First Sports Shots - Cricket - Feedback Much Appreciated!

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
No
Received a new 55-250 lens for my birthday (first additional lens since buying my Canon 650D with 18-55 kit lens), so thought I would give it a whirl at the cricket. Loving the extra reach it gives me and although it's early days, it seems really good value for money.

Anyway, this is my first go at sports photography and although I feel that I learned a lot from the day, I would really like some feedback/critique on these if you would be so kind (y)

Cricket by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket - On the Boundary by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket - Spin Attack by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

Cricket - Out! by Tony_Richardson, on Flickr

This is the LINK to the set, if you would like to see the rest.

Thanks for looking :D

Nice clean shots. I wish I had such clean, clear shots. Great first day with the new lens.

Keep looking for the chance to go and shoot some great sports and post them for us all to see.

Thanks very much, Duncan, really appreciate the comments :)

Will be sure to post up more when I try out some different sports - hoping to get some football, golf and more cricket shots soon

I think you have done a good job for your first sports shots Tony. Action, Filled frame, Ball in shot and generally shot from a low position. The ground looks very undulating for a cricket ground but the wickets look s near as damn it , vertical.

My only crit would be to watch the over saturated colours. It happens by accident sometimes when it's really bright as the AWB cannot cope with it. You can tone the colour down quite easily in Lightroom.

Thanks for sharing and post some more the next time you are out.

Thanks Tug, really appreciate the comments! These were shot at Saltburn CC which is indeed a strangely undulating ground with much of the field sloping away to the sea. Thanks for the saturation advice too, I know what you mean - I think the first suffers the most. I have PS Elements 11 but am only just beginning to use it, may pick up Lightroom in due course.

Again, thanks for taking the time to comment, it is much appreciated :)

Im sure PSE11 will have the same functions Tony.

I was considering coming up to Saltburn a few weeks ago to shoot some cricket, but decided it was just not worth the travel distance from West Yorkshire. Diesel is now becoming a stupid price.

Dont forget to post your next set.

A very good set, especially if this is your first attempt. Tug has given pretty much the same feedback as I'd offer, along with one extra tip.

I appreciate that it's often impossible with amatuer sport, but try to look for the cleanest backgrounds you can find. I don't know this ground, but I'm guessing that in shot no.1, if you'd moved a bit further to your right, then you'd have have a clean background of mainly grass and hills rather than the green poles and dark areas on the right of the frame. The shot itself is very good, but you could have given it just that extra bit of polish with a bit of thought.

Compare that shot to the last, where you have absolutely nothing behind the players to detract from your shot.

Like I said earlier though - a very good effort.

Mike

Thanks Mike, appreciate the feedback and totally agree with your critique. Selecting shooting positions with "clean" backgrounds was one of the main things I took away from the day - that and trying to make sure to shoot from angles where I can capture players faces and expressions, not always easy with numerous left/right handed batsmen combinations and switching ends after each over! Thanks again for commenting :)

Back