sorry, a which arca swiss ball head question.

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
At the moment ive got a Manfortto 055XPRO and 496RC2 head.

Im fairly happy with them, although i will replace the legs for something smaller and lighter at some point, mainly for travelling. I really dont use them as much a s i should.
I have no issues with the head other than i hate the RC2 system. I just dont like it.
So, i want to replace it with a Arca swiss system. I was looking at the 3LT Airhead1, seems ok, but i really know nothing much about heads and whats good and whats to avoid. The Benro ones also look nice but there are rather a lot of them.
Budget is £150, but id prefer to spend less as i dont need it to hold much (see sig below) and wont use it much.

Cheers for any thoughts.

Last edited:
I'm a Benro user
biggrin2.gif
and not afraid to recommend the B2 or B3 ballheads.

B3-03.jpg

My friend Sotiris seems to like Sunwayfoto... here's a test of a low-profile http://www.scvphotoideas.com/2012/05/sunwayfoto-xb-44-low-profile-ball-head.html

Been looking at one of the small Sunwayfoto heads for my lightweight tripod, so thanks for that review

Feisol are another brand that seem to get good words said about them, might be worth a look

Just out of interest can you not remove the Q/R fitting on the Manfrotto, sure I have seen it done and replaced with an Arca type

Edit, here you go http://hejnarphoto.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/manfrotto-496-rc2-conversion-plate.html

Last edited:
Feisol are another brand that seem to get good words said about them, might be worth a look
Just out of interest can you not remove the Q/R fitting on the Manfrotto, sure I have seen it done and replaced with an Arca type

yeah, ive been looking at their stuff as well, thanks,.

To me a lot of these brands seem to be so similar i would think they come out of the same Chinese factory. I know there is only so much you can do with the Ball Head design but i get the feeling the bigger the name, the more you pay for the same item at this price point.

I was thinking about changing the plates over. I think i have seen mention of this somewhere as well but i quite fancy a better head anyway.

Last edited:
Short answer for your budget, Feisol CB-40D. Outstanding for £109 http://www.globaltechcommerce.co.uk/feisoluk/7-heads

There is a bit of over-branding of the same products going on, eg Benro is same as Induro, but mostly they all come from different factories (of which there are about a million in the far east) working to similar looking designs, but not the same.

BTW, that snowed up Benro pic above - not a good idea to get water inside a ball head. If happens to be sea water, then that's death unless cleaned immediately or sent away for full strip down :eek:

PS, not always easy to avoid rain etc, so if that's maybe an issue, the upside-down Arca Swiss P0 is a brilliant head for a bit more money (y)

Last edited:
Thanks Richard. That does indeed lok like the front runner.
You always give good advice, so can i ask you to look at the Amazon link i posted earlier and tell me what you think of that, and how it differers from the Feisol.

Cheers.

You're welcome Dave. TBH tripods and stuff is a bit of a hobby horse of mine and I've tested a lot but there are so many about that it's hard to keep on top of them all. Sirui is one I've not tried, but is on my list as I hear good things about them.

See my edit above re AS P0 which is going to be my bext head for walkabout when I get around to it, with a SunwayFoto clamp (though you really need an L-bracket to make that work properly in vertical format). Speaking of Sunway, really nice quality though I prefer the DB models to the low-profile XB - less shift on lock-down, perhaps because it clamps from below rather than to the side. DB-44 is very nice http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4d073b0c5b

BTW, as I've posted before, I don't like the lever-style AS clamps. They look like they should be better than the regular screw, but they're not. Try before you buy.

Good review of ball heads here http://www.traumflieger.de/desktop/ballhead/ballheads.php Run a google translation, always entertaining :D

Last edited:
Thanks again Richard. All good info there.
I dont really use my tripod much so i dont want to spend too much. I appreciate the better ones are more robust etc but coming from a Red Snapper, and now a Manfrotto lower end head its only the plate system that i find lacking, and thats only personal preference.
I do want a screw type, i feel they are more secure (not that ive had any issues with the lever type yet).
Any of these will do, although just based on looks that DB-44 is very nice, just a bit more than i want to pay at the moment. Ive used my tripod 3 times this year, so you can see why i dont want to spend too much.
The main criteria is its quick and easy to adjust the camera to different positions, im sure all these do that with ease.

Thanks again Richard. All good info there.
I dont really use my tripod much so i dont want to spend too much. I appreciate the better ones are more robust etc but coming from a Red Snapper, and now a Manfrotto lower end head its only the plate system that i find lacking, and thats only personal preference.
I do want a screw type, i feel they are more secure (not that ive had any issues with the lever type yet).
Any of these will do, although just based on looks that DB-44 is very nice, just a bit more than i want to pay at the moment. Ive used my tripod 3 times this year, so you can see why i dont want to spend too much.
The main criteria is its quick and easy to adjust the camera to different positions, im sure all these do that with ease.

I used to have M'frotto with RC2 quick-release system and it's better than most, but Arca-Swiss is so much better, particularly if you want to mix and match cameras and plates and longer lenses and gimbals and nodal rails etc. So simple, secure and versatile (y)

Sunway DB-44 is a lovely head, high performance, super-smooth. Apart from a tiny bit of lock-down shift, it's better than the Feisol 40D though I'm very picky on that score, probably on account of the kind of work I do. If you generally shoot landscapes and general stuff, you'll never notice it.

At the budget end, RedSnapper RSH-12 is worth a lot more than the £60 it costs (10% discount for TP members :)) and also uses the AS system.

I had a RSH-12 but after a few months it seemed very loose. Getting the Manfrotto was the cure for that and i was much happier with that.

I only really need a tripod for night shooting around town, and most of that is at the wider end so a bit of sag is fine (not that i notice any at the moment).

Im leaning towards the Feisol as it seems easier to get hold of, and cheaper of course.

I had a RSH-12 but after a few months it seemed very loose. Getting the Manfrotto was the cure for that and i was much happier with that.

I only really need a tripod for night shooting around town, and most of that is at the wider end so a bit of sag is fine (not that i notice any at the moment).

Im leaning towards the Feisol as it seems easier to get hold of, and cheaper of course.

That's interesting Dave, not heard that before about the RSH-12 and there are quite a few folks on here using it. With the work I do testing stuff, the one thing that's impossible to assess is how products perform after a good period of use. Most of the equipment I receive is brand new.

From that point of view, the only brands I could put hand on heart and say are as bullet proof as you can get, would be Arca-Swiss and Gitzo. And if they should fail after a long period of use and abuse, both companies will bring them back to as-new for a reasonable charge.

Thanks Richard.
when i say loose im not just talking about the ball head. It wobbled on the base plate and did suffer from sag. It wasnt like that when i got it (although the first time i took it out the bag hook dropped out) It hadn't been abused at all. I probably used it no more than 20-30 times over a period of two or more years.
It was a nice piece of kit, no question, but because of the extra movement i decided to get rid of it. I did of course try and tighten it all up but that didnt work.
I do still have the RS 3 way head, but dont use it as i got it just to see what it was like. My son has that on his cheap tripod and it seems to work fine.

Thanks Richard.
when i say loose im not just talking about the ball head. It wobbled on the base plate and did suffer from sag. It wasnt like that when i got it (although the first time i took it out the bag hook dropped out) It hadn't been abused at all. I probably used it no more than 20-30 times over a period of two or more years.
It was a nice piece of kit, no question, but because of the extra movement i decided to get rid of it. I did of course try and tighten it all up but that didnt work.
I do still have the RS 3 way head, but dont use it as i got it just to see what it was like. My son has that on his cheap tripod and it seems to work fine.

My RSH-12 had that base plate wobble, a quick email to Redsnapper and it was replaced. I seem to recall that there was a problem with a batch of the heads. I've never had a problem with sag. The RSH-61 works very well on my Gitzo 1542T, I got it as a stopgap until I could afford a Markins, but I don't see the need to change it.

Last edited:
... that snowed up Benro pic above - not a good idea to get water inside a ball head
Under normal conditions, the ball is very smooth. When being soaking wet, it is exceptionally ultra-ultra-smooth! :LOL:

Don't worry. :D
Price is low and the ballhead *must* be able to work flawless when wet, as my favorite scenes are rainy, wet forest floors, bogs etc...

The snowed up is from a request on dpreview, where a user asked for a specific test of how the ballhead behaves, when wet and frozen...
I posted a series of shots of the test here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3369488#forum-post-50687983

If you order inside EU, then no tax/duties.

Mine was ordered from outside, but shipped as "sample with low or no value", both went through free...
shifty.gif

My RSH-12 had that base plate wobble, a quick email to Redsnapper and it was replaced. I seem to recall that there was a problem with a batch of the heads. I've never had a problem with sag. The RSH-61 works very well on my Gitzo 1542T, I got it as a stopgap until I could afford a Markins, but I don't see the need to change it.

I did read about a bad batch but im sure i checked a few things and decided mine wasnt among them (it was a while ago now).
By then i had decided to upgrade my tripod and head anyway so i sold the RS kit to a mate, he only wanted it for his Sony NEX5 and is more than happy with it.

BTW, that snowed up Benro pic above - not a good idea to get water inside a ball head. If happens to be sea water, then that's death unless cleaned immediately or sent away for full strip down :eek:

Depends on the ball head. Acratech ball heads have an open design that makes cleaning them simplicity itself.

Depends on the ball head. Acratech ball heads have an open design that makes cleaning them simplicity itself.

That's true enough. Unfortunately Acratech GP is one of the worst heads I've used for shifting on lock-down.

THere seems to be a lot of knowledge in this thread.

May i ask which is the lightest head / legs for a d7100 and 105 2.8, or 85 1.8, so not too heavy or long.

Looking at the Feisol CB-30C or CB-40D, and CT-3442 legs.
Does anyone have any experience of this kit, or is there a similar / better quality / lighter kit available?
Also, what is the 'rapid section'?

Cheers

No actual experience of Feisol, but "rapid" is their version of the Gitzo ALR

Means you can tighten and loosen all the leg locks in one go as opposed to the older system where they had to be done one at a time in order

It could be fiddly and whilst tightening a lower leg the one above could get loosened again, reckon it's worth the extra having experienced both methods

Just bought a Photoclam PC-33NS, once I have tried it out for a while will report back

Wanted a lighter Arca compatible head for my small Gitzo and this seemed to fit the bill.

Did you get the Photoclam PC-33NS from somewhere in the UK ?

Couldn't find a stockist in the UK so had to buy via Ebay

Was a toss up between the Photoclam and Sunwayfoto, don't think there is much between them, but preferred the look of the finish on the PC head

They could do with a UK supplier, same applies to Markins too, business opportunity for someone there I reckon

Thanks for all the info guys.
Ive decided to try changing the plate on my Manfotto 496RC2 at some point, rather than buy a new head. Its a nice head and works ok so it seems silly to buy something new at the moment.

That would work of course, but a new clamp and QR plate could end up costing more than the head. That's why you don't see many M'frotto and Gitzo heads converted as it ends up a lot more money than just buying a new Arca-Swiss style head in the first place.

If you're handy at DIY (needs some work on the mounting) clamp from CameraGearUK and plate from RedSnapper could get it done for £30. At least double that for Hejnar conversion and QR plate.

Thanks Richard. I had thought about the cost, and its just an idea at the moment, but i wouldn't go for top class stuff anyway. Thanks also for the info about getting the plate and clamp.

You won't get cheaper than those prices.

You won't get cheaper than those prices.

I think you are right.

I had a quick look on Camerastuff and found this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunwayfot..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4d0a3ac0b0

The plate is £6.95 from Redsnapper so thats a lot less than i had planned to spend on a new head.
Im assuming it all works together though. It seems like the Manfrotto clamp uses a M6 screw, so if ive got it right the clamp above should fit without any modification.

Now, i know im missing something but to me it all looks pretty easy.

I think you are right.

I had a quick look on Camerastuff and found this
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunwayfot..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4d0a3ac0b0

The plate is £6.95 from Redsnapper so thats a lot less than i had planned to spend on a new head.
Im assuming it all works together though. It seems like the Manfrotto clamp uses a M6 screw, so if ive got it right the clamp above should fit without any modification.

Now, i know im missing something but to me it all looks pretty easy.

It is easy, if you get the right bits at the right price. Need to check your Manfrotto's clamp attachment fitting, which I think is M6 with the cross-key bit underneath. They're not easy to get apart when Loctited in - google that, clamp in vice, Allen key, use a bit of local heat and brute strength.

This clamp is much cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FotoPanda..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3f19d5b7bb Ignore the price there, it's actually £20 I'm sure, but CGUK bumps the price way up to stop people ordering when it's temporarily out of stock, so they don't lose the listing. CGUK are very good though, email Chris Harrison with any queries.

It is easy, if you get the right bits at the right price. Need to check your Manfrotto's clamp attachment fitting, which I think is M6 with the cross-key bit underneath. They're not easy to get apart when Loctited in - google that, clamp in vice, Allen key, use a bit of local heat and brute strength.

This clamp is much cheaper http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FotoPanda..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3f19d5b7bb Ignore the price there, it's actually £20 I'm sure, but CGUK bumps the price way up to stop people ordering when it's temporarily out of stock, so they don't lose the listing. CGUK are very good though, email Chris Harrison with any queries.

Thanks again Richard. Im actually thinking maybe i should get one with a safety pin in it as well. I dont mind paying a bit more.

It is. Standard unbraco.

It you check here under tab "Spare parts", there's a manual for parts: http://www.manfrotto.com/compact-ball-head-with-rc2

Thanks for the link. I had found that just after my last post but appreciate you posting it.
One thing that is now putting me off is that the top of the clamp column has a groove in it, with the corresponding one in the bottom of the clamp. I wonder how secure it will be to use a clamp that doesn't have this groove.
I've been following a thread on POTN where someone has done this conversion, using Wimberley clamp and plate, and it seems to have gone well so im sure as long as the bolt is tight it should be ok.

Thanks again Richard. Im actually thinking maybe i should get one with a safety pin in it as well. I dont mind paying a bit more.

Thanks for the link. I had found that just after my last post but appreciate you posting it.
One thing that is now putting me off is that the top of the clamp column has a groove in it, with the corresponding one in the bottom of the clamp. I wonder how secure it will be to use a clamp that doesn't have this groove.
I've been following a thread on POTN where someone has done this conversion, using Wimberley clamp and plate, and it seems to have gone well so im sure as long as the bolt is tight it should be ok.

There are safety locks built in to most Arca-Swiss clamps and plates, which I prefer to those spring-loaded safety pins. Look at the top of the clamp and there's a recess either side of the central bolt, those are the safety stops. Then on the underside of most AS plates there are two protruding studs that prevent the plate from sliding out past them (though the RedSnapper plate I linked earlier does not have these studs).

There are safety locks built in to most Arca-Swiss clamps and plates, which I prefer to those spring-loaded safety pins. Look at the top of the clamp and there's a recess either side of the central bolt, those are the safety stops. Then on the underside of most AS plates there are two protruding studs that prevent the plate from sliding out past them (though the RedSnapper plate I linked earlier does not have these studs).

More good info, thanks.

The RedSnapper was the only plate ive looked at so i didnt realise most have the studs. I think that is a better system so ill go for that rather than the spring loaded system.
I dont mind paying a bit more for something that might be a bit safer.

So, im thinking this clamp
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunwayfot..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4d0a91f76b

with this plate?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3a79b21ccd

I saw a 5DMKII specific one but that might limit what i can use on the tripod. I do have two other cameras and while i doubt ill need to put them on the tripod i might at some point.

More good info, thanks.

The RedSnapper was the only plate ive looked at so i didnt realise most have the studs. I think that is a better system so ill go for that rather than the spring loaded system.
I dont mind paying a bit more for something that might be a bit safer.

So, im thinking this clamp
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sunwayfot..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item4d0a91f76b

with this plate?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUNWAYFOT..._Tripods_Heads_Stablisers&hash=item3a79b21ccd

I saw a 5DMKII specific one but that might limit what i can use on the tripod. I do have two other cameras and while i doubt ill need to put them on the tripod i might at some point.

Assuming the fitting is right, that looks fine. Ideally you should have plates for every piece of equipment, and leave them on.

Back