Samyang 35mm 1.4

Name
Stuart
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone here using one of these or their 24mm.More I read about them the more tempted I am to get one.

I'm also really tempted by these lens, the 35mm gets much better write ups than the 24mm!

Though the 24mm would be a better focal length for me :confused:

Seem to be very few actual user reviews about though :-/

Yes its the 35mm that I have seen most positive reviews on.Certainly looks a very capable lens.Be great to hear from anyone thats compared one to a nikon or canon equivalent on here.

I was looking at this lens, but opted for the new Sigma 1.4 AF. I'm still interested in trying a Sanyang at some point though, I hear so much about them, and they are pretty cheap. Might grab a 14mm at some point, as MF should be a cinch that wide.

The 24mm is the weakest of the bunch according to reviews.

Sigma iis out of my price range but does look very nice!

Manual focus with a DSLR for anything other than macro or close stuff is beyond my eyes and patience. 150mm? ok. 85mm? Possibly ok. Wide angle? Unless doing hyperfocal or zone focusing, Urgh. Give me AF.

The 35mm is pretty easy to focus, even at F1.4. Slightly better with a EES or EGS screen though. Fantastic lens, very sharp wide open and nice bokeh. Bargain, only catch is no AF so moving objects are tough.

Last edited:
My thinking and experience is that with a wider lens unless you are pretty much on top of your subject whatever your point of focus is will be relatively small in the frame and therefore harder to see and focus on. f1.4 with a DSLR? Meh. Not for me unless the subject is very large in the frame but of course with many lenses what you see through the VF is the widest aperture unless you press the preview button.

With wider lenses, select f8-12 or so and it's easy to zone focus, focus at a distance or at infinity if the lens has a scale but mostly I gave up manual focusing with DSLR's unless the subject is big in the VF.

With MFT I use manual most of the time, the difference being that I can call up a magnified view which make MF a real and viable option for me.

Last edited:
I would only use a very wide angle lens for scenics or architecture. Can't be too hard get a huge building in focus? :) And pretty much infinity for landscape?

sometimes infinity is not exactly infinity, and f/1.4 is more delicate than a relatively compact viewfinder may show.

Get video version of the lens so than that is at least very good for one job.

Canon users can at least get Nikon version with AF confirm chip adapter provided it doesn't mess up focal plane allignment

Back