Checking a Zenit E over before use

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
No
I've just won a Zenit E over ebay with the intention of using the lens on my Canon 550d, but I'd still like to give the camera a proper go. I've been reading over the stickies for general advice but wondered if any Zenit owners could give me any specific points before I bother even going out and buying film?

If it's not that simple then sorry for being a nuisance, but if it's a case of: "Check x, y and z and you should at least be ok" then I'd feel a bit better.

Chris

Last edited:
Open the back, wind it on to cock the shutter, hold it up to the light and fire the shutter. That should tell you if the shutter is working. Wind it on before changing speeds and run through all the speeds and make sure they work also.

The light meter is a simple affair and not coupled to anything. If its not moving as you change the light it's probably knackered, just use sunny 16.

Run a roll of agfa vista from the pound shop through to check for light leaks.

They're simple enough cameras not much to go wrong.

Remember the aperture is set on the lens not the body so you need to meter, compose and focus then step down and shoot.

Thanks Steven, the seller's photo was incredibly poor quality so hoping the camera arrives in a good state.

Back