The House in the Wood

Name
Duncan
Edit My Images
Yes
This set of images is of a house belonging to a friend of my Mum.
The house is in a woodland clearing on a knoll with sea in the background through the trees. The house is only accessible on foot.
My initial impression was strong and profound. So I asked if I could go back and try to capture an image that summed up how I felt!
The first two are pretty much what I visualised, so that's a result!
But I'm interested in hearing what you lot think.

24mm - the problem was getting far enough away from the house to tell the story about the house in the wood, without getting too much clutter from the trees in-between.
i-pVbzqdT-M.jpg

15mm - the wide angle makes the wood look far more open and quite different to the previous shot. The colour cast between the two lenses is very pronounced, the previous shot has been warmed up in PP but still looks cold!
i-VtMvMK9-M.jpg

8mm - much closer to the house and the tree next to the house becomes the dominant feature.
i-wW6gHFC-M.jpg

8mm from the path leading to the house.
i-579w6Q6-M.jpg

Same settings and same spot but point the lens upwards gives a completely different image.
i-NQrQjcb-M.jpg

Pretty much the same spot as the previous two, but at 15mm. Completely different look to the image and is almost mundane by comparison!
i-4JJHKr3-M.jpg

How do these look to someone who hasn't visited this house?
I've honestly no idea!

I myself prefer the 2nd one in myself. Gives a bit more scale to the house and the slight distortion is just enough not to look to gimmicky "if you know what I mean"

Gaz

Hey Duncan - I reckon the 5th recreates the most magical setting... mysterious with the trees kind of closing you in.

#2 is the best of the bunch for me. Being behind the trees makes it seem like a no go area. A little mysterious.
I wouldn't like to live there tho. Too eerie for me, especially in the dark!

Great set well done.

Back