cosina 19-35

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
hi all

just wanted to know if anyone's used this, ideally on ff or canon 5d?

thoughts on its performance?

john

I have one and use it for video/timelapse work where critical sharpness etc isn't as demanding. It's not a fundamentally bad lens, but a high pixel density FF sensor will show up it's flaws. It feels like a cheaper lens as well, but for the moneyit goes for second hand it's pretty good.

If you want to take really high quality super wide angle on full frame there is no cheap option I'm afraid, but if you want acceptable to most, and your on an original 5d it may well be a good option

Last edited:
Ive just bought one for my D700 to replace my nikon 16-35 f/4 VR.

The nikon costs £800
The Cosina, £70..

The Cosina is more than sharp enough for me, the Nikon wasnt that far ahead.
CA is very well controlled, as you can see of the full size of the bottom picture.

The cosina feels cheap and light, but the images it produces are more than acceptable.

There isnt £700+ worth difference between the two IMO.

Cosina 19-35mm f/3.5-4.5 MC by TCR4x4, on Flickr

Sebbe in the snow 2013 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

Robinswood Hill snowday 2013 by TCR4x4, on Flickr

This lens seems to be available with a couple of different makes names on it and it certainly has its fans and is well worth a look IMVHO.

When I looked for one I couldn't find one and ended up getting a Canon 20-35mm instead. The Canon may be worth a look if you can't find a 19-35mm, it's compact and light and has USM but will probably cost you more than the 19-35mm.

Interesting, I've been looking at these as a cheap option for a wide option for my 5D.

Think I might step up my search a bit more in earnest with what I've seen here :D

I had one of these for a while great little lens for the money plastic fantastic indeed. Tom aka tcr4x4 that posted the photos above is now it's proud new owner.

I had one of these for a while great little lens for the money plastic fantastic indeed. Tom aka tcr4x4 that posted the photos above is now it's proud new owner.

Am indeed, fantastic little thing.. Just dont drop it!

As has been said, for the money, it's a great little lens. Small, light, sharp enough and plenty wide for most on FF. I have to admit that I haven't used mine on FF - I use a Sigma 12-24 and 24-70 for those lengths now but I have used it a lot on 35mm film (effectively the same as FF) and Dx.
The only real thing to be aware of is the barrel distortion at the wide end - horizons are best kept in the middle of the frame! It's still a little barrelly at 35mm but not as noticeably, so horizon placement isn't as critical...
It was marketed under the Cosina and Vivitar brands, possibly more - the only differences are the names on the caps and side! Last time I saw one on a dealer's shelf, it was under £100 - excellent VFM.

(I actually still own mine - not valuable enough as a trade in! It's currently on long term loan to a friend who enjoys it as much as I did (on Dx).)

That happened when I looked for one, but you may find a Canon 20-35mm USM that's been overlooked and forgotten in the rush for 19-35mm's.

Back