Diploma in Professional Photography (DiPP) - inst.org

Name
Greg
Edit My Images
Yes
Alrigthy then, so I enrolled on this course (http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm) at the start on Jan 2013.
I'll use this thread to try and keep a basic track of my progress through the course, I also have a blog but that is for myself and my tutor until the course is finished.
Also I'll try to answer any questions anyone else might have about this course if they are thinking of enrolling or already have and need a little help.

Flickr Group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/dppcourse/

Below is copied from my posts in another thread.
Pack arrived today, will post some pics tomrrow of whats inside, as with previous posts its looks almost perfect. Theres plenty to read this week, theres a book - Photos That Seel, Lee Frost in the blue folder with a reference sheet to some of the moduels which is handy too.

N6rRh.jpg

5bJij.jpg

I'm going to be shooting Assignment 3 this weekend all going well. Have already started reading the start of Module 4 and might shoot the 4.1 Exercise this weekend too if I have time and the weather holds out.

Last edited:
I've subscribed too, will be very interested to see how things develop as I'm on the verge of joining either this or the other one!

I've hovered above the 'buy' button on this one too, I also will be watching with interest... Good luck :)

good luck, will be interesting to see how valuable this course is, if it looks good I will be giving it a whirl in March after my bonus!

I've subscribed to this. I'm interested as to how you get on and the types of assignment you have to do.. Oh and how long it takes :) keep it updated! (y)

Where are you in oxon?

I live in Didcot ... will be interesting when I get to the "Conduct a Photo Shoot for Tourism" assignment... freight trains and a power station lol.

Heres the basic course outline module by module.
http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/syllabus.htm

This is the first training course I've done online, I was very sceptical about what I was going to get for the money. For a scuffed course what was delivered is in near perfect condition. The two big folders are basically printed versions of the course. All the literature is available online too which is very handy if you’re away from home or want to look something up when you’re out (smart phones FTW!).
The blue folder has a CD with some useful documents (model release templates etc) on it and the GIMP editing software. Theres also some study/learning support literature and a book. The book is related reading and has a bit of paper with it indexing which chapters are good to read when you get to certain modules.

I've always enjoyed taking photos ... but it was pretty much always that. So far the course has already got me thinking a lot more and looking at photos in a different way. I'm pretty excited about what I'll learn along the way, its going to be challenging.

wow I have very similar package as yours for my Interior Design course!!

Yep, the Blackford Centre run many other distance learning courses too apart from the DiPP course. Probably a similar structure but very different content :)

Thanks also everyone else for your support!

Last edited:
19ninety said:
I live in Didcot ... will be interesting when I get to the "Conduct a Photo Shoot for Tourism" assignment... freight trains and a power station lol.

Heres the basic course outline module by module.
http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/syllabus.htm

This is the first training course I've done online, I was very sceptical about what I was going to get for the money. For a scuffed course what was delivered is in near perfect condition. The two big folders are basically printed versions of the course. All the literature is available online too which is very handy if you’re away from home or want to look something up when you’re out (smart phones FTW!).
The blue folder has a CD with some useful documents (model release templates etc) on it and the GIMP editing software. Theres also some study/learning support literature and a book. The book is related reading and has a bit of paper with it indexing which chapters are good to read when you get to certain modules.

I've always enjoyed taking photos ... but it was pretty much always that. So far the course has already got me thinking a lot more and looking at photos in a different way. I'm pretty excited about what I'll learn along the way, its going to be challenging.

Yep, the Blackford Centre run many other distance learning courses too apart from the DiPP course. Probably a similar structure but very different content :)

Thanks also everyone else for your support!

I spend a lot of time in cholsy. Will be interesting to see what photos you come up with in that area.

Mmmm this isn't a dupe is it and the OP is from the company?
After all this is his target audience.....

Mmmm this isn't a dupe is it and the OP is from the company?
After all this is his target audience.....

That'd be like anyone who owns a Nikon who praises Nikon on this forum being suspected of working from Nikon.

I understand what your saying though having seen some of the posts by 1 post members in the various course threads.

Anyway, not a dupe!

I havent posted much on TP to be honest but I was searching about courses and found several threads on here so registered.
http://dpnow.com/forum2/member.php?u=653

Last edited:
Dedicated thread, superb.

I enrolled week before Xmas, tutor is pro photographer and writer Jeremy Webb. So far so good. Feedback on the two modules as been very good and constructive. Working on assignment for mod 5 at present.

Will subscribe to thread and hopefully we can work and support each other along the way.

Regards

Steve (west yorkshire)

I spend a lot of time in cholsy. Will be interesting to see what photos you come up with in that area.

Only lived here for a couple of years and havent really checked out the Wallingford area much (girlfriend keeps says she'd like to head over that way for a few walks, there and Goring), work & baby have pretty much taken over recently :( have been to Abbingdon a few times which is pretty nice... cant wait for the summer time as little one will be walking = lots of family days out!!

Dedicated thread, superb.

I enrolled week before Xmas, tutor is pro photographer and writer Jeremy Webb. So far so good. Feedback on the two modules as been very good and constructive. Working on assignment for mod 5 at present.

Will subscribe to thread and hopefully we can work and support each other along the way.

Regards

Steve (west yorkshire)

Hi Steve, I figured it would save any confusion between this and The PI course which the other thread is titled as being about.
My tutor is also Jeremy and had very positive and motivational feedback in reply to my first assignment, which gave me a great boost and helped reassure me this isnt money for nothing!
Kinda wish it was Sunday already so I can get assignment 3 shot.

Alrigthy then, so I enrolled on this course (http://www.inst.org/photography-courses/become.htm) at the start on Jan 2013.
I'll use this thread to try and keep a basic track of my progress through the course, I also have a blog but that is for myself and my tutor until the course is finished.
Also I'll try to answer any questions anyone else might have about this course if they are thinking of enrolling or already have and need a little help.

Flickr Group:
http://www.flickr.com/groups/dppcourse/

Below is copied from my posts in another thread.
Pack arrived today, will post some pics tomrrow of whats inside, as with previous posts its looks almost perfect. Theres plenty to read this week, theres a book - Photos That Seel, Lee Frost in the blue folder with a reference sheet to some of the moduels which is handy too.

N6rRh.jpg

5bJij.jpg

I'm going to be shooting Assignment 3 this weekend all going well. Have already started reading the start of Module 4 and might shoot the 4.1 Exercise this weekend too if I have time and the weather holds out.

Looks very interesting and quite afforable.

I new here so forgive me from asking, what are you hoping to gain through this course? Are you looking to turn photography into your income?

Has any-one on this course asked to see if being a student of this particular course qualifies for student discount on software?

Looks very interesting and quite afforable.

I new here so forgive me from asking, what are you hoping to gain through this course? Are you looking to turn photography into your income?

Hi and welcome!
I decided to do the course as I wanted to learn more about photography and I needed some kind of focused learning rather than the "free" online tutorials etc that are everywhere online. Also having paid money for it is a another incentive to make sure I finish the course.
So I hope to learn more about photography and how to take better photos and become a (better) photographer ... if I make some money then its a bonus but if it became a feasible way to make a living that would be most incredibly good!!!
There was chap in another thread who had covered the cost of his course fee before finishing it through work generated just by doing the course itself.

Has any-one on this course asked to see if being a student of this particular course qualifies for student discount on software?

I dont think the course directly qualifies you for anything discounted, which is a shame as a discounted copy of PS Elements would have been nice.
Though once enrolled on the course you can apply for a NUS Extra student discount card, £11 or £12 per year and gets you discounts on a whole bunch of things ... mine arrived Weds but I havent had time to look over all the offers on the NUS site yet.
HTH.

A Quick update on discounted software entitlement! Looks like the DiPP course just got me 80% off PS CS6 and Lightroom 4!!!!!!

Adobe Case Update and Feedback Opportunity

Your Adobe ID:****
Your Case Number:****

With this response, we believe your issue is resolved and have therefore closed your case ****. If your support case has not been completed to your satisfaction or you should you need to contact us on this issue again, please reference your case number. You can reopen your case up to 14 days after it has been closed.

Hello Greg,

Thank you for contacting Adobe.

Thank you for updating the case. We really appreciate your time and patience in this regard. We have successfully processed your order. Below are the product credentials:

Product : CS6 Photoshop Extended

Serial Number : ****-****-****-****-****-****

Platform : Windows

Language : EU English

We are pleased to inform you that we have gone ahead and registered your new serial number under your Adobe account to have a record in case you loose it and need it for re-installation in the future. In order to locate your serial number, please log in to your Adobe account and view under "My Products".

For additional information regarding registration, please visit : http://www.adobe.com/support/registration.html.

You can use this link to view the contact details for further assistance: http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/contact.html

Your customer identification number is : ****

Enjoy your new software .

Your feedback is important to us. Please take a moment to let us know how we're performing against your expectations by completing our survey.

Take the survey

To review your case history or reopen the case, log in to the Adobe Support Portal online and look for your case number in the "recent activity" section. If you have difficulties logging in, consult the Adobe ID and Membership FAQ.

Thank you,

Adobe Customer Care

Awesome! (y)

Last edited:
19ninety said:
Only lived here for a couple of years and havent really checked out the Wallingford area much (girlfriend keeps says she'd like to head over that way for a few walks, there and Goring), work & baby have pretty much taken over recently :( have been to Abbingdon a few times which is pretty nice... cant wait for the summer time as little one will be walking = lots of family days out!!

Hi Steve, I figured it would save any confusion between this and The PI course which the other thread is titled as being about.
My tutor is also Jeremy and had very positive and motivational feedback in reply to my first assignment, which gave me a great boost and helped reassure me this isnt money for nothing!
Kinda wish it was Sunday already so I can get assignment 3 shot.

Goring is a really nice place!

Assignment 3 submitted. Shoot went well but inexperience with photographing people was obvious and very apparent in the end photos. There is a lot to be learned from this assignment for me!
Had hoped to do Exercise 4.1 that evening but it didn’t work out, a bit annoying is that every evening last week had lovely sunsets ... but all before I finish work and then it rained all weekend, typical! FingerS crossed for next weekend and lighter evenings.

Hi and welcome!
I decided to do the course as I wanted to learn more about photography and I needed some kind of focused learning rather than the "free" online tutorials etc that are everywhere online. Also having paid money for it is a another incentive to make sure I finish the course.
So I hope to learn more about photography and how to take better photos and become a (better) photographer ... if I make some money then its a bonus but if it became a feasible way to make a living that would be most incredibly good!!!
There was chap in another thread who had covered the cost of his course fee before finishing it through work generated just by doing the course itself.

Thanks for the reply, think I will seriously look into starting this. Maybe a structured approach is what is needed for myself.

What sort of subject areas are covered by the assignments I'm interested but I want to make sure that I would be able to find suitable subject material for the assignments. i.e. I noticed that there are modules for wedding photography but I have no interest at all in photographing a wedding is that going to be a problem?

What sort of subject areas are covered by the assignments I'm interested but I want to make sure that I would be able to find suitable subject material for the assignments. i.e. I noticed that there are modules for wedding photography but I have no interest at all in photographing a wedding is that going to be a problem?

Hi,
The course covers pretty much all aspects of photography, though it doesnt focus in detail on any niche. It seems to be designed to show you and make you try to a degree all the core areas, portrait, landscape, wedding etc, as well as an understanding of relevant fundamentals like influencing factors and compositions and essays to show you recognise these things in each assignment. It also covers the basic business side of photography such as marketing yourself, building a client base and so on. Its giving me a bit of direction that I was lacking before and I'm learning basic stuff which I was doing before without understanding why. Looking forward to getting into the rest of the course!

Regarding the wedding modules, these were what bothered me the most too. Wedding photography doesnt interest me at all either, neither does photographing people, however ... I think its going to be good to have to try things I dont think I will like ... because I might just find a taste for them!

For the wedding assignment you dont have to attend an actual wedding. It can be a mock up with a couple of friends outside a local church. The idea is to do a mock wedding shoot, so all the cliché shots, plus an essay to show your understanding of what involved - weather, background, poses, available room/space/lighting.

HTH

Good luck fella.
Keep us all updated.
Very interesred in following this as I am about to sign up when March bonus comes in :)

Hi,

Regarding the wedding modules, these were what bothered me the most too. Wedding photography doesnt interest me at all either, neither does photographing people, however ... I think its going to be good to have to try things I dont think I will like ... because I might just find a taste for them!

HTH

It might come handy one day in the future. Perhaps a friend or a distant cousin of yours might want you to take photography for a cheaper rate.

Good luck fella.
Keep us all updated.
Very interesred in following this as I am about to sign up when March bonus comes in :)

Thanks and I will do! Should get Exercises 4.1, 4.2 & 4.3 (and maybe 4.4 & 4.5 at a push) done this weekend after buggering about fixing the car all last weekend which annoyed me. Thats weather and family permitting, busy busy busy!!!

March discount... boo, wish I had waited a bit :(

It might come handy one day in the future. Perhaps a friend or a distant cousin of yours might want you to take photography for a cheaper rate.

Well you say that ... I've been asked to shoot at a charity event in the summer. FOC of course being a charity but they'll give me a credit on their site. Excited and a little anxcious but I'll have a load more experience before then so it'll be interesting, first steps into event photogrpahy.
Confidence is up right now and weather is helping ... if someone asked me I'd bite their hand off!

Last edited:
Module 4 is almost completed. Finally finished all the exercises, there an optional assessment to do too, which isn’t marked by my tutor that I'm slowly working on as this is a busy month with family stuff (birthday, Mother's Day and a wedding).
I've been playing with photomicrography when I have time (not much atm) so that will be the genre I'll base Assignment 4 on. There are a couple of experimental photos on my shiny new 500px page: http://500px.com/19ninety

I'll try to get more stuff up there eventually... I've got a huge back log of photos that need sorting and processing plus I need to get my own website finished off properly (rather than just a scrolling gallery) as well as get one sorted out for the other half and her business... at some point.

I was really looking forward to the Infant Photography module as I have a 1 year old, however, it appears to just be a module that’s been inserted between Modules 4 and 5, it’s presented in a different format and has no exercises sadly. That said it’s given me a few good ideas to try with my daughter. Also my fiancée is qualified in pregnancy and baby massage so we have a bit of a plan in the making!

On to Module 5!

module 5 completed and good marks plus excellent feedback. Tourism next, any ideas????

A Quick update on discounted software entitlement! Looks like the DiPP course just got me 80% off PS CS6 and Lightroom 4!!!!!!

Awesome! (y)

How did you get this in the end ? Did you have to mail Adobe direct to have it verified ?

module 5 completed and good marks plus excellent feedback. Tourism next, any ideas????

Well I try not to get to far ahead reading the modules etc to stop me getting even more distracted. I have a done a tiny bit of thinking on the travel/tourism one. I guess as where I live there is no beach, themepark, royal palace or disney land ... I'll be trying to look at the area from the perspective of someone who doesnt live here. Google is your friend, you may find places you never knew existed or took for granted as local surroundings which would be potential attractions to visitors.

How did you get this in the end ? Did you have to mail Adobe direct to have it verified ?

When you buy the student edition you just get the CD and no serial. You have to register an account with Adobe and then submit the relivant proof to them and they then email the serial, as you can see above :D:D
One of the rare times gambling has paid off for me.

Last edited:
I've recently registered on this course as well so have also subscribed to the thread (y)

When you buy the student edition you just get the CD and no serial. You have to register an account with Adobe and then submit the relivant proof to them and they then email the serial, as you can see above :D:D
One of the rare times gambling has paid off for me.

What did you use as proof ? This been an online course you just can't get your tutor / collage to varify it on letter headed paper.

I've recently registered on this course as well so have also subscribed to the thread (y)

Good luck, if you get stuck at all just ask and we'll try to help :)

What did you use as proof ? This been an online course you just can't get your tutor / collage to varify it on letter headed paper.

I sent in a copy of the cover letter and the header letter that is supplied as proof of being on the course along with the invoice for the course. Those had all my details on; name, address, email, phone number, course and learner ID.

I sent in a copy of the cover letter and the header letter that is supplied as proof of being on the course along with the invoice for the course. Those had all my details on; name, address, email, phone number, course and learner ID.

Thanks for that , time to part with some cash . Now where's that scuffed course link lol .

(Meant to post this last Sunday but guess what ... I didnt get time :( )
Hi,
Just checking in, this thread is not dead, honest!
Been a busy few months with getting my partners website up and running, work, overtime, illness, trying to shake a few lbs for the summer and Dad duties. Feels like everything is trying to stop me getting back on with my course work recently! I did manage to get a few more exercises done of Module 5 on Sunday so need to try and get them noted up this week between work and home life etc, then on to get Assessment 5 done!
Off to cover a charity event on Saturday which will be a new experience so wish me luck!

Hi Guys,

I’m looking for a little bit of advice.
I’m thinking of signing up to this course but I’m a little apprehensive at the moment. At the moment I am working in Kandahar Afghanistan and will be for the next year and possibly longer so I think I will be struggling to get the shots I would need for some of the assignments I would need to do. Being out here gives me plenty of time to get on and do the course with little distraction but I feel I am limited in what I can shoot. I do get back to the UK every 3 months so I was thinking, if I shoot as much as I can when I am back home then I can always PP the pictures once I return back to Kandahar.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

With this course are you required to submit pictures for every module.

Last edited:
With this course are you required to submit pictures for every module.

Not all modules have an assignment at the end. Some are optional which you do not have to submit.

Back