Canon's new EOS 1000D Entry Level SLR

Admin

Admin
Edit My Images
No
United Kingdom / Republic of Ireland, 10 June 2008: Canon today announces its latest D-SLR, the EOS 1000D. Featuring a 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor, 7-point wide area AF system and up to 3fps continuous JPEG shooting until the memory card is full (Limited to size of individual SD card used), the EOS 1000D represents a more affordable entry point to the world of EOS cameras whilst taking full advantage of over 70 years of imaging expertise.

With the lightest body of any digital EOS camera, the EOS 1000D incorporates a range of technologies used in Canon's professional EOS-1 series cameras, including the DIGIC III image processor, and Live View mode. For straight-from-the-box shooting, the EOS 1000D is available with a Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens which includes 4-stop image stabilisation, ensuring superb performance even in low-light conditions.

The EOS 1000D is a small camera with a big idea: the supreme adaptability and image quality of the EOS system, in an accessible, affordable package, said Mogens Jensen, Head of Canon Consumer Imaging Europe. For anyone ready to take the next step in creative photography, it offers the perfect entry point to the world of D-SLR.

Pricing & Availability

The EOS 1000D is available from the end of July priced at the following;
EOS 1000D body only £499.99 / €649.99 RRP inc. VAT
EOS 1000D 18-55mm IS lens kit £579.99 / €749.99 RRP inc. VAT.

Features at a glance:
10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor
EOS Integrated Cleaning System
7-point wide-area AF system with f/5.6 cross-type centre point
Up to 3 frames per second
2.5" LCD with Live View shooting
DIGIC III image processor
Compatible with SD and SDHC memory cards
Compact and lightweight body
Digital Photo Professional RAW processing software
Fully compatible with all Canon EF and EF-S lenses and EX-series Speedlites

Designed to deliver more
As with all EOS models, key components for the EOS 1000D are designed and manufactured in-house to work with each other for the ultimate image quality. A 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor with larger pixels for smooth, low-noise images offers sufficient resolution to produce prints in sizes up to A4, even when cropping your image. To protect images against the effects of sensor dust, the EOS 1000D includes the EOS Integrated Cleaning System, which combats dust in three separate ways: reducing, removing and repelling.

The EOS 1000D also features a DIGIC III image processor, as used in Canon's professional D-SLR models. This allows continuous shooting until the SD or SDHC memory card is full, at speeds of up to 3fps (3fps when shooting JPEG, 1.5fps RAW. See specifications for details) with the number of shots limited only by the size of the card. DIGIC III also delivers superior image rendering, rapid operation and virtually instant start-up times.

Intelligent focus and flash
For shots where fast focusing is needed, the EOS 1000D features a 7-point wide area Auto Focus system, capable of locking onto a subject in a fraction of a second. A cross-type central focus point continues to operate effectively even when used in lower-light and lower-contrast settings. Also included is E-TTL II, Canon's distance-linked flash exposure system found in professional EOS models.

Effortless ease
Weighing just 450g, the EOS 1000D is Canon's lightest D-SLR to date, with a compact, ergonomic body designed for comfortable handling. A bright 2.5" LCD screen lets users instantly review images for composition, sharpness and focus or, thanks to a wide viewing angle, instantly share shots with friends. The LCD also provides access to a fast, easy-to-read menu system, which uses tabs to avoid unnecessary scrolling. Inherited from the latest EOS models, the menu system includes direct control over external devices such as Speedlite flash units.

Photo quality in every situation is aided by 12 custom functions, including Auto Lighting Optimizer - which corrects brightness and contrast during image processing, while improving skin tones in portraits by ensuring correct exposure for faces. Photographers can also enable additional noise reduction for shots captured at high ISO speeds.

Live View
For shooting situations where using the viewfinder is impractical or where a tripod is used users can switch to Live View mode, which displays the scene as a smooth, 30fps video feed on the LCD. An optional grid line and histogram display can be selected to help with shot composition and exposure. Two AF modes are available for use with Live View: Quick AF, which momentarily flips the camera's mirror to engage the AF sensor, and Live AF, which uses contrast information for compact camera-style focusing.

Software
The EOS 1000D is supplied with a comprehensive software suite that provides all the necessary tools for managing and processing images. This includes Digital Photo Professional (DPP), a powerful RAW converter that provides complete RAW image processing control. DPP also integrates with camera features such as Dust Delete Data and Picture Styles. The supplied Picture Style Editor software can be used to create custom Picture Styles for fine control over colour display. The camera also comes with EOS Utility, Image/Zoom Browser and Photostitch.

http://www.canon-europe.com/press_centre/product_information/cameras_accessories/EOS_1000D.asp

this seems to have come out of the blue and I can't really see where it fits in with the others in the Eos range.

Looks like some nice features though :)

The model number is quite a jump from previous models too.

If you flip the new model over you'll see "made by Mattel" printed on the base......expect a pink Barbie version any day now (y) :LOL:

I guess that they felt that they were leaving a hole in the market at the bottom end. The 450D feature creeping nearer to a 40D, the 40D again creaping towards the 1D (let's not mention the MKIII fiasco).

Actually, I wonder if this is a pre-cursor to the 1DIIIa (or whatever its called), smoke and mirrors tactics?

Does seem a bit pointless really, and a bit of a waste of money for them.

canon wouldnt be trying to throw people off the 5d mk2 track with this would they?

Horrifically pointless :shrug:
Actually If you give it some thought, it is a very good marketing ploy.
Keep your entry level below your competitors, and in the future if they upgrade, they will stick to the same brand, because of the extras they will have bought, lenses flash etc. In most cases it's the camera fitting that keeps you allied to one maker.

Keep your entry level below your competitors, and in the future if they upgrade, they will stick to the same brand, because of the extras they will have bought, lenses flash etc. In most cases it's the camera fitting that keeps you allied to one maker.

but wasnt the 400d good enough for that?

Anyone think it's a hoax?

Updated the first post with the proper press release, and some images. Click the images for bigger sizes.

I don't get it :shrug:

it doesn't seem to fit anywhere, i thought it slotted in between the 400D and 450D, but i don't think it does, Frankenstein springs to mind !!!!

If you look at the oldgit's post I think he has answered that, very well.

oldgit doesnt mention the 400d:shrug:

tigre64, i think the 400d is being discontinued soon

another plastic toy for the masses to play with...

this seems to have come out of the blue and I can't really see where it fits in with the others in the Eos range.

Its like the EOS film cameras, the more digits the lower down the range it is: 1 digit (1D/5D etc) top of the range --> 2 digit advanced amateur --> 3 digit old entry level --> 4 digit even lower entry level.

At the moment the 400D is overlapping with the 450D and now the 1000D, but that will just be old stock...

Agreed, good marketing ploy, the 3 digit series of cameras are getting higher in spec and more complicated as people expect more from the series.

Bring in the 4 digit series, make it simple and cheap enough to get your foot on the slr ladder, and you have them tied in with the brand loyalty and if you can sell them a couple of reasonably cheap lenses to boot they will not want to swap everything in there kit if they want to upgrade.

Well we knew it was coming, as it's in the help file from the last DPP update.

Make it cheap and get them young into EOS range and they stick with Canon as they move up the dSLR ladder.

It's the pricing that gets me. As a camera it is aimed lower that a 400D more on a part with the Nikon D40/D60 and possible the Sony A300 yet it is priced higher than them?

1000D : RRP £500
450D : RRP £600
40D : RRP £800

You're all getting the RRP of the 1000D mixed up with the actual price of the 450 / 40D on the streets now.

Quite a jump back as the old 35mm SLR range had a 1000F

Looks like a good idea to me (y)

I purchased a 3000V film slr a few months back for £100 with two lenses. Canon probably made naff all on it, but since then I've added 50mm, 85mm and 135mm primes, all bought new. So now I'm on Canon gear :)

Although I really want a full frame DSLR, a 1000D might be just the ticket until I can afford a 2nd-hand 5D.

I just think it's brilliant that all the lenses are interchangeable!

still don't understand why they didn't concentrate their efforts in a 5D upgrade...

still don't understand why they didn't concentrate their efforts in a 5D upgrade...

Because the 5D, good as it undoubtably is, isn't a mainstream product. If Canon can get newbies to buy a 1000D then hopefully they will (as noted in previous posts) buy some consumer-grade glass and then move up to a 450D and perhaps onto a 40D. Being FF the 5D appeals to a more niche market and probably isn't as much of a moneyspinner as the APS sensor models are.

im pretty sure they will have people working on a 5d upgrade as well as this.

^ Yep the 5D is well overdue for an upgrade, but they won't announce something that big randomly out of the blue like this 1000D, the will wait for a big event. My guess is Photokina this September. Can't wait for the 5D MKII, it's going to be awesome.

Wow this is random, didn't expect it at all!

I do actually think it's quite a good idea.

Even with the 400D and 450D, there's still a gap in the market as there's a noticable jump from bridge cameras to DSLR. This would fit there nicely, alot of people out there find the 400D/450D range too expensive. It's going to bring in alot of customers for Canon who would be buying compacts/bridge cameras becuase they can't afford the entry level DSLR.

It will also be useful for those wanting the quality and control of a DSLR with the compactness and lightness of a compact/bridge.

It amazes me how they can keep it quite right from development through to announcing it's imminent arrival in the stores.

^

Even with the 400D and 450D, there's still a gap in the market as there's a noticable jump from bridge cameras to DSLR. This would fit there nicely, alot of people out there find the 400D/450D range too expensive. .....

I'm confused - the 400D is cheaper than the 1000D (although it has very recently been discontinued) but Canon have a couple of crakers down in the not-so-compact / bridge-esque cameras in the G9 and the S5 which I find (more-so G9) would complement any camera bag and ease people away from the point, shoot and hope style of photography! Who knows what they're playing at...:shrug:

I was a little surprised at this announcement - I think Canon's just complicating things a bit too much.

Oh and for what it's worth, my money's on a 5D upgrade around Photokina in the autumn ;)

^ Yep the 5D is well overdue for an upgrade, but they won't announce something that big randomly out of the blue like this 1000D, the will wait for a big event. My guess is Photokina this September. Can't wait for the 5D MKII, it's going to be awesome.

Wow this is random, didn't expect it at all!

I do actually think it's quite a good idea.

Even with the 400D and 450D, there's still a gap in the market as there's a noticable jump from bridge cameras to DSLR. This would fit there nicely, alot of people out there find the 400D/450D range too expensive. It's going to bring in alot of customers for Canon who would be buying compacts/bridge cameras becuase they can't afford the entry level DSLR.

It will also be useful for those wanting the quality and control of a DSLR with the compactness and lightness of a compact/bridge.

Must agree with the timing on this one...:thinking::thinking:

Don't agree with the 5D MkII being so great...It will probably have a Digic III processor in it and I think this is where Canon made a huge mistake...

Would buy another 5D any day

Look at what Nikon did when they built the D3...

Don't agree with the 5D MkII being so great...It will probably have a Digic III processor in it and I think this is where Canon made a huge mistake...

you dont rate the digic III processor?

Why would the Digic III be a mistake for the 5D MKII? It's number 1 on the list of things the 5D needs...

I reckon it's going to be an awesome bit of kit. Really looking foward to it.

Why would the Digic III be a mistake for the 5D MKII? It's number 1 on the list of things the 5D needs...

I reckon it's going to be an awesome bit of kit. Really looking foward to it.

Not take this too far O/T but consider the fact that the 1D Mk III and, to lesser extents, the 40D and 1Ds Mk III have issues...was the digic III really street ready, is it now?

you dont rate the digic III processor?

No, I don't...and I know it is harsh / unfair to discriminate against the processor but it is an easy way for me to know which generation of Canon cameras are best avoided IMHO.

Let's hope that the 1D MkIIIN leads the way for these issues to be properly resolved.

And yes, the 40D issues will more likely be operator error but there seems to be issues there too...

I can appreciate all the benefits like 14 bit, live view and all that but I feel that the MkIII cameras were rushed into the market when they were not ready...

No, I don't...and I know it is harsh / unfair to discriminate against the processor but it is an easy way for me to know which generation of Canon cameras are best avoided IMHO.

Let's hope that the 1D MkIIIN leads the way for these issues to be properly resolved.

And yes, the 40D issues will more likely be operator error but there seems to be issues there too...

I can appreciate all the benefits like 14 bit, live view and all that but I feel that the MkIII cameras were rushed into the market when they were not ready...

AFAIK there has been no problems with the DIGIC III processor based P&S's. Anyway, AF isn't handled by the DIGIC in the 1D series, so the AF problems on the 1DMkIII probably don't stem from that.

Re: This camera

It makes sense! Nikon has been flooding the market with dirt cheap (well, quite cheap) DSLR's for the last few years. Even 2 years ago, the D50 was always cheaper than the 350D, and it's been the same way ever since. People looking for the cheapest DSLR (and remember that for a lot of people the interchangable lenses, hotshoe and large sensor (indirectly - they probably don't know about the large sensor but they like the images it produces) are the reason they get the DSLR). They go into Jessops and the guy says "You can get a Nikon D40 for £300, or a Canon 450D for £500". They don't really care that the Canon is technically superior, and there's no way the sales guy is going to tell them that the D40 doesn't work with most older lenses. They get the cheapest one. With the 1000D, they'll walk into the shop and have a choice based on features rather than price.

Hmm, another new camera from the 'big two'.
Personally I am thinking this is just getting all too confusing for someone getting to the DSLR's for the first time.

Only a year or two ago.. you had the 350 and 400D from Canon to choose from.. and now, well I've lost track on the new releases. Seems to be one every forth night.

And who keeps buying these new cameras... we can't all be carrying an arsenal of 10 cameras (hmm, I need the 1D MKIII for sports, then as a back up I need my 1D MKII and 1D MKIIn, for weddings I take my 1Ds MKIII and 5D + I can't wait to get the 5D MKII. Of course when I go on holidays I need the 400D, and for the kids 40D, wife 450D and now I need the 1000D to complete the range.) Isn't this what it is in the camera manufacturers dreams...*hehe*

I think a thread of 'How long have you had your camera' is going to pop up soon...very soon...:LOL::D

Back