Status
Not open for further replies.

andy_fozzy

SPAM Merchant
Name
Andy!
Edit My Images
Yes
I'd like to hear from other Sony Alpha users, having just got an a300.
The majority of photogs use Canon or Nikon, so if it's ok with da management, I'd like to start a Sony Alpha thread.

So if you are a Sony a user, would like to be, were once but not anymore, then lets chat!!

Bodies, lenses, accessories etc..........

I think if Sony keeping expanding there lens range, and making great camera bodies they will soon be catching up with the like of canon and nikon
:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

:popcorn:

:tumbleweed:

:coat:

can we wait that long?

I had the A100,now have the 350,quite happy with the results,still learning.

LOL @ sportysnaps!!!!

I don't think it'll be very long.
The only reason, I believe that they aren't as popular is the lens (or lack of them) range.
And allot of buying comes from word of mouth. Allot of folk will seek advice when buying a camera, and 9 out of 10 people will suggest either Canon or Nikon.

£450 (Jessops!) for the a300, £100 for the Siggy 70-300mm APO DG Macro.
To get a 10MP body and kit lens, stabilized 70-300mm lens (which produces AWESOME shots....) setup, I don't think you'd get a Canon or Nikon equivalent for that price.

No dis-respect to either, as they have a well deserved-great reputation, but Sony deserve a bit of the credit I think.

sony alpha100 here...my first DSLR.it's a great camera with lots of features etc,with my only gripe being the price of sony lens,but having said that,there's lots of KM lens on e-bay that are cheap as chips.i picked up a 50mm F1.7 prime for £40 in excellent condition.it doesn't bother me buying 3rd party lens so long as they're good glass,and my sigma 105 F2.8 macro lens is testament to that.

Hey Stan, I was near you at the weekend, went to the Aberdulais Falls on Sunday afternoon for a look round on our way back from Tenby.

Will be checking out the photos from my A100 later on today once back from work.

Hey Stan, I was near you at the weekend, went to the Aberdulais Falls on Sunday afternoon for a look round on our way back from Tenby.

Will be checking out the photos from my A100 later on today once back from work.

hi JPS..what did you think of aberdulais falls?

my opinion is that they're not particularly specacular,but easily accessable to the disabled and elderly,whereas all the other falls in the area are certainly not.

i'll look forward to seeing your pics on here.i too am an alpha 100 user (y)

I think if Sony keeping expanding there lens range, and making great camera bodies they will soon be catching up with the like of canon and nikon

Sony has announced a 25mp full frame DSLR for later this year. Since Sony wishes to break the Canon Nikon duopoly, I am sure the price will be attractive.

Another A200 user, love the camera and the pics, and with Sigma and Tamron providing lenses for a decent price you can't go wrong

hi JPS..what did you think of aberdulais falls?

my opinion is that they're not particularly specacular,but easily accessable to the disabled and elderly,whereas all the other falls in the area are certainly not.

i'll look forward to seeing your pics on here.i too am an alpha 100 user (y)

To get a good clear view of the falls was rather difficult with my tripod, could have done with one where the centre column can be moved to lie horizontal to get over and above the railings. Apart from that, I quite liked the place, it had just stopped raining at about 2pm ish when we arrived. Bit of a last minute thing really, just saw the brown tourist signs and thought we'd take a look as long as it wasn't too far from the beaten track - bearing in mind we were only an hour and a half into a six hour car ride home, then as luck would have it, they are only just off the juction so not much of a detour.

Thought I'd add my name to the list. A100 owner with a growing amount of kit but still lacking the knowledge to use it well.:(

Dont Nikon use Sony bits ? or am i wrong?

A100 and A700 owner here and couldn't be more happy. Yes the Sony lenses are fewer and expensive, but I'm sure that will change in time. In the meantime, Sigma and Tamron are more than capable, the aforementioned 105mm macro especially so. (y)

Not a Sony user yet but may be making the A200 or A300 my first DSLR soon. :)

I was a Minolta owner in my film days, so I intended buying either the A300 or A350, but when I found out there was no Depth of Field preview changed my mind. Couldn't afford the A700 so I ended up with Canon 40D. I'm sure the Sony's are great cameras, but I'm glad I ended up with the 40D
:banana:

The other models except the a300 have live view. That's why there is no DOF button! They don't need it!!

I note that the Alpha 700 made it into the best buys on the Which DLSR review. The reviewers didn't like it in auto mode and would have rated it much lower based on the auto mode only, however the manual modes raised the camera into the top four.

The other models except the a300 have live view. That's why there is no DOF button! They don't need it!!

I thought it was the A200 that doesn't have live view?

Good to hear from other Sony users.

I just bought a spare battery for my a300.
Cheapest I could find was £42 :eek: from DigitalRev (London).

Out of interest, what do you guys who own one think of the DT18-70mm 'kit' lens?
I think it's a cracking lens, which doesn't deserve some of the bad things I've heard about it!

I think it's quite capable and appears to have a better reputation than some other brands' kit lenses. I used mine on my first paid shoot and the recipients were very pleased with the results.

I think it's quite capable and appears to have a better reputation than some other brands' kit lenses. I used mine on my first paid shoot and the recipients were very pleased with the results.

Hey, congrats on the first paid shoot!
Nice one!

Well I'm thinking it's a damn fine lens, which I'm not in a hurry to upgrade.

Thanks, that was a year ago now. I don't use the lens anymore as I prefer to use primes where possible and the Tamron 18-250 where a zoom is needed. The 18-70 is a great lens to start out with though and it certainly got me started.

I'm on the verge of buying from the Sony Alpha range - been a Minolta user for quite some time and would like to keep using the lenses that I have. It's good to hear what you guys have to say about these cameras!

For £230 I couldn't be happier, :D however I have only had one proper opportunity to use it and that didn't turn out as I'd hoped :( :bang:

See here for explaination:
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=55095

DOF button is this on the A100 if so never used it? Is it that important?

I didn't see that thread first time, don't know why/how I missed it. I'm looking for a longer lens than my standard 75-300 so just wondered how you got on with yours.

I'm on the verge of buying from the Sony Alpha range - been a Minolta user for quite some time and would like to keep using the lenses that I have. It's good to hear what you guys have to say about these cameras!

Go for it mate.
I cannot give the a300 enough praise.

Good to hear from other Sony users.

I just bought a spare battery for my a300.
Cheapest I could find was £42 :eek: from DigitalRev (London).

Out of interest, what do you guys who own one think of the DT18-70mm 'kit' lens?
I think it's a cracking lens, which doesn't deserve some of the bad things I've heard about it!

Andy, i would check out spare batteries on ebay, cant remember where i got mine from on there, but there are quite a few places to get generic ones from, mine for A100 was about a tenner including postage and its every bit as good as the branded one.

Any of you guys had any experience with the Sony 16 -105 3.5 5.6 lens. This is currently one of the bundles that the A700 is coming with, along with the CZ16-80. I have seen a few reviews saying that the 16 - 105 is a great performer and I just wondered if any one here could vouch for it.

i really fancy the carl zeiss 16-80 and camera world are doing it for £460.i tried to get it for £400 but they wouldn't budge on their price :D

I'm sure they are a very nice lens, but is the £400 + price tag really justified?
Can this lens REALLY be that good?

i'm an a100 owner and i'm pretty pleased with the camera so far..

My reason for buying it over canon/nikon was because i already had a couple of lenses for my old minolta dynax 300si and i thought it would be a good stepping stone into the world of digital slr's....

The fact that there are literally millions of quality second hand lenses available is also a bonus :)

Still trying to get a decent beercan for cheap though :)

Just to add myself to this thread, Sony a100 user and very happy too! Initially chose the Sony because a couple of mates are Canon and Nikon users and thought i'd buck the trend, plus the chunky Alpha suits my big hands.

As for the CZ 16-80 being worth it... will let you know when it arrives, hopefully gonna be on Wednesday then it off to Spain for me hols, post some shots when i'm back.

Chewy: Thats exactly the same reason that made me go for the sony. My hands are pretty big and the others were just too small to be comfortable..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back