My latest camera Olympus -35 SP

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Last edited:
I've been after a 35sp for ages had one for a day of eBay but the condition was shocking so it had to go back!

They are silly money on Ebay this was £100 from a good shop.

More info HERE

Alf, looks a great camera. Like Alex I have wanted one for some time. 'King of the Trips', although that is probably an understament.

Olympus was for many years the best source of cameras that could spot meter and yours looks a fine example!

I got mine about a month ago, I just got a battery for the metering, the viewfinder patch/meter scale is pretty much non-existant when on light, if you put your finger over the viewfinder making it black you can just about make it out. What's it like on yours? I'm pretty sure i got the right battery, that wouldn't effect the actual visibility of the needle/patch would it? I got it for a ridiculously low price (£60 posted) so not sure wether to send back or just guess exposures..

When I went into the shop I asked for an interseting film camera under £100 pound. I have a folder so wanted something elseAs soon as I held this I wanted it.

Alf, looks a great camera. Like Alex I have wanted one for some time. 'King of the Trips', although that is probably an understament.

Olympus was for many years the best source of cameras that could spot meter and yours looks a fine example!

My research is showing what a good camera it is as seen in the link in my other post.

I got mine about a month ago, I just got a battery for the metering, the viewfinder patch/meter scale is pretty much non-existant when on light, if you put your finger over the viewfinder making it black you can just about make it out. What's it like on yours? I'm pretty sure i got the right battery, that wouldn't effect the actual visibility of the needle/patch would it? I got it for a ridiculously low price (£60 posted) so not sure wether to send back or just guess exposures..

You shoulkd use a 1.3v battery for a hearing aid but mine has a battery already.
They are on Ebay for over £200 mate. The meter display is not that easy to see but tilting it makes it easier to see. The metering seems to be working.

From what I can tell it should be easy to sell if you dont like it.

You shoulkd use a 1.3v battery for a hearing aid but mine has a battery already.
They are on Ebay for over £200 mate. The meter display is not that easy to see but tilting it makes it easier to see. The metering seems to be working.

From what I can tell it should be easy to sell if you dont like it.

The one i've got in is 1.5v, i think its a PX625. Could you do me a huge favour and take the battery out to see if the battery actually illuminates the meter dial? If not i'll just guess my exposures.

Looks very nice. Anyone able to run me through the slightly confusing trip line up? I have a 45 trip which I think is the most basic model? I've also seen the RD and RC I think and the SP. Just wondered what they each bring to the party.

The one i've got in is 1.5v, i think its a PX625. Could you do me a huge favour and take the battery out to see if the battery actually illuminates the meter dial? If not i'll just guess my exposures.

The scale is not illuminated by the battery. Apparantly t you get 1.3v zinc air hearing batteries in most chemist that will run the meter.
You can a manual HERE if you hant already

Gad Westy
A great place for info is HERE classic 35 mm Loy cameras

Last edited:
Looking good Alf, very nice camera, glad you like it.
Have you put a film through yet? be nice to see the outcome.
Going into Manchester next week so I will drop the SP in and see if I can get a quote for repair, hope it's ecconomical!

Alf, forgot to tell you about THIS very usefull write up on the SP!

Baz
he film is at about 24 exposures so far but will soon be finished it was loaded before I left the shop.

I did find that one as I didnt really know what I had bought but loved it as soon as it appeared from the cabinet. I need to put a strap on it though.

Baz
he film is at about 24 exposures so far but will soon be finished it was loaded before I left the shop.

I did find that one as I didnt really know what I had bought but loved it as soon as it appeared from the cabinet. I need to put a strap on it though.

I have what I think is an original strap for the SP, but it's the thin one (plastic) I wont use it, as I prefer the woven wider one with the Olympus name on it. If you wish, you can have it for free.

It's THIS one

Last edited:
I have what I think is an original strap for the SP, but it's the thin one (plastic) I wont use it, as I prefer the woven wider one with the Olympus name on it. If you wish, you can have it for free.

Thanks for the generous offer but my plan is to put Olympus DSLR strap on it and get a new strap for my E-620

The first film is out but I seem to have a winder issue as I must have fire the shutter 40 times on a 24 roll

The first film is out but I seem to have a winder issue as I must have fire the shutter 40 times on a 24 roll

Maybe that it is a double wind to cock the shutter or not, take an old film and load and watch what happen on each wind with the back open.

Maybe that it is a double wind to cock the shutter or not, take an old film and load and watch what happen on each wind with the back open.

If its a double wind and cock it fauly as one stroke winds and cocks it and it wont wind any further.

Playing with seems to show that mechanism is slipping when under tension.

If its a double wind and cock it fauly as one stroke winds and cocks it and it wont wind any further.

Playing with seems to show that mechanism is slipping when under tension.

Agreed, that,s why I suggested wasting an old film to see what is actually happening, you must find a solution as it is just a brilliant camera.(y)

Jealous here! A Camera I would dearly love to own, just can't afford one at present!

Just a question, how does the Spot metering work? How does it actually measure light in a camera like this?

Follow the link Baz posted in post 13 is all I can say

Agreed, that,s why I suggested wasting an old film to see what is actually happening, you must find a solution as it is just a brilliant camera.(y)

I will do what I can to sort it out

Jealous here! A Camera I would dearly love to own, just can't afford one at present!

When I get the winder sorted I will be happy

Well this turned out be nothing more than user incompeteance and I didnt expose the film for the first 20 shutter activations. The film was not loaded correctly and the film only picked up on the sprockets later in after a while.

I have some really sharp shots that I will show when I get time. I am really pleased with this camera. The shots that arent sharp are down my focusing or getting too close.

I rang the Real Camera company who I bought this from to see if I could get it repaired and was told it is under warranty and if it was faulty they would have repaired it for me.

Last edited:
Big of you to own up to being incompetant Alf! :D
Dont worry, your not the first. Did it with my Pen EE on the first roll, I double check it now!.
Glad it's all ok and not needing taking back!

Hurry up posting that first roll!

Back