Reading shutter actuations for a 7D or other newer Canon DSLR on a Mac

Edit My Images
Yes
On another thread I recently tried explaining how to find out the shutter actuations of a Canon 7D on a Mac. It is a messy process though as it involves a 4GB download and having to use the Terminal. So I decided to put together a simple app to do it instead.

You can get it here:
http://southwest16.com/use/shuttercounter-1.0.zip

The app should run on OS X 10.6 or greater (tested on 10.7.5 and 10.8.2), just plug in your camera using its USB cable, run it, then click the refresh button. It can take several seconds to connect with the camera so just wait.

I believe it should work with any of the following models (or later in the same range): 1000D, 550D, 50D, 7D, 5DII, 1DII. I have tested it with a 7D successfully.

And you must quit before either switching off (or letting sleep) or unplugging your camera or the app will crash.

Good job, has anyone tried this yet?

Works for both my 450D and 5D II on 10.8.3.

Thanks for writing this. :)

work ok wth 5d3

how accurate is the shutter count ??

done a test three actuations from said count and it was spot on

would you mind if i post the link on anther forum i am a member of i a sure the members would be
very thank full

alan

Last edited:
I think Eoscount now works on the mac but it's for Version 10.1 (Lion) software onwards but it might save you guys from a lengthy download. Nice to see someone sharing the knowledge though, well done mij.

It worked fine on a 50D and a 1D IV, and unlike Eoscount it's free (y)

I didn't think I've taken nearly 70 thousand shot on my 1D already :eek:

I also have a 30D that I try it on later just to see if it works.

It eventually work on my Canon 6D but did not identify the camera model and referred to it a PTP class camera! It did however recognise the serial no.

The app uses an open source library (libgphoto2) to communicate with the camera, and if it cannot connect the Canon-specific way it will try the generic PTP mode instead. Which makes that a bit strange as the 6D is listed as being compatible with the version of the library used (2.4.14) so should not need to do that.

But as it otherwise works I guess it is nothing to worry about.

Incidentally, since i wrote my one there are now other (and probably much more reliable) apps to show the shutter count, although they are not free. I have not tried them but EOS Inspector in the Mac App Store is £1.49, whilst EOS Count from http://eoscount.com/ apparently charges each time you check!

Its works! Thanks man

EOSinfo is free

Can you not just open the latest image in preview and open the info box (cmd-i)? This is how I do it with my Nikon anyway, at the bottom it gives you the image number, which is the shutter count.

At the bottom is a link to a free programme, no spam, I have used to get the proper full shutter count on any Canon camera, even the 1D MK IV....

Snerkler, what you suggest is possible.
However, (you knew this was coming) some cameras are second hand and unless a person keeps a strict count for every 10k of images 9,999 exactly the counter reverts back to zero.
So if you don't keep a count of how many times you have tripped over then it's anyones guess if you camera doesn't set the info into the meta data for places like eos count etc to tell you.
But, this may be different for Nikon.
I had this with my 1D MKIV and now with the 1D X MKII this 9,999 trip counter is still in place.
There are places that for a small fee will tell you.
There is also a computer programme I once had for Astrology which when you used you camera as a star gazing lens oddly also gave you the proper full shutter count.
Here is the link to this Astro programme even if you think you aren't interested in the Stars give it a go it is far more interesting than you might think and of course it will give you full shutter count.

Snerkler, what you suggest is possible.
However, (you knew this was coming) some cameras are second hand and unless a person keeps a strict count for every 10k of images 9,999 exactly the counter reverts back to zero.
So if you don't keep a count of how many times you have tripped over then it's anyones guess if you camera doesn't set the info into the meta data for places like eos count etc to tell you.
But, this may be different for Nikon.
I had this with my 1D MKIV and now with the 1D X MKII this 9,999 trip counter is still in place.
The file numbers on the camera revert back to zero but the overall image count/shutter count displayed by Mac info doesn't. Mine's now showing over 53k.

Is this becuase you have a Nikon Snerkler?
Or do you also have Canon?
I have had Canon cameras with no problems in finding the count while others have been.

Is this becuase you have a Nikon Snerkler?
Or do you also have Canon?
I have had Canon cameras with no problems in finding the count while others have been.
No I don't have Canon hence me asking if it shows the same info ;) Actually, on saying that I do have a Canon, the G7x, but I don't think compacts show actuations like DSLRs.

Back