Pancake lens "anygood"

Edit My Images
Yes
Does anybody use the 40mm pancake lens on a crop sensor?
Is it any good?
Any comments on it would be appreciated! Thanks

im told its better than the 50mm 1.8 its fast and has a good iq

Friend of mine let me borrows his for a day and I quite liked it....added a little more room for play than the 50mm..plus you can still get nice and close for detailed shots...

Thou my friend did have issue with his 650d with focus issues and the lens barrel getting stuck...this was all fix with a new firmware update on the camera....all very odd.

Here’s a few review to cast you eye over...

http://www.dpreview.com/products/canon/lenses/canon_40_2p8_stm/user-reviews

cheers

Dan.

I got the 40mm STM for the wife when she got a 650D and I really like the results she gets. The IQ is very good and the AF speed is faster than a 50 f1.8 and the length on a crop is excellent. I've got a 35 f2 and a 50 f1.4 but I quite regularly borrow the 40 for both my 5D3 and 7D. At the price it is IMO it's a far better buy than the 50 f1.8 as it has a much better build quality and is far more robust.

Is it better than the 50mm in terms of IQ? What's the bokeh like? I'm tempted to sell my 50mm and get it but its f2.8 which is putting me off.

Thanks for replies!

I had a 50mm 1.8 for a couple of months and although I liked the results I didn't get on with focal length and couldn't look past the poor build quality and noisy focus! Call me a snob if you want but it just felt to much like a fisher price toy!
I can't afford any of the other 50mm options so might have a go on 1 of these!!

Back