Just how good is Ptarmigan Camouflage !

IanC_UK

TPer Emeritus
Name
Ian Cook
Edit My Images
Yes
LOL Took this today while driving round Northern Iceland, 1d Mk3 and 300 2.8 IS with 2x TC Handheld (uncropped) through car window :)

Ptarmigan5.jpg

Nice shot, Ian. In a completely snowy landscape, the ptarmigan would definitely be hard to see!

Nice one indeed. Its been a while since I saw a real live Ptarmigan

Is it ptarmigans that change their colour to more mottled looking in the summer months? :thinking:

Nice shot though Ian and really does demonstrate how well the camo works .....

....which reminds me, have you got the 600mm with you, and if so, did you pack a snowy white camo sleave for that too? [as opposed to off white/grey of its natural plumage] :D :p

Is it ptarmigans that change their colour to more mottled looking in the summer months? :thinking:

Nice shot though Ian and really does demonstrate how well the camo works .....

....which reminds me, have you got the 600mm with you, and if so, did you pack a snowy white camo sleave for that too? [as opposed to off white/grey of its natural plumage] :D :p

Yes Ptarmigans do change colour for summer i believe. :)

And no havent got the 600 with me, was too tricky to get on the flight, but ill be more prepared next time ! :)

Thanks all :)

Nice one indeed. Its been a while since I saw a real live Ptarmigan

They have plastic ones up in Scotland do they, Charlie? ;)

Lovely shot, Ian... thanks for sharing with us southern folk!

Good eating if you can catch them apparently.
Quite a tidy shot that

Yes Ptarmigans do change colour for summer i believe. :)

You are indeedy correct ... they become MBJ's ... :LOL:

As opposed to LBJ's ... :cautious:

Very well captured Ian and really does show why they take on a Winter coat ... :clap:

OMG ... :eek: ... all that way and no 600 ... :nono: ... what were you thinking my good man ... :cautious:

:p

You are indeedy correct ... they become MBJ's ... :LOL:

As opposed to LBJ's ... :cautious:

Very well captured Ian and really does show why they take on a Winter coat ... :clap:

OMG ... :eek: ... all that way and no 600 ... :nono: ... what were you thinking my good man ... :cautious:

:p

I was thinking of my poor back and my luggage allowance lol :) the 300 2.8 is fairly good :)

Thanks everybody i have more to upload today :)

"How good is Ptarmigan camouflage?"

What ptarmigan? ;)

Back