Review Sigma 70-300 mm APO DG macro - a quick review, 56k warning

Name
Peter
Edit My Images
Yes
Questions about this fairly cheap lens pop up every now and then and since I have it, I thought I just might post a mini review with sample images and some of my comments.

There are no MTF charts here, just photos and words.

The lens isn't a featherweight, but it is still fairly light for a telephoto lens of this range.

I don't have many shots at 300 mm, but I do have a few at 200-300 mm, which is probably the are that is going to interest most of you looking at this lens.

Before post photos, a word on autofocus. I have the older version which doesn't focus on the D40(x) as it has no built-in AF motor.
Despite that, focus is fairly quick and accurate in the 70-200 range, it's somewhat slows down above 200 mm, although its accuracy is still pretty good most of the time.
If I'm tracking fast subjects and I happen to focus on something else (or point at something that confuses the AF), the lens can go through the whole range, which is pretty slow. It doesn't happen all the time, though. If you manage to keep your subject on the centre AF point, birds in flight are also doable.

For stills, however, my copy is pretty sharp even at 300 mm, even a bit sharper below.

Now some photos (mostly swans, ducks and seagulls).

A 100% crop, shot with a monopod (click for a PNG), raw converted in RawTherapee, no noise reduction applied:

Resized crops:
dsc8079jpghq3.jpg

dsc7573cropsmalljpghu6.jpg

dsc7412smalljpgxe3.jpg

dsc7388cropsmalljpgco8.jpg

dsc7387cropsmalljpgbk3.jpg

I've also tried to use it with a Canon 500D close-up lens, but the image quality is degraded a LOT, with only the centre usable (not all the time, though), but it's a rather inexpensive way to get about a 0.90 magnification. Of course, you have to use the macro switch to get the biggest magnification. With the switch on, you can't get below 200 mm, to turn it off, zoom out to 200 mm and turn the focus ring to make the lens as short as you can. You can switch back to non-macro mode again.

dsc6727014cropsmalljpgsw3.jpg

As you can see, the bokeh can be pretty smooth for a cheap lens.

Any questions?

So good you managed to post it twice :)

this one can stay!

I have that exact lens, and i agree, for a cheapy, its fab!
Altho, i cannot wait to get my mitt's on my 5d and 24-105 mm L lens in June! yay
:)
*i have saved up for nearly a year*
Fantastic photos too btw x

Great review :) and some cracking shots! Just shows what can be achieved with that lens (y)

Nice shots Slapo, cheap but fully acceptable quality IMHO. (y)

I can't wait for my lens to arrive now. I've bought one second hand from a member of this forum and only just spotted this review and I'm relieved that I've made a good decision to go ahead and buy this.

Do you have any low light images at all?

Hiya,

Sigma 70-300mm f4-5.6 APO DG Macro

I've had this lens for a while but i've never used it for macro mainly taking pictures of flowers. I've been trying to get very close in using flowers in a vase but its just not working :( any tips?

I have one of these and it's great really, decently sharp and actually handles quite nicely, I keep it rolling about in my car mostly just in case I need it. It's cheap enough to not really care too much about it though it's actually good enough to deserve a little more respect.

Wow, I love your photo's, I have this lens, my partner bought me it for Xmas to use with my Nikon D60, I'm a total novice, no idea how to use camera manually but tried a few test shots, have to admit though, I got some cracking photo's with it, well, I think they are!! I need to understand the macro on zoom, totally need idiots guide though......

Great shots, Ive had one of these before. Bargain of a lens, worth every penny imo

Back