Critique My Street

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a day off yesterday and with the little'un in nursery I went into Manchester for a few hours to shoot some street. I have a day off in June with my pal and we are going to London so I wanted to try and build some confidence before we go down. I set myself 2 rules, 1: no pictures of someone talking on their mobile, and no pictures of someone sat down on a bench - often considered easy targets and I was trying to push myself away from easy! I uploaded my pictures onto my Ipad last night and I had took 98 pictures. How did I do?

I failed!
Although I do think this has some depth - I wondered what he was thinking?

Lost my job? by bifferd, on Flickr

I walked all over Manchester to find something. I was looking for anything interesting really, then this chap appeared in my eyesight - multi tasking cyclist/courier

Multi tasking by bifferd, on Flickr

I then realised that staying in one position helped me get some street candids such as these

Nice shirt by bifferd, on Flickr

Two bags by bifferd, on Flickr

Then I wondered back to the station and sat around the Urbis area just watching a waiting. I think this was my shot of the day, just with the sheer unusualness of it:

Water works by bifferd, on Flickr

and then one from the train home - I just liked the framing:

The train home by bifferd, on Flickr

How did I do? Any nuggets of info that will help me on my quest to take better street?

I like all of those chris. The first is my favourite. I sometimes feel like that myself lol.

I'll crit though, for little things that I see ok, but I really like the images so nice nice street work there.

I quite like the processing, seems a little overexposed but I guess thats the look you're aiming for as it does look intentional.

So, #1 is great
#2 is another good one, Id clone out the car and mirror on the left though. Nice shooting out of the window by the way :)
#3- wow he is a tall guy. Nice capture!
#4 - good image
#5 agree, i like it too
#6 i like it though it could do with straightening but perhaps you've done it at the angle intentionally?

Good set :) Look forward to seeing more

Carlh said:
I like all of those chris. The first is my favourite. I sometimes feel like that myself lol.

I'll crit though, for little things that I see ok, but I really like the images so nice nice street work there.

I quite like the processing, seems a little overexposed but I guess thats the look you're aiming for as it does look intentional.

So, #1 is great
#2 is another good one, Id clone out the car and mirror on the left though. Nice shooting out of the window by the way :)
#3- wow he is a tall guy. Nice capture!
#4 - good image
#5 agree, i like it too
#6 i like it though it could do with straightening but perhaps you've done it at the angle intentionally?

Good set :) Look forward to seeing more

Yeah the processing is done in snapseed in the ipad, which is ideal for me as its nice and quick and does the job as sometimes the mono setting on the camera lacks a bit of contrast. Thanks for your encouragement, will take the last one and rotate, oh if you want some more there are some more on my Flickr from the day.

ATB
Chris

Daymouse said:
Good set, i always enjoyed going round the Northern Q for street, quite interesting.

I would like to know the camera and lens you used etc?

Thanks mate. Camera is canon 550d with ef35mm f2 prime. Processed with snapseed on the ipad.

ATB
Chris

I was confronted fir the first time today by a lady selling roses - she was walking round selling them and was a quite A quirky looking lady. Her English wasn't great but when she asked "see photo" i duly obliged and said 'street photography' (panicked a Bit really!) Not really understanding what she was saying I deleted the photo right in front of her and that was that, she was fine and thanked me and moved on. First of many confrontations I'm sure.

well, I think you did a great guess on the first shot. It must have something to do with his job since he's having his brief case in his hand, maybe just got fired, or have a bad day at office. Also the last one has my love!

well, I think you did a great guess on the first shot. It must have something to do with his job since he's having his brief case in his hand, maybe just got fired, or have a bad day at office. Also the last one has my love!

Cheers Alexander. I think it was a definitely bad day at the office!

good set generally with 1st image the best, a slighter smaller DOF on the sleeping guy would have helped draw your eye in faster, or just venette hin slightly

the 1st one is so evocative; it makes me want to cry. Hope you don't mind but I tried a tighter crop, not sure if it's better - I just wanted to put more focus onto the guy. Hope whatever made him look so glum seemed better by morning (the best bridge between hope and despair is a night's sleep)

re-edit - NOT MY PHOTO by moominmama, on Flickr

Thanks everyone!

With regards to the edit, I think I prefer mine, because it shows things going on all around this poor guy deep in thought. 'Time stops for no man' or words to that effect springs to mind!

Really good Chris! Looking forward to London ones

I was confronted fir the first time today by a lady selling roses - she was walking round selling them and was a quite A quirky looking lady. Her English wasn't great but when she asked "see photo" i duly obliged and said 'street photography' (panicked a Bit really!) Not really understanding what she was saying I deleted the photo right in front of her and that was that, she was fine and thanked me and moved on. First of many confrontations I'm sure.

:clap::wave: Brilliant

I'm sorry Chris but I did not care for them. IMHO I think they are too cluttered and a lot of the subjects lack interest. My first suggestion would be to open up your lens for a much shallower dof, That's a must. Isolate your subject and work on the dof. This can make or break the shot. The other thing I would concentrate on is the back ground. Look for cool backgrounds with color or patterns. Something that will blend nicely with the subject. I find backgrounds first and place myself in the correct position and wait for the subject to pass by. Hope this helps.

here is my flickr account if you want to see some examples of what i'm suggesting.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47096888@N06/

Love the first one, but as above I do feel a much shallower DOF would suit it and help isolate him.

Back