iPod/iTunes help please!

Nod

Tootles
Name
Nod (UK)
Edit My Images
Yes
I love our iPods but loathe iTunes with a passion - it has to be the most unintuitive PoS software I've ever used! What I want to do is have the things I want on mine and the car one and the stuff my wife wants on hers. I thought I'd cracked it with manual synching but I've ended up with her albums on mine which has left me short of space for what I want on there. Since for some reason my Classic 160GB one won't accept the films I've bought from the store, I'm using a pair of 32GB Nanos (1 each).

I would be most grateful if someone could explain (in words of one syllable please!) to my buggered brain how to achieve what I want to do. (It's at times like this we need a 12 year old child!!!)

How does one do that?

The first problem I get is that the synching seems to start as soon as I plug a Pod in and I don't get a choice as to what goes on. I'm afraid I need step by step instruction.

(Last year's brain surgery left me a bit shaky on new things - I can do everything I could before the op as well as I used to but I simply cannot learn anything new - most frustrating! Luckily, I've always been one for carrying camera manuals so I can always look stuff up in them but the iPod manual doesn't seem to exist! (OK, it does on-line but you can't have the page open beside iTunes...)

go into playlists within itunes, down the bottom left click the + symbol to create a new one.

call it something related to the device, i.e. "wifes ipod"

put all of the media you want onto that playlist (select the media, right click, add to playlist)

plug in your device, go into the device sync properties (top right next to iTunes Store, normally a button that says iPod/iPhone/iPad), go to music, enable the option "selected playlists" then select the relevent playlist.

sync the device (button bottom right).

repeat for device 2.

:)

Last edited:
Cheers Neil, I'll give it a try!

I think you've helped me crack it Neil! It appears that I'm so dim these days that I was just adding stuff to what was already on my Pod but a restoration to factory settings wiped all the Yoga stuff off and has left me with enough room for my music and a few films. It's currently chugging away restocking its bits - here's hoping it's just the bits I want!!!

:banana::banana::banana:

Sorted! Clearing the crap Yoga stuff (indeed, everything) out of the Pod and freshly loading content has done the job! Thank you SO much Neil - I owe you a pint!

go into the device sync properties (top right next to iTunes Store, normally a button that says iPod/iPhone/iPad), go to music, enable the option "selected playlists" then select the relevent playlist.

sync the device (button bottom right).

repeat for device 2.

:)

I am also having issues with iTunes, its one of the most un user friendly pieces of software I have ever had the misfortune to use and just when you get the hang of it they bring out a new version where everything changes. The Quote I have included in this post, that's not on my version, I cant find device sync properties anywhere. I recently upgraded from an iphone 3gs to a 4s and I wanted to just put all the music and apps I had on my 3gs onto my 4s, couldn't do it, I had to load all my music in again on a different playlist, now I,ve got no idea where the 3gs music and apps have gone.

Which version of iTunes do you have installed?
If it's the latest, version 11, then you need to select the device from the selection next to iTunes Store.
When you first connected the iPhone 4 and went through initially registering process, you should have had the option to set it up as a new phone or to sync it with the contents of a previous backup.
Sounds like you chose the former, but barring not showing incompatible apps for the 4's iOS version, then the apps and music should all be in their respective libraries.

I'm going to presume you're using within Windows rather than OS X – find the iTunes application, and right click on it. Select Properties.

Alternatively when we do this on Pistonheads, just throw up a screenshot as it's often easier to refer to things that way.

Okay, but we're not really going to progress much at this rate, are we?
Have you bothered to check the songs Library and the Apps one?
Are the songs/apps there that were on the 3GS?
What version of iOS was the 3GS running?
Are the apps in need of updating to the latest versions in order to look (Retina display being taken advantage of) and function best with (presumably) iOS 6 on the iPhone 4?

This is all basic stuff Chris before declaring there's a problem and it's iTunes' fault.
So spend as much time as is needed to fact find, and once everything's known, then we can start to figure out what needs doing.

Back