First Timelapse - Loudoun Hill Sunset Timelapse

Edit My Images
Yes
This is my first 'proper' attempt at a timelapse video and I'm looking for a bit of a critique plus possibly a bit of help identifying (and rectifying) a problem I've identified with the video.

First a little background of the shot. When I selected the top of Loudoun Hill as a location I had intended to use the monument on the summit as my foreground interest in the composition of my shot. However, unfortunately when I arrived the monument wasn't looking particularly photogenic (being covered in a not insignificant amount of bird droppings), so I was forced to look elsewhere. The only other thing of interest was a solitary tree, but I couldn't figure out a way to make it work due to its position and the surrounding stones and vegetation. Thus, eager to make a start I just decided to use the town of Darvel as my foreground interest (thinking the lights coming on in the town could look quite good after sunset). I chose to shoot in aperture priority mode to automatically handle the large variation in light level and RAW mode to give me the most flexibility should I choose to do anything in post processing. I used a 15 second interval and shot a total of 461 files over a roughly 2 hour period from just over an hour before sunset to just over an hour after it.

So, to the video (click through to the video page, I don't see a way to embed SmugMug videos on the forum here):

Music credit:
New Direction Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

There are 2 things I'd point out. The first is that since this was shot in aperture priority mode the end of the timelapse doesn't look too dark (but you can tell from the length of the car lights on the road to the left that they were fairly long exposures). I considered post processing a number of frames (e.g. the last 50 or 75) to make them increasingly darker to more closely replicate the conditions my eyes were seeing, but for the moment I've left the shots at their actual exposures.

The second issue (and the one I'm seeking advice for) is the strange concentric circular banding which happens mostly in the sky, radiating out from the position of the sun. I believe this is due to the deflickering method I've chosen to use to try and alleviate the problem of exposure flickering resulting from choosing aperture priority mode. I used the TimelapseDF filter for AVISynth in the (default) MFR mode. The original forum thread for the filter discusses this banding issue a number of times, but I don't see a real resolution to the issue. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to a fix (or an alternative method for exposure deflickering) that I could try? I've already looked at this deflicker filter for VirtualDub, but it produces a strange local flickering around the sun similar to what you can see in the middle pane of this sample video. I've tried downloading to implement the filter displayed in the right pane of that video (i.e. Deflicker 1.3b1 Improved), but I cannot build the filter due to a supposed dependency problem with the supplied source code. I may try to chase down a solution to that problem, but in the meantime I'd appreciate any suggestions you could give me.

I'd also welcome any other more general points of feedback about the video. Thanks for reading.

I like that. Unless i missed it somewhere in all the text, what software did you use to put it all together

Jus looks like a shot of the sky.... Lil bit of colour but cnt really see much in the shot sorry

Did you just look at the still frame that's visible or did you actually watch the video (as Jake suggests)? If you watched the video and think that way do you have any suggestions on how I could improve (either by re-framing the shot or by some difference in technique/composition etc)?

I really like that! Very well done, I love how it all lights up!

I like it also - something different to consider trying myself

I like that. Unless i missed it somewhere in all the text, what software did you use to put it all together

Thanks all :)

In terms of software I wrote an AVISynth script to import the images, add the audio track and output the result as a video using VirtualDub to process the AVISynth script. Then I used a separate AVISynth script to apply the TimelapseDF filter to the video to try and remove the flickering due to the small changes in exposure between frames. So it's a two-step process in my case (one to create the video from the separate images and audio track and the other to try and remove the flickering). With a timelapse where you use fixed exposure settings (shooting in manual mode without changing anything during the shoot, for instance) you wouldn't have to do the deflickering stage. I think a number of applications will output timelapse sequences for you by default (or will have plugins available to do so), but I chose this way to try and retain more control over the procedure for my first time.

Looks a good timelapse, think the stuttering your on about could be the iso changing, or did you have it on manual. Looks like it could have been manual!!.
Iv'e used this program if you have LR to use it with.
Its very good to get rid of the flickering, and a common problem on a timelapse.
http://lrtimelapse.com/

Thanks, I do use Lightroom, so I'll take a look into that plugin. I was using aperture value exposure for the shoot. I did manually control the ISO throughout the process (starting at 100 and then moving to 200 and 400 when the shutter speed got over 1 second and 5 seconds respectively). To give you an idea how dark it was when I finished the last frame was a 10 second exposure @ ISO 400 and F8. If anyone's wondering why I used F8 and not something a little narrower there were 2 reasons. Firstly, from the previews in live view when I was setting up manual focus it looked like I had a pretty decent DoF with F8 (wide angle and relatively long distance to the first of the city lights, which I considered my first real foreground subject). Secondly I picked up some dust inside the barrel of my lens only a few days after I got the camera. When I first noticed it I thought it was on the lens or sensor, but after cleaning the front and rear elements of the lens (with a microfibre cloth) and thoroughly visually inspecting the sensor (I don't yet have any sensor cleaning kits) I didn't see anything. The dust spot is invisible up until F10/11 then it becomes quite annoying. I've been able to edit it out of a few shots in Lightroom using a local exposure fix with an adjustment brush, but I wouldn't like to try touching up ~450 images (there would be a degree of automation, but I expect it would take a long time to properly correct each frame).

Pretty cool I like that.

Thats Really good:) I think i might try that one day I'd need 2 hrs rest after walking up there these days

In LR you can edit 1 image, and sync the rest is seconds, if the dust bunny stays n the same place :) so 450 images would take no time at all.
The timelapse software would deflicker the images and give you a nice smooth transition over your sequence, just need to follow the tutorial to get it right.

Thats Really good:) I think i might try that one day I'd need 2 hrs rest after walking up there these days

Thanks. I needed a bit of a rest myself, but the most difficult part was coming back down in near pitch black conditions. At least I had 3 torches with me (one head torch and two hand torches) and there was a full moon out.

In LR you can edit 1 image, and sync the rest is seconds, if the dust bunny stays n the same place :) so 450 images would take no time at all.
The timelapse software would deflicker the images and give you a nice smooth transition over your sequence, just need to follow the tutorial to get it right.

Yeah, there's a degree of automation to the removal of the dust spot. However, the problem is that in my case it's in an area of the sky which changes a great deal throughout the sequence. That means that an edit that worked on one frame wouldn't work another 20 or 30 frames down the line. So, rather than doing one edit I'd probably end up doing 10, 15, who knows how many. Another thing I've noticed is that dust spots are really irritating and distracting on timelapses; once the eye spots them it ruins the overall experience. So, if I didn't get one of the edits just right the viewer would probably be drawn to look for it more and miss out on what I intended them to see. Anyway, I'll take a look at the plugin when I get time and see if it can get rid of the banding. Thanks again.

Back