Recommend me a lens for the BTCC?

Name
Daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

I'm off to Snetterton in a few weeks time for the BTCC, as I only have my standard 18-55mm lens that i don't think will achieve some of the shots i am looking for without being really close to the action.

So, I'm looking to hire a bigger lens for the weekend. What would you all recommend is a good lens for photographing at events like this?

I'm not currently able to afford to buy a lens hence the reason I am hiring. I have a nikon D3000.

Thanks in advance :)

70-200 VR II is worth considering, Sigma 120-300 if you don't mind the bulk. The new 80-400 VR also worth a look, think lensesforhire have it.

Last edited:
Shooting F1 Young Drivers at Silverstone last week on a Sigma 120-300 which was OK I wouldn't really want to go shorter.

Snetterton's a bit more forgiving than Silverstone as you're much closer to the action. This is out of the last corner (Murray's) and I used a focal length of 200mm for this one. Lens is a 70-200mm f/2.8G VR.

Josh Brookes by rclenshaw, on Flickr

Of course depends on budget ;) If hiring though why not try the Sigma 120-300. I have one, nice bit of kit. Heavy though, but a good workout for the guns haha ;) Also takes 1.4TC well too (if you have one).

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone, ill have another look on the website I'm looking to hire from and see what they've got.

The only thing that is bothering me about the sigma 120-300 is the size - I have never used another lens before and not sure if I would cope with the bulk?

anything covering 300mm will be fine at Snetterton. A bit more is always useful, but not necessary. Many parts of Snett only has waist high fences as well.

The Sigma 120-300 is a big old lump and you may well find it useful to have a monopod for it, if your not used to lenses of this size.

Back