Sigma Vs Canon

digitalfailure

Staff Bog Cleaner 2015
Name
Brian
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys

I'm after some opinion and if possible some real owner feed back on a couple of lenses

Basic choice is

Canon 70-200 L f2.8 Is
Canon 70-200 L f4.0
70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG HSM

At ½ the cost of the f2.8 canon you can get the sigma but it's not got the stabiliser. The lens will replace the Canon 75-300 IS lens in my bag, While I find the IS to be great for the long length handheld stuff, it's not able to cope with panning shots in the same way as the L series canon but is it really worth so much more?

I've also never owned or used a sigma lens, so comments on the build, operation speed and focus ability would be great.

:)

all the sigma lenses i have are budget ones(not being as high paid as you cubicle maintenance fellas)so they are exactly that, Budget. Slow fousing, but i have been lucky to get good ones, im afraid i cant help with those lenses though, lol

THESE shots were taken with the 100-400L, and whilst they owe a lot to the camera's auto focus system, I suspect they also owe a fair bit to the IS system on the lens which was set to panning mode. Whether you go Canon or Sigma, you don't miss IS until you haven't got it - I wish all my lenses had it.

A 70-200mm lens is highly desirable, especially a fast 2.8 one. I can't help you out with the Sigma quality as I don't own any Sigma lenses. I dunno how much you've see the Canon version for, but I did see this one on offer from a UK seller..

CLICKY

Thanks for that Ct, from what i can make out from canon's site the 70-200 is only available without IS in f4.0 form

The sigma was 600ish from the high street shop I bought the BG-E2 from today :D

Looked great to be honest, tripod collar, hood and a very well made and padded bag for it to live in.

The canon f2.8 IS is a whopping 1300 beer tokens on the "street" :shock:

I really don't like the push pull design on the 100-400 otherwise it'd have been a contender.

digitalfailure said:
I really don't like the push pull design on the 100-400 otherwise it'd have been a contender.

Yep - a lot of people don't like it. I love it - very quick to use in practice.

digitalfailure said:
from what i can make out from canon's site the 70-200 is only available without IS in f4.0 form.

There is a f/2.8 version "without" IS available, strange that it's not on Canon's site :confused-

Edit* It seems to be still available from some sellers but not from others (eg. WarehouseExpress, Jessops don't have it listed). Could Canon be fazing it out? :suspect1:

User reviews of non-IS version - http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showproduct.php?product=13&sort=7&cat=27&page=1

Sites still selling it -
(UK) http://www.bristolcameras.co.uk/page56.htm (scroll down)
(Import) http://www.onestop-digital.com/cata...d=167&osCsid=bf640256e647e0572bb61a2dfb5bda0d

That was just with a quick search, I'm sure there'd be others if you search around a bit more... Cracking lens it seems.

I've never owned or used the canon F2.8 model but I did have the F4 and I've got the 100-400 and sigma 70-200 F2.8 just now.

F4 - light, very sharp, great for outdoors, very fast focussing.
Sigma - built like a tank, very sharp, (actually better definition than the canon variant through most of the range) fairly heavy, great in low light, quick focussing. I haven't noticed any difference between it and the F4 in terms of operation. The shallow DOF at 2.8 is a nightmare sometimes though

70-200 F4

100-400

sigma 70-200

Thanks for the replies so far :)

I really want the f2.8 because it'll end up being used with a 1.4x converter and still give a decent f value.

weight isn't that much of an issue tbh, it's not going to be the most ideal of walkround lenses, so for most of the time it'll be in my mini trekker. :D

The Canon f2.8 IS without doubt :)

hardly any loss of quality with the Canon 1.4X.

I started with the Canon 70-200 f4, a fantastic lens if you have some light, but as England is so gloomy most of the time, I decided to sell the f4 and bought the f2.8 IS - its fantastic. Very heavy though, and everyone notices you with it.

A lens you will keep for at least a decade...

street price about £1300 ish,
which means its only cost you about £10.80 a month over 10 years of ownership.. - <Gulp>

Mark.

Mark Grant said:
street price about £1300 ish,
which means its only cost you about £10.80 a month over 10 years of ownership.. - <Gulp>

Mark.
doesn't sound quite so bad when put like that!
I used the 100-400 at the weekend for rowing, amazing results.

shiato storm said:
I used the 100-400 at the weekend for rowing, amazing results.

I'd have thought an oar would have been better :laugh1:

digitalfailure said:
I'd have thought an oar would have been better :laugh1:
:laugh1:

I've got the 70-200 F4, but i'm currently seriously considering selling it on and buying myself the 70-200 F2.8 non-IS. I just sometimes find myself with the dreary english weather asking for more. The f4 is a whole load lighter, yes, but it's also a full stop slower. Quite often i'd really like that extra stop, and the shallower depth of field. I'm not really sure what to do... I'll be able to sell the 70-200 F4 for about &#163;450-460, and i've seen some online shops and ebay auctions selling the F/2.8 for about &#163;650... I'm not sure what to do :(

By the way, that F4 70-200 is an absolutely cracking lens, it's lightweight and easy to carry, as well as being absolutely tack sharp :)

Jonny said:
I'll be able to sell the 70-200 F4 for about £450-460,

Do they really go for that much now? I've lent mine to my friend as he has recently bought a 20D. The 70-200 cost me £325 from 7dayshop with the cashback so I was thinking of letting him have it at cost if he wants to buy it. Maybe I'll add a future profit share clause to the sale :)

RobertP said:
Do they really go for that much now? I've lent mine to my friend as he has recently bought a 20D. The 70-200 cost me £325 from 7dayshop with the cashback so I was thinking of letting him have it at cost if he wants to buy it. Maybe I'll add a future profit share clause to the sale :)
Have a look on ebay, brand new imported from HK are going for about £420, there's the usual UK powerseller from dudley getting about £450 for them :) Overcharge a bit on the postage and you're in for the £460 ;)

My vote would go for the Canon 70-200 f2.8 IS L as thats what i got after having a 70-200 f4 L.
very versatile with the 1.4x and can be used with 2x if you really have to.
its a cracking lens (oops didnt really mean that).

Back