Las Hogueras de San Juan, 2013

I like those Ricardo, lots of colour , very vibrant. I especially like the 2nd image, the dresses are beautifully made, so much detail. My only crit and I wouldnt say it was crit as I imagine you've already got the images, would be a full capture of a full dress and shoes.

Usual excellent quality Ricardo, sharp, great colours and interesting.

I like those Ricardo, lots of colour , very vibrant. I especially like the 2nd image, the dresses are beautifully made, so much detail. My only crit and I wouldnt say it was crit as I imagine you've already got the images, would be a full capture of a full dress and shoes.

Usual excellent quality Ricardo, sharp, great colours and interesting.

Thank you both very much.

Here are a couple more. Monday at midnight these beautiful structures go up in flames!

Las Hogueras de San Juan, Alicante 2013 by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Las Hogueras de San Juan, Alicante 2013 by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Absolutely awesome night last night!

It all started at midnight when the Palmera exploded over the castle

La Palmera del Las Hogueras de Alicante, 2013 by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

That was the sign to torch all the beautiful statues that had adorned the city since the middle of last week. The firemen were there to keep it all under control

Burn Baby Burn by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

But that's not all they do... The crowd taunt the firemen over and over again. Then the firemen extract their revenge!

¡Mojada! by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Fiesta de Agua by Ricardodaforce, on Flickr

Alicante during Hogueras really is an awesome place to be.

Seems such a shame to see those statues burnt after all the effort that went into making them - some really stunning creations there.
But looks like a good time was had by all :)

Too many photos there to give any individual critique, but as a set it really gives a great feel of the event and what goes on. Interesting insight into the culture.

Seems such a shame to see those statues burnt after all the effort that went into making them - some really stunning creations there.
But looks like a good time was had by all :)

Too many photos there to give any individual critique, but as a set it really gives a great feel of the event and what goes on. Interesting insight into the culture.

Thanks for looking and the comment :)

It's an awesome time of the year. I do know another forummer went last night, so I'm looking forward to seeing her photos too.
This country may well be up caca creek but they certainly know how to enjoy themselves despite the bad times we are going through.

Certainly makes UK festivities look pretty dull by comparison.
Out of interest what's the history of the festival / significance of burning the statues?

p.s. Just had another scroll through.
I think the one in post #9 is the standout one for me.
Perverse as it may be to watch the things burn, I really do like the sense of drama in that one.

Certainly makes UK festivities look pretty dull by comparison.
Out of interest what's the history of the festival / significance of burning the statues?

p.s. Just had another scroll through.
I think the one in post #9 is the standout one for me.
Perverse as it may be to watch the things burn, I really do like the sense of drama in that one.

The wiki entry is actually very comprehensive :)

Back