Review Sigma 24-60 f2.8 EX Review

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
This is a now discontinued lens, and occupies similar territory to the popular 24-70 f2.8 EX which I will also review.

The 24-60 is a great 'walkabout' lens for full-frame bodies, but on a crop body you may consider it not wide enough.

The build quality, as with most Sigma EX series, is very good and has the comfortable yet robust 'rough' finish and smooth manual focus and zoom operation.

There is an AF/MF switch on the side of the lens and AF is generally excellent, reliable and fast (and quiet too!) in all but the lowest of light.

The constant f2.8 means that this is a pretty fast lens, and as such is ideal for low light photography where that extra stop can make all the difference. As you would expect, this can lead to a very shallow DOF but that can open up some wonderful oppourtunities for artisic shots.

The Image Quality is superb with great sharpness, contrast and a minimal distortion. Of course at 24mm there is some barrel distortion evident, but this smooths out at around 35mm and is easily corrected in PP.

The weight and size are another plus, this is not a heavy lens - far lighter than the 24-70mm

Overall, an excellent lens and if you can, grab one!

Not really, although if using it on a crop body I guess it's not going to be wide enough for some situations.

The 24-70mm version has 'macro' ability too, so is a bit better at close focusing, but I never did find the 24-60mm wanting.

Cheers,
James

I know about the macro on the 24-70, and wasn't sure how much I'd need it. but I could always get some extension tubes from old Jessops :D

Also, the fact that its not 17/18mm (like most walkaround lenses) was a bit of a concern, hence why in NYC I'll be lugging the 10-20 around with me :)

I'm just praying I get a good copy, and touching wood as I type this :p

Back