these negs would be outstanding, despite my rubbish scan rendition.
I expect slide film to be disgracefully fabulous.
Fuji Neopan 400
usual crap scanner disclaimer applies...

7y70zro.jpg

6xul36v.jpg

02-agfa-clack.jpg

Love the first picture, with the exception of the top right blown part its a corker! (y)

Other than flebay I dunno, they are cheap though.
There is another model called Click, with a more classical appearance, it shoots 6x6.
I fancied a Clack because I have 6x6 allready and I liked the idea that the back of a Clack is curved, it curves the film to try and keep the images sharp, corner to corner across 6x9.
It has 2 settings, sunny = 1/30th @ f/16 and cloudy = 1/30th @ f/11, there is a yellow filter selectable for b/w...oh and bulb for long exposures, heck it even has a shutter release socket.
There is no coating on its plastic lens, hence the flare in the sun, shading it by hand might help.

www.network-error.com/photo/camera/camera-en.htm

flebay

Clack sample gallery

Until this thread I'd never heard of a clack. They look just fabulous and I was off on a hunt to see what I could find out.

Well I saw one on fleabay that was mostly un-noticed and earlier today I became a proud owner. :D

There's a big stash of 120 in the fridge that I'm looking forward to working through. :woot:

Honestly, they're great, talk about uncomplicated stress free snappery, no point in worrying about settings, theres sod all to change:LOL:
If you've got a decent scanner (y)
I shot Bronica from the same place @ 50mm to compare, looking at the Clack negs with a loupe, they're pretty good.
There is bit of softness towards the edges but that could be the film not being flat on the scanner.
My scanner is awfull, I'd post a lot more but its just a waste of effort, can't make a silk purse out of a pigs ear, I spent a lot of time with this, scanning and pp with usm and its still crap.
I'd chuck Bronica if she wasn't so damn gorgeous..*lies*

Ilford 3200 captain grainy but scans nice and flat.

91at1j.jpg

The only thing I can fault the Clack on, is its such a weird fat thing, it won't go in a pocket..

Oooooh, the shot from the SQ is really lovely too. SQ a or b by the way?

I thought the clack would be a wider lens than it is somehow, now real reason for it and I probably never gave it a thought until seeing the side by side with your 50.

You can't get rid of the bronny. I let mine go and I really wish I hadn't. I have a mamiya and bronica 645 now but it's just not the same, not even close to square.

Still, 6x9 is a format I've not had before and I'm pretty excited to get clacking. It should really lend itself to the random and abstract way I shoot. :D

As for a good scanner, nope. Don't have a scanner at all, so anything you see on here will be done with a camera over a lightbox. Then again, would a clack choose anything less??? ;) :LOL:

Not an SQ, nothing that fancy, 1971 EC (electronic control) the shutter speeds are electronicaly timed, no metering, nothing, without a battery it shoots 1/60th only.
90mm is nearly a m/f standard lens, but its not too far off the bronny 50 in 6x9 format.
I had a Mamiya 645 super for a while, but I never connected with it, the same goes for Mamiya 6 rangefinder I have now, I prefer ugly fat boxes with wlfinders:thinking:
Had a good look at the Bronny RF when I fancied a rangefinder, that was a difficult decision, but ended up with Mamiya which I'm gonna let go.
If its any consolation, I can't get my scanner to improve on slide copying, its as good as owt for less than £500.

:woot::woot:

My Clack arrived today and I've opened it up and had a quick handle, even though there are hundreds of other things I should be doing.

All I can say is it's totally fabulous. Photography as it should be, pure and simple. Can't wait to go and spend some film. :D

This whole range of Agfa cameras is fantastic, there are quite a few with very similar traits and feels (I have an Isola II).
I like the shots, good stuff.

Back