Sony QX100 & QX10 'Lens Cameras'

I've been looking at these with interest. I think it's a cool concept. But they can't do anything about smartphone battery life, and that's a big fail in my opinion. Also if I attached one to my iPhone I think the two together will be bigger to carry around than my Lumix LX7.

I watched Sony's official vidblog and it does look quite chunky when on the phone. I can see it selling well in first few months with staunch iPhone / Android users who don't want / need a CSC or DSLR.

I can also seeing it being bought by those who want some sort of voyeur cam!

Think they are a good idea for those that have a smartphone or tablet, want a decent camera but don't need the screen or the buttons.

Plus being able to frame up their selfies properly by putting the lens on the bookshelf or wall and then look at their screen will be great.

It's the logical step on from killing off the compact camera. You make the mobile phone camera as good as the compact with all the connectivity and apps already there. Simpler than making the camera with the connectivity and apps.

It would also need to work natively in some way so that you can use any app to capture photos eg instagram, smugmugs or the slow shutter apps etc. If you are restricted to sony's own than that is a big black mark against it.

It's the logical step on from killing off the compact camera. You make the mobile phone camera as good as the compact with all the connectivity and apps already there. Simpler than making the camera with the connectivity and apps.

It would also need to work natively in some way so that you can use any app to capture photos eg instagram, smugmugs or the slow shutter apps etc. If you are restricted to sony's own than that is a big black mark against it.

It's not the mobile phone camera. They use the mobile's screen and connectivity.

It's not the mobile phone camera. They use the mobile's screen and connectivity.

What I mean is when using the sony add on device you have to be able to use the camera apps in the same way as when you use the mobile's in built camera. If you can only take pictures with the sony add on device from within its own dedicated app then it becomes a lot less useful.

What I mean is when using the sony add on device you have to be able to use the camera apps in the same way as when you use the mobile's in built camera. If you can only take pictures with the sony add on device from within its own dedicated app then it becomes a lot less useful.
Pretty sure it'll only work with the sony apps - at least initially. All the other apps will only know about the camera on the device. They'd need to be rewritten to become aware of separate wifi cameras. Sony can't change this - it's up to the developer of your favourite app.

I think the interesting bit is freeing lens from screen and body, plus breaking them apart could make storage easier.

a ff one would cost 1500 or more, easily, and be really bad ergonomicly

According to GSMArena, Carphone Warehouse are giving away the QX10 with the Sony Xperia Z1.

http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_xperia...42.php?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

As are O2 but it's all while stocks last and the Z1 is going to be quite popular by all accounts, ordered mine from EE though. Free Smart watch 2 and cheaper overall.

The important thing about the cameras is that Sony wasn't as stupid as Sony from a few years ago who would have made them only work with Sony phones.

The important thing about the cameras is that Sony wasn't as stupid as Sony from a few years ago

Sony is rapidly moving back to being an innovator - much like Apple was 15 years ago. They have a lot of technically good but also interesting and 'different' products right now.

Sony is rapidly moving back to being an innovator - much like Apple was 15 years ago. They have a lot of technically good but also interesting and 'different' products right now.

Exactly. When you think about what Sony was all about, the iPod Really should have been something that came out of Sony. They were too fixated on odd file formats and proprietary rubbish. It should have just been the new Walkman. Even more so when you consider their ties to the music industry.

They got caught cold and it's bit them, they are finally pointing a few divisions back in the right direction.

Back