weekly Z1805's 52 for 2013 - 5+6: Space + Work

Edit My Images
Yes
There are way too many numbers in that title for my liking...

Anyway, I need something like this to keep me motivated now that I'm being left to my own devices, I've not done anything for too long!

I don't really have any rules, it's more important to me to just keep on this and come up with some creative ideas.

Week 1 : Sin
Week 2 : Season
Week 3 : Gravity
Week 4 : Wild
Week 5 : Space
Week 6 : Work
Week 7 :
Week 8 :
Week 9 :
Week 10 :
Week 11 :
Week 12 :
Week 13 :
Week 14 :
Week 15 :
Week 16 :
Week 17 :
Week18 :
Week 19 :
Week 20 :
Week 21 :
Week 22 :
Week 23 :
Week 24 :
Week 25 :
Week 26 :
Week 27 :
Week 28 :
Week 29 :
Week 30 :
Week 31 :
Week 32 :
Week 33 :
Week 34 :
Week 35 :
Week 36 :
Week 37 :
Week 38 :
Week 39 :
Week 40 :
Week 41 :
Week 42 :
Week 43 :
Week 44 :
Week 45 :
Week 46 :
Week 47 :
Week 48 :
Week 49 :
Week 50 :
Week 51 :
Week 52 :

Now to go and try and find the things I need for week 1...

Last edited:
Okay, so the original idea for 'sin' went out the window with my mother and her wedding rings, so I had a quick re-think. The lighting's not fantastic, no where in this old house has decent lighting, and I can never find a make a regular torch do what I want it to. It's a bit noisy as well, but for one of the first photos I've taken in months I'm quite pleased with it.

Week 1 - Sin by z1805, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi ya.....welcome to the nuthouse...glad to see you jumping straight in (y)

do I really have to spend the next 52 weeks refering to you as z1808 ??:LOL:

To the shot....yup , tis a sin for sure , like the angle & the DOF , lighting is something I struggle with as well so not gonna be any help to you with that....I generally end up leaving the room light on , then using card to stop it flooding on to the picture & use a slightly longer shutter speed if that makes sense ? mono works but maybe a slightly lower POV, again use some card for the bg if you need .

Good start & look forward to seeing your project progress (y)

Hi, Sin, own theme for me and B&W emphasises the subject matte

Composition and crop work well. It is a bit dark in places and blown in others, bit as you say, you had to work with the light you had.

Cheers.

Well done z.... Great early start!

I don't have a problem with a bit of dark... especially not with the theme and your interpretation of it.

Ha, sorry, I have a passionate hatred of my name, so I suppose you can just refer to me as Z if that's easier.

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm a bit of a sucker for dark images, and it seemed on topic, but it's really starting to irritate me how blown out some parts of it are, especially on the side nearest the camera. Seeing as how my NY's resolution is to quit, it'll be good if I don't get a chance to retake it :LOL:

Really good start, like it a lot. Well done.

In fairness I think the lighting in your original image works well :)

:

At least get his number right :LOL:

I like the shot, maybe just needind a bit contrast, but laptop not the best for viewing, so maybe its just me
Good to see another fresh idea on topic (y)

nice start agree with the others over lighting but it isn't far off

Maybe I should stop being so fussy and just leave the photographs alone then... or just remember that whatever I think is good one day I'll notice a million flaws in the next and wait until the next day to post them up here.

At least get his number right :LOL:

I like the shot, maybe just needind a bit contrast, but laptop not the best for viewing, so maybe its just me
Good to see another fresh idea on topic (y)

I didn't even notice the mistake with the number! (numbers are evil things, I'm sure I'm going to think it's the wrong week at some point during this year).

I'm on a laptop as well, and edited it before remembering that the angle of the screen makes a huge difference as to the contrast and brightness of the photograph.

I think you have made a good job of this, the angle of the cig packet showing it's empty and the semi crunched up look. One could imagine you have pulled the crushed packet out of your trouser pocket and smoked the last one.

I think that's a great shot Z (you'll have everyone guessing now!). I love the point of view, the depth of field, and the B&W, and also think the darkness works well for the subject. Lighting isn't perfect, but actually works well for the theme I think.

Great start!

great interpretation of the theme.

I really like dark shadowy shots in still life photography so i actually really like the original shot!

Cheers

I really like this, as well as it being extremely seasonal I like the moodiness of the original.

Great start to the year Z (I like that personally, very cool and mysterious!). From my novice eye, the lighting looks spot on on and it's resulted in a great picture, although I hope it will be the last one you photograph if your resolution sticks!

There was actually one fag left in the packet, you can just about see it in there, but it did indeed come straight out of my pocket. I'd been taking photos of two cartons, on the thinking that it was more sinful because there were more of them, but they didn't have quite the same moody look as the crumpled packet.

I'm not sure how it's seasonal though, Kate?

Unfortunately the resolution's already been broken, too tempting when 99% of the people I know smoke... As long as I've stopped by then end of 2013 then I'll be happy.

Can't wait for the text theme now, I'm impatient!

Last edited:
Composition and lighting work well in this shot, I'm just wondering if I would have preferred to see more of the label on the side to save me reading the front upside down.

Composition and lighting work well in this shot, I'm just wondering if I would have preferred to see more of the label on the side to save me reading the front upside down.

Thank you :) That might have been helpful. I've grown up seeing these packets everywhere so I forget that not everyone knows what they say off by heart.

good take on the theme.. I like the lighting.. works well for this shot as does the B+W

The tight crop works well for me on this as does the black and white conversion. Only thing I would consider, would be to have the packet the other way so that the smoking kills is down in the right hand corner.

I tried rotating it, but it didn't look right to me. Maybe if I had shot it that way it would have looked better, or I was just too used to seeing it the current way around. Thanks for the crit though.

good take on the theme.. I like the lighting.. works well for this shot as does the B+W

Thanks, it didn't work at all in colour.

I'm struggling on ideas for this week, but I'm not going to give up with only one week completed! I thought about the weather seasons straight away, thought that would be a bit cliché and then thought about food seasoning, and now everyone seems to be doing that! I can visualise a good shot I could take at work, but the pub's shut while they're doing building work this week so that's not going to happen. Back the drawing board for something original.

Once again as soon as I think I've got stuck I come up with an idea, albeit a poor one. I can't think of anything better for the moment so here it is, seasons of TV programs.

Week 2 - Season by z1805, on Flickr

I promise they won't all be in black and white, colour just looked wrong and too cheerful for the photograph with all the war DVD's. There was no real colour scheme either so it just looked like a bit of a snap. Which it is... Anyway, I took one photograph for the screen - realised after looking on my laptop that I'd taken a better exposed one, but that was before I'd taken mute off and had the symbol on the screen - and another for the DVDs and combined them in elements. I wanted to go for a white background but didn't have a white sheet and a pillowcase was no where near big enough so had to use a black one

I'm not too happy with this, so might do a reshoot if a better idea hits me.

Last edited:
Nice take on the topic, love the vibrancy of the shot.:clap:

Quite like this interpretation of Season. B&W :thinking: any chance of the colour to compare. Looks sharp throughout. Tad of the right for me.

Cheers.

I like it for being in black and white. A good take on the theme too, I wondered when someone would think of it. :)

If it was my shot I would lose some of the blackness from the right hand side, and it's a shame about those cables on the left - perhaps try cloning them out.

Hi Mr Z

I'm liking that....very original take on the theme ..without reading your words I wouldn't have twigged that the large image was a screen...well lit on that , mono suits it to a tee & focus looks spot on & cracking bit of processing with 2 images ...yeah , nice one :clap:
One minor niggle...the cables...I may have been tempted to clone them out ?

I like it, b&w seems to suit it but there does seem to be a bit of dead space on the right and as others have said, the cables seem to stand out against the light table/unit.

Great idea though.

A great idea for the theme. I like the b&w.

Thanks, I wanted to do something original that wasn't raiding the kitchen cupboards or standing outside in the freezing cold for some snow.

Nice take on the topic, love the vibrancy of the shot.:clap:

Thank you.

Quite like this interpretation of Season. B&W :thinking: any chance of the colour to compare. Looks sharp throughout. Tad of the right for me.

Cheers.

It came to me as soon as I wrote that post about not having any ideas springing to mind, probably because I was sitting staring at all my DVDs. I'll post both the colour and a cropped image below.

I like it for being in black and white. A good take on the theme too, I wondered when someone would think of it. :)

If it was my shot I would lose some of the blackness from the right hand side, and it's a shame about those cables on the left - perhaps try cloning them out.

I wasn't sure whether it would work for the theme, especially when I loaded it up and realised that it was called 'series 2' instead of 'season', so glad you think it works.

Doh! I was going to clone out the cables but forgot when I got sidetracked trying to think what I was going to do with the colours and panicking about the exposure of the screen. Gone done that now, will post a revised photo down below with cropping as well.

Liking that idea too... remove the cables and a bit off the right hand and that will be more to my liking (y)

Posting a revised photo below, cables was on my to do list but totally forgot.

Hi Mr Z

I'm liking that....very original take on the theme ..without reading your words I wouldn't have twigged that the large image was a screen...well lit on that , mono suits it to a tee & focus looks spot on & cracking bit of processing with 2 images ...yeah , nice one :clap:
One minor niggle...the cables...I may have been tempted to clone them out ?

The screen was a pain in the rear to get to work right, just thankful I've got a flat screen now. I could of included the edges of the screen but it didn't look quite right with the reflections and glare from the screen (was a bit dirty as well :confused: ) Thanks, not managed to do any processing like that that worked before, so seems to have been a good result at last.

As I said to a couple of others, revised version with those changes below.

I like it, b&w seems to suit it but there does seem to be a bit of dead space on the right and as others have said, the cables seem to stand out against the light table/unit.

Great idea though.

Thanks, cropped and cloned one below. Should really have noticed that there was too much black earlier.

Pretty much what Dk said! B+w works very well for it too.

Thank you.

Okay, as promised both a cropped and cloned version (oh how I miss having CS5 and not Elements 5.0 where everything looks pixelated...) and the colour.

Week 2 - Season (edit) by z1805, on Flickr

Week 2 - Season (colour) by z1805, on Flickr

Great take on the theme and I like it in colour, agree with the other comments about the RH side.

Back