Monthly Hugh's 12 2013 ETC

Name
Hugh Williams
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok,

So as it is getting close to the end of the month, here is my rather poor attempt at Physiograms. I was struggling to cut out enough of the ambient light, and these are rather full crops (as the ceiling was rather far away from my 10-20!

In lightroom develop tab, these are all appearing nicely lit, however when I export them and view the jpeg, they are loosing roughly around 50% of the light trails.... which I cannot seem to fix!

These were created by attaching about a 50cm shoelace to the ceiling with 2/3 different coloured LED lights I had lying around (these are the original colours just tweaked slightly). Unfortunately the LEDs were not really bright enough. The camera was first placed on the floor below, and then on a chair to try and get closer!

Physiograms by hughwi, on Flickr

Last edited:
I'm also interested in how you did this, it's great, different to most if not all of the other ones posted this month. Nice choice of colour too.

These were all shot from below, although I suppose the only difference was that I deliberately did not spin the LED in a circle, I was aiming for diagonals, although gravity always won out and the end and created the tight circle before the LED came to rest!

Hi Hugh.

I love your physiograms big time; there's something a little different about them, and you've got some great shapes :)

I'm afraid city lights doesn't work at all for me; it's incredibly noisy. What camera/settings did you use for that; the EXIF data isn;t on Flickr.

Contre Jour is also quite noisy (nothing like city lights though), but in this case it works very well. It has a kind of road trip feel to it!

Hi Hugh.

I love your physiograms big time; there's something a little different about them, and you've got some great shapes :)

I'm afraid city lights doesn't work at all for me; it's incredibly noisy. What camera/settings did you use for that; the EXIF data isn;t on Flickr.

Contre Jour is also quite noisy (nothing like city lights though), but in this case it works very well. It has a kind of road trip feel to it!

The physiograms were really good fun to create, and I think they were helped by the fact I had no idea what I was doing = originality at least!

I agree, the city lights looks pretty terrible on a desktop screen (it was ok on the phone). - Just to complete my quota for January.

The Contre Jour shot was grabbed quickly while crossing the airport runway, so I didnt have much chance to mess with the options on the phone.

They were both taken with the camera+ app, and PP'd a little bit in-phone, but I think I may have gone too far (the phone screen doesnt show anywhere near as much noise as my desktop!).

Hi Hugh, I hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd have a play with your shot in Lightroom. It'll never be perfect in low light from a phone, but maybe this will give you some idea what's possible in terms of noise reduction. At least now the noise isn't completely dominating.

The compromise is that you lose sharpness.

20130202-014327.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

20130208-104754.jpg by MarkBerry1963, on Flickr

Back