I tried again

Name
Alasdair
Edit My Images
Yes
I am determined to get my moneys worth from my 99p anemone :D, I found a 40watt spot light in the back of the draw and thought i'd put it to use :LOL:, so i tried to shoot the anomone with some extra light, what do you think am I getting the hang of this macro lark :cautious:
C&C welcome
anemone1+.jpg

anemone2+.jpg

anemone3+.jpg

anemone4+.jpg

anemone5+.jpg

anemone6+.jpg

I definitely think you are. These photos are really beautiful. I love the colours and they look so sharp. What equipment and set up did you use for these? I'm trying to take some with my Nikon D40X and close up lens but I'm getting nowhere as good as these.

Hi Hillwalkinggirl the equipment was nikon d40, tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, screw on macro lens and my new studio light :LOL: :LOL:
:shake: :shake: :shake:
light.jpg

Nice shots,

Number 1&6 for me. I think when you get a little higher than the flower your getting better shots.

SB

Hi Hillwalkinggirl the equipment was nikon d40, tripod, 18-55mm kit lens, screw on macro lens and my new studio light :LOL: :LOL:
:shake: :shake: :shake:
light.jpg

Was it a close up lens you used? I've got the Raynox 150. How did you set the flower up. I'm still trying to work out the best place to put it i.e. vertical or horizontal. I've been using on camera flash and tried all the DIY diffuser tricks but still seem to get a shadow of the lens. What's your secret? Would you share it with me please?:clap:

Nice shots,

Number 1&6 for me. I think when you get a little higher than the flower your getting better shots.

SB

I'm thinking that to, although i'm still experimenting :LOL:

Oh and hillwalkinggirl i nearly forgot the most embarassing err sorry important part, my portable studio :wacky:
box.jpg

I didn't use a flash, F32 i think, iso200 and 1.5 sec exposure, depending on where the flower was and the angle of the light

edit my macro lens
lens.jpg

Really like the last one......have captured it really well xxxx

Excellent Alxxx, just goes to show you don't need to spend a fortune to get great results ( I knew that all along too) ;)

A definate improvement!

I'm assuming you have panels cut in the cardboard outside the white paper?

Have you tried shing the light trough these instead of directly into the box?

A definate improvement!

I'm assuming you have panels cut in the cardboard outside the white paper?

Have you tried shing the light trough these instead of directly into the box?

I haven't cut holes in the sides yet, I made the box up and took the shots about 30 mins before i posted the images,
but i will do that next as i have found another 2 spot lamps :D .
this set of shots I wanted to get the shadows on the petals and try to get a sense of depth, having the lights shining through the sides is the next step, as I still have loads to learn about getting a good shot I feel the need to try some "what if's" :LOL:

Lovely shots there Alex with simple equipment. :clap:

Shouldn't it look more like this though?

anemon-edit.jpg

Not that I have the foggiest idea tbh, it's just that I notice you shot on Auto WB which is totally unreliable for tungsten light shots - as is the camera setting for Tungsten WB for that matter.

The best thing to do Alex when you're shooting under tungsten light is take a pic of a piece of white A4 paper ( or an 18% grey card) so that it fills the frame, but taken in the light in which you'll be shooting. Then set that as your custom white balance control pic in the camera menu. It makes a huge difference to the colours of your shots under artificial light.

I like your portable studio :clap: Looks very expensive ;)

Might see if i can make something similar :p:p

The best thing to do Alex when you're shooting under tungsten light is take a pic of a piece of white A4 paper ( or an 18% grey card) so that it fills the frame, but taken in the light in which you'll be shooting. Then set that as your custom white balance control pic in the camera menu. It makes a huge difference to the colours of your shots under artificial light.
thanks for the tip (y) going to try that

Hillwalkinggirl heres the Exif from the first shot
exif.jpg

Hi Alxxx, thank you for your tips. I shall be trying them out as soon as I can. I have a similar studio to you.
Soft Box
2344170216_00231f00f8_o.jpg

Raynox Close up lens with 52 to 43 step down ring.
2343339787_c63edd4957_o.jpg

but I also have a DIY image stabilizer
2344170152_32c27f95a2_o.jpg

but I still can't get such nice macro pics as you!:clap:

Lovely shots there Alex with simple equipment. :clap:

Shouldn't it look more like this though?

anemon-edit.jpg

Not that I have the foggiest idea tbh, it's just that I notice you shot on Auto WB which is totally unreliable for tungsten light shots - as is the camera setting for Tungsten WB for that matter.

Nice manipulation of WB and it does look very nice and realistic, but there is something very appealing about the slightly strange colours in alxxx version.

I agree hillwalkinggirl thats why i never said anything about the colour in the pics ( I wanted to make out that i meant to do it :LOL:) but something else learnt, messing with the white balance can have pleasing results.
Anyway i tried with the white balance and its not far off how it actualy looks in my studio :)lol:) with my elite spotlamp
anlb.jpg

Lovely clean yellow in that last one which is a good sign (rather than that tungsten orange cast) - nice texture too. (y)

Hi Alxxx. The jury is still out on whether it works. It does seem to make it easier to hold the camera steady. The idea being that you pull up taught against the cord. I haven't tried any with and without shots to compare yet, but that will make an interesting experiment.

I tried my previous version with thin twine, like the twine wrapped around screw,(I had to leave that attached to screw in new version as the thicker cord was too big to wrap around it) but have just scrapped previous version for the new one I photographed. The thin twine just ended up as a tangled mess.

I am hoping this one will be better.:thinking:

Personally, I really love shot 5.

Just goes to show what a bit of creativity and a pair of scissors can do eh!? :LOL:

sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy :shake:.
I have KUSO exif viewer, theres probably an eaiser way but I just right clicked the little icon at the top of the exif data, copy all contents , pasted into a text document, print screen, opened PS, new image from clipboard, cut out what i wanted and saved as jpg :thinking: there must be a quicker way

sorry for the delay, I've been a bit busy :shake:.
I have KUSO exif viewer, theres probably an eaiser way but I just right clicked the little icon at the top of the exif data, copy all contents , pasted into a text document, print screen, opened PS, new image from clipboard, cut out what i wanted and saved as jpg :thinking: there must be a quicker way

:ty:
Thats great. It's a very useful little program and works really well. I tried to find an easier way and this is what I did. I configured program only to show the info that I needed, then right clicked information and chose copy all contents, then you can just paste it straight into forum thread.

By the way I now have a new improved version of image stabilzer. I found the cord tangled and stretched on the previous one.
2351108523_b9b3daba90_o.jpg

Look at kirkphoto.com to see how it works.

(y)

nice shots , have you tried lighting the middle with a torch you can get some great highlight effects with that
gwh

Back