Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Knee-cone

Votes: 4 3.7%

• Total voters
Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
I have heard people pronounce "Nikon" different ways.

1:- Nick-on
2:- Nigh-kon
3:- Knee-kon
4:- Knee-cone

To me, the first one is right but what is the general consensus on this?:thinking:

Last edited:
Can't say I've heard no.4

No.1 If you are British
No.2 If you are American
No.3 If you are Asian
No.4 If you are Smashed?

Ni-kon (or Nick-on as you put it)

That's how they pronounce it in Japan, and it's a Japanese camera, so that kind of drawn a line under that really so far as I'm concerned. 1 and 3 sounds very close spoken quickly though.

The Americans just can't pronounce anything really :)

The Americans and Canadians say "nigh-kon". They're wrong :)

Over here, we go with the Yanks. No idea why. But first time I heard it the British way, "Nick-on" it sounded wrong to me, as I grew up knowing it as 'Nye-kon'

I swing between both, depending on the humour.

AFAIK the Japanese pronounce it 'Nee-kon' - which would make most of us wrong.

AFAIK the Japanese pronounce it 'Nee-kon' - which would make most of us wrong.

Say "Nee-kon" and "Ni-Kon" really quickly though... nothing in it... pretty much the same. I've spent quite some time in Japan... seems to me they say Ni-kon just the same as we do so far as I could tell (accent considered).

I have always pronounced it Nick-on but after watching a couple of adverts (featuring Americans) I started to think the right way was Nigh-con.

However, if the Japanese pronounce it Nee-con then that's probably the 'right' way.

I have always pronounced it Nick-on but after watching a couple of adverts (featuring Americans) I started to think the right way was Nigh-con.

Since when have the Americans ever pronounced anything right? :)

i pronounce it nick-on and because i am english that must mean im right and every one else is wrong lol :D

Aluminium, that's the one that grates with me! They drop an i and say 'aluminum'

Aluminium, that's the one that grates with me! They drop an i and say 'aluminum'

Actually, we (or Humphry Davey) added the I (well, we added the N first to change it from the very original Alumium to Aluminum about 200 years ago). Aluminium was adopted as the official name for the element as recently as 1990 although both spellings are listed as alternatives on both sides of the pond.

i have a nikon camera , i love to take a photograph,,,

although Paul Simon takes his with a nighkon

Ni-kon (or Nick-on as you put it)

That's how they pronounce it in Japan, and it's a Japanese camera, so that kind of drawn a line under that really so far as I'm concerned.
That's the pronunciation in Nikon's TV adverytisements here too.

The Americans just can't pronounce anything really :)

Also correct!

i pronounce it nick-on and because i am english that must mean im right and every one else is wrong lol :D

That's the principle I work to as well!

Steve.

Last edited:
Most Nikon users I know pronounce it:

better than Canon

Reminds me of a Comedy Night we had at the club the other week. Our rugby club is in Vigo - the next village a couple of miles away is Meopham (pronounced Mep-ham). The comic kept saying how great it was to be in Meo-fam, several times. The asked one of the audience how where we were was pronounced. In a complete deadpan voice, the reply was Vigo

That got the best laugh of his act

Hahahaha great, different nation, different accent, all correct, am i right ??
Btw, i know i am being stupid but is their any chance that someone can tell me that, it is possible to be on the surfboard above the waves and have a camera in that position ??? :p
I was actually wanting to shoot my own self on the surfboard but then, i guess photo shop must be used :p

No reason why not (if you're a good enough surfer!!!) Framing might be a bit hit and miss but shoot enough and you should get some keepers. There are plenty of waterproof compacts available (down to 10m or so, suitable for snorkelling) or, should you have money to burn, waterproof diving housings and lens ports for SLRs. However, that's all probably a question for another thread rather thanm taking this one off topic!

Yep. They also say "erb", "Mos-cow", "Bay-sil" and "eye-ran/eye-raq". You'd think that after 237 years they'd have learnt the language ;)

I think you'll find that 'erb was the original pronunciation everywhere, but over time the h crept in here, whilst it stayed the same in North America.

I don't think there's a good argument over either pronunciation of basil; they both seem like valid pronunciations to me.

As for Moscow and Iraq/Iran, there are plenty of Americans that say those two as they're said here, although tv might have you thinking otherwise at times.

Yep. They also say "erb", "Mos-cow", "Bay-sil" and "eye-ran/eye-raq". You'd think that after 237 years they'd have learnt the language ;)

They can't pronounce controversy or contributing properly either. Although the wrong, US pronunciation seems to be creeping in here... even with BBC Radio Four presenters who should know better!

Steve.

Actually, we (or Humphry Davey) added the I (well, we added the N first to change it from the very original Alumium to Aluminum about 200 years ago). Aluminium was adopted as the official name for the element as recently as 1990 although both spellings are listed as alternatives on both sides of the pond.

It's the pronunciation though, that is really different. They say 'Al-oom-in-um' - where we say 'Al-you-min-ium'

I must be the only one here says 'Nye-kon' so? going by the poll.

They can't pronounce controversy or contributing properly either. Although the wrong, US pronunciation seems to be creeping in here... even with BBC Radio Four presenters who should know better!

Steve.

You've reminded me of another: laboratory. It's la-bor-atory not lab-rat-ory!

1. Nick-on

Those that say Nigh-kon are probably retarded

:)

and I have a Sony :)

or is that Sunny, Son-eee, Aiwa, Sharp, Matsus***a

Last edited:
1. Nick-on

Those that say Nigh-kon are probably retarded

:)

and I have a Sony :)

or is that Sunny, Son-eee, Aiwa, Sharp, Matsus***a

You've reminded me of a clip from Family Guy where two rednecks are arguing over a VCR:

[Redneck one] It's my turn with the sex box!
[Redneck two] It's my sex box and her name is Sony!

The best mispronounced word is pronunciation. Many people say (or write) pronounciation instead.

Steve.

I've heard people calling it 'Nigh-kon' - I say 'Nick-on' though I feel it probably should be 'Nee-kon'. 'Nigh-kon' just doesn't sound right to me.

The reason I think 'nick - on' is correct is that it's the only pronunciation which fits with Nikkor.

As there is a double k there, I don't think Nikkor can be pronounced any way other than 'nick - or'. If it was Nikor with a single k, then 'nie - core' or 'nee - core' would be correct.

Steve.

There are controversial plans to build an asphalt plant near to me. There are lots of people here pronouncing the s as a sh sound. i.e. ashphelt.

Steve.

There are controversial plans to build an asphalt plant near to me. There are lots of people here pronouncing the s as a sh sound. i.e. ashphelt.

Steve.

I have never understood why people pronounce it that way. Perhaps I should start calling you (and myself, as it's my name too!) "Shteve".

Steve.

There's nothing actually wrong with any of the American pronunciations you've mentioned.

-RJ

As with controversy or contributing, neither one of these is wrong, although there may be a preference for one or the other depending upon where you are from.

One thing to note, however, is that la-bor-atory is actually more like la-bor-a-tree; that last o is typically lost.

Apart from wrongness factor!

Steve.

To be honest with you, both the British and American pronunciations are inconsistent with regard to contributing and controversy.

For Americans, they stress the first syllable of CONtroversy, but the second of conTRIButing, even though the both begin with con.

Here, it's often the second syllable of conTROVersy, but the first for CONtributing, again, even though they both begin with con.

It seems to me that no matter who is speaking, pick which syllable you want to stress and stick with it! American or British!

Back