Light Meters

Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a light meter to use with my newly acquired beast of a camera the afga billy. I thought a hasselblad was hard to use but with this you have to use feet to get something in focus, no viewfinder other than a metal square that pops up.
Anyway I am looking for a cheap and small light meter can anyone recommend one?

Thanks.

Yup, Sekonic are good.

I have an L-308. Very pleased with it, nice, compact and simple. Not too many bells and whistles but does just the job I want it to. The only reason I would have gone for the bigger L-358 would have been for the optional PocketWizard compatability... but I use Bowens Pulsar's so not a lot of benefit to me.

Ok, do sekonic do a light meter without the flash function as I will never use it, I just want one for ambient readings.
Thanks.

As I mentioned in the op I have an old slr which doesn't have exposure meter, so I am having to take other cameras to get the exposure right.

Another vote for one of the digital Sekonic meters. All the meter you'll ever need, and you can disable the flash function usually if you want to.

It's worth checking out 2nd hand prices - big savings to be made - Ffordes usually have a selection of used ones.

I use a Gossen F2 very nice meter and very accurate, Gossen do an Ambient only meter as far as i know unless its been discontinued.

I will never use the flash function so there is no point paying for it. I will have a search through ebay now, and this is the camera if anyone is interested.

IMG_9033.jpg

Don,t want to highjack the thread, but could someone point out the benefits in real terms using a light meter as opposed to the one built into a high quality digital camera such as a D300 or 40D, bearing in mind they can cost quite a bit what can they do that the inbuilt one can,t :thinking: thanks in advance

Well the better ones have a white cone so that they can take reflected and incident light readings.

But an obvious practical advantage is where the camera is on a tripod and you want to take two exposures -one for the sky - one for the foreground. As it is now you'd need to take both readings before you put the camera on the tripod (to avoid moving the camera between readings) and either remember them or jot them down. Sometimes the light can change appreciably while you're doing that, but it's easy peasy to point that meter anywhere you like to obtain a reading.

Truthfully, in - camera meters are pretty good these days in most situations, and I wouldn't advise getting one if you're not going to use it, but they can be invaluable at times and learning how to use one will probably teach you more about exposure than anything else.

Spot meters in cameras are usually around a 5 degree spot, whereas better handheld meters have a 1 degree spot so it's possible to take very accurate readings from a particular tone in your scene.

I will never use the flash function so there is no point paying for it. I will have a search through ebay now, and this is the camera if anyone is interested.

IMG_9033.jpg

so where does the memory card go??:coat:

Typical, well I just bought one from London Camera Exchange for £5, its an old style but works fine, now does anyone have any links on how to use them???

Thanks.

Why do you think it's that joxby?

"London Camera Exchange for £5, its an old style....."

there are millions of them, they work great or not at all, and they're cheap.
kinda fits with the camera too

also, they look complicated....but they aren't.

I use the Weston MasterV, oh and anyone in need of the incident dome, I have a spare one.

Back