Extracting the urine II (she's still at it)

Cobra

In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No

A follow-up from this thread

You can see that she has been a busy little queen in this hot weather
The nest is begining to take on the classic shape it is still only about 20mm across but the workers when hatched will start to build the extention.
You can also see the definition in the construction where different wood is being used hence the colour variations

IMG_2249.jpg

And here is the Queen close up adding a little more of my fence to her house.
I called it quits at this point I had been dive-bombed a couple of times so I let her be for today

IMG_2260.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, great shots, so how long does it take until the nest is fully built?

Superb Cobra ... (y) ... amazing detail and really great to see the nest building thing progress ... :ty:

I wonder how close you will be getting when the workers start their bit ... :naughty:

:p

Wow, great shots, so how long does it take until the nest is fully built?

Thanks (y)
by mid ( possibley late) summer, depending on the weather, the hotter the better, it will around the size of a football. but this one will be dead long before then as it is at the entrance to my shed

Superb Cobra ... (y) ... amazing detail and really great to see the nest building thing progress ... :ty:

I wonder how close you will be getting when the workers start their bit ... :naughty:

:p

Thanks Ven (y)
about as close as I can get with my "probe" :D
Its a shame but its right in the way of my ferrets and Hawk I can't risk it getting too big :(
If she had built it somewhere else I would have let her be for much longer

Very fascinating indeed.

Have just spent 20 mins reading the original thread. Superb!

Very fascinating indeed.

Have just spent 20 mins reading the original thread. Superb!

Thanks Lee(y)
Glad you enjoyed it

Would it not be better to get rid of it now rather than let her do loads of hard grafting and then for you to 'destroy' it.???? I know it makes for a good photo thread but seems kind of cruel. I know they are 'only' wasps, but even so....

If you knock it out while she's away collecting wood, will she start a new nest somewhere else, or try and start over again in the same place?

Would it not be better to get rid of it now rather than let her do loads of hard grafting and then for you to 'destroy' it.???? I know it makes for a good photo thread but seems kind of cruel. I know they are 'only' wasps, but even so....

If you knock it out while she's away collecting wood, will she start a new nest somewhere else, or try and start over again in the same place?

Ok so maybe I am being cruel
(can you be cruel to a wasp letting her carry out what is so ingrained in her "mind" that she has to do it no matter what :shrug: )
Which is the second part of your question yes, unless the queen dies she will more than likely build in the same place but may move a few yards and start again

99% of people only notice wasps nests in the summer when sitting outside having BBQ's etc but by then the nest is well established
not only has she nurtured the lavea but in turn the workers when grown have looked after 1000's of their siblings

Again, amazing....

Thank you(y)

Last edited:
Looks like she making you a nice lampshade Chris :LOL: stunning series and keep em coming (y)

i am loving this thread! are we going to start having daily updates until its gone?

Can't you destroy the nest now show she can move on and survive? otherwise maybe you will kill her when it comes to destroying all its hard work.

I feel guilty for my napalm comment.

Fascinating. I dug into a wasps nest some years ago digging holes for fence posts - it was indeed the size of a football.

Looks like she making you a nice lampshade Chris stunning series and keep em coming (y)
Cheers Alby (y) a 20-25mm lampshade? :D
i am loving this thread! are we going to start having daily updates until its gone?
I will post as much as I can, but there won't be much to see once the bottom is "sealed" (all but a small entry point) until the workers start to hatch

Can't you destroy the nest now show she can move on and survive? otherwise maybe you will kill her when it comes to destroying all its hard work.
See above she won't move on even if I just destroy the nest
ps good photos Chris (y)
Cheers Ruthie
Fascinating. I dug into a wasps nest some years ago digging holes for fence posts - it was indeed the size of a football.
Cheers CT (y) yep they will stick 'em anywhere!
I even found one in an old armchair that had been dumped outside (amoungst many other places) well thats to say,
I didn't actually find it as such, the guy that sat in the chair found it for me :LOL:

:LOL: Let her BEE :LOL:
:coat:
I was gonna put that myself but thought it too corny :D

How about a vacuum cleaner with long nozzle attachment as the safest way to catch/dispose of the queen?

eers CT yep they will stick 'em anywhere!
I even found one in an old armchair that had been dumped outside (amoungst many other places) well thats to say,
I didn't actually find it as such, the guy that sat in the chair found it for me

ouch!!!!!

Reading this while (my) Chris stokes the BBQ I am reminded why I will be sitting inside looking out through the (quickly closeable) window, while he cooks the goods :LOL: I am petrified of wasps like Marcel. If that wasp had come near me at the zoo food court the other day you would have had some entertainment for sure :LOL:

Very interesting though Chris (y) In the front garden of our previous home we had a Hornets nest. They were going in through a tiny hole in the ground. We weren't too worried until we seemed to get a sudden influx of the things. Having witnessed my older sister have one go up her top as a child , and seeing her get stung many times over, I decided action was needed. So the father in law came to the rescue. He came armed with a spade and some red diesel. I sat in the bedroom (it was a bungalow) and watched him pour some diesel through the hole, then light it. Once the flames had died down a bit :)eek:) and there were no more visible Hornets flying around, he lifted the soil. The nest was huge ... and I am talking about 6ft+ huge! He mashed it up with the spade and re-lit it just to be safe. it wasn't until digging a bit more the next day that we discovered it was more like 9ft long :eek: I'm kind of glad we called in our exterminator when we did :LOL:

Is it true that bait shops will pay a small fortune for grubs for fishing bait?

Very interesting though Chris (y) In the front garden of our previous home we had a Hornets nest. They were going in through a tiny hole in the ground. We weren't too worried until we seemed to get a sudden influx of the things. Having witnessed my older sister have one go up her top as a child , and seeing her get stung many times over, I decided action was needed. So the father in law came to the rescue. He came armed with a spade and some red diesel. I sat in the bedroom (it was a bungalow) and watched him pour some diesel through the hole, then light it. Once the flames had died down a bit :)eek:) and there were no more visible Hornets flying around, he lifted the soil. The nest was huge ... and I am talking about 6ft+ huge! He mashed it up with the spade and re-lit it just to be safe. it wasn't until digging a bit more the next day that we discovered it was more like 9ft long :eek: I'm kind of glad we called in our exterminator when we did :LOL:

Is it true that bait shops will pay a small fortune for grubs for fishing bait?

Thanks Jo(y)
Those Hornets nest can be quite large ref the 1st thread I found one totally filling a roof space.
A guy that works for us ( he's a bit of a plonker actually)
Was stood looking for a nest, the twit was stood over it, a wasp went up his trouser leg and he got "hit" 6 times before he could get them off
I nearly wet myself when he was relaying the story
( you have to know him to get the full benifit from the story :D)
I know the grubs are sort after as bait but no idea as to the value perhaps I should look into it as a side line? :D

Back