Nikon d3100 upgrade

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
No
Hi all

Am looking to upgrade from my Nikon d3100. But not really sure what to go for. It has to be a Nikon as all my lenses are Nikon. I have between £500-£800. Any suggestions please.

Thanks all

Pretty standard reply, but is there anything in particular where you feel the D3100 is leaving you short changed that is triggering the will to upgrade? Without knowing, it's just guesswork.

Not really. Iv had the d3100 for 2 years now and just want something that can handle a bit more.

I went to a D7000 and am very pleased I did, I get shots I never thought I could when I started.

Whilst this may not be all down to the camera body the range of colours and the IQ is definitely better than my D3100.
The other features I like are the higher resolution liveview, the twin dials one for aperture and one for shutter speed, bracketing, faster continuous shooting, dedicated WB, ISO etc buttons......to be honest it's massively better in every way

As its £300 cheaper than its successor the D7100, pound for pound it's easily the better buy

what lenses you got? are they all DX ? Are you planning to jump into FF world?

If you staying with DX you have only 2 choices. D7000 and D7100 really (and you still can consider D300s etc.)

I went from D3100 to D7000. It's leaps and bounds better than what I had. I agree with Big Nick about the controls. If you shoot manual, you'll LOVE the twin wheels for aperture and shutter speed. ISO is simply a button hold and scroll a wheel. All very handy. The twin SD slots are a godsend. Being able to swap the + & - around is great...small things but it all adds up! Having a grip that doesn't have a wire going to the body is also good. I love my D7000.

Saying all that, if you can go to the D7100 I would if I were you. The D7000 does have some well known issues though I've not experienced them myself.

Whichever one you get you won't put it down I guarantee. I've taken more shots on my D7000 in 7 months than ~2 years of D3100 ownership.

Back