Whitelee Windfarm Sunset Timelapse

Edit My Images
Yes
My second sunset timelapse, this time from the Whitelee Windfarm. I was aiming for a side lighting effect this time (rather than the direct approach last time). Unfortunately the sun set behind a clump of low cloud, so the full range of colours at sunset was obscured. You can see just before halfway through the video where the light on the turbines changes from the warm orange to flat and neutral.

I was shooting in aperture priority again and made a few changes throughout the shoot. I started at f/10 @ ISO 100 and moved through to f/8 @ ISO 800 towards the end of this selection. The actual shoot continued until I was at f/5.6 @ ISO 800 for 4 second exposures, but I decided not to use those last frames.

Thanks to the suggestion by mcwarrior in my last thread I used LRTimelapse this time to join images and handle the deflickering. It did an OK job, but there's still quite a bit of exposure flickering (especially in the top right corner) that I wasn't able to remove. Perhaps with a bit more time familiarising myself with the application I could do a better job.

As always, I welcome any feedback or constructive criticism you can offer me. Thanks for reading.

Click the preview picture below to watch the video.

Music credit:
New Direction Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Last edited:
When I did my first timelapse I shot in manual mode. Adjusting the exposure when required. This removed flickr completely without having to rely on the software to remove it for me. Also, I think some change in location would have been nice at various stages of the timelapse.

Would have been nice to see a few frames where the stars appear.

All in all it's a good effort. I love that windfarm. Used to spend a lot of time there when I lived in the area. Still can't believe how vast the place is.

When I did my first timelapse I shot in manual mode. Adjusting the exposure when required. This removed flickr completely without having to rely on the software to remove it for me.

I'll hopefully be moving to manual at some point in the future for 'constant' light things, but I'll stick with aperture priority for scenes with a large range for a while at least. I simply couldn't make the number of changes required for the transition from start to finish in this scene at my current level (obviously I wanted to capture detail later on too, rather than just setting a manual exposure and continuing with that).

Also, I think some change in location would have been nice at various stages of the timelapse.

Yeah, it was my first visit there, though, and I couldn't get there until around 5pm, so I didn't have a lot of time to look around for different spots. I'll be going back there in the future; had a little scout around after I set the timelapse in motion.

Would have been nice to see a few frames where the stars appear.

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by that too. There were a few around in the vicinity, but hardly any visible (to the naked eye or in the frames I captured) within my scene. I also didn't realise the TV transmitter (highlighted by the red lights in the distance) was there. A few lessons learned, next time I'll get Google Sky Map up on my phone to check and make sure I've got a reasonably 'busy' area if I'm going for stars.

All in all it's a good effort. I love that windfarm. Used to spend a lot of time there when I lived in the area. Still can't believe how vast the place is.

Thanks (and thanks for the other detailed feedback). The sheer scale of the place is quite spectacular, indeed. I'll be exploring some more of it in the future (hopefully when it's a bit warmer too... :) ).

Hypnotic. Could have watched it for a lot longer. I agree with the comment re. the stars, would have finished it off well but still, great work.

Great idea. I hope to see some more like this from you.

Thanks. I've got a few other trips planned in the near-ish future, so hopefully there'll be a few more things posted in the coming weeks/months.

Back