Viewing 40d raw files in XP

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

my macbook is off for repair and I want to view the images taken with my 40d on my pc. I have raw image viewer but it will not open my 40d files. What does everybody else use?
My pc is running XP.

I use the Canon software you normally get with the camera, that works a charm.

Do you have the latest raw plugin?

Hi Janice, I have installed the plug in and can view and alter the image in CS3 but when I want to open another image I hit "Ctrl O" to open the file in my pictures but I cannot see any of the thumbnails. The same if I open my pictures and the file with all the 40d images in it, when I try to open an image to view it with microsoft raw image viewer I get the message "Failed to open image"

I have trawled through microsofts downloads and the only raw image viewer I can find is the one I have got, it is for new cameras like the d50 and 20d. So not that new really.

Stephen, this is a plugin for windows explorer that displays thumbnails for 450d RAW files.

Just downloaded the plug in and run the set up etc, still can't view my images? When I right click on an image I can see "edit with arcsoft studio darkroom or About arcsoft raw thumbnail viewer" I don't want to download any other editing software, CS3 is more than enough all I want to do is to be able to see my images in windows so I can choose which to edit.

If its of any interest to you....... I cant either!! :D :LOL:

Download and install Canon's own Raw Codec.

You can also browse with Bridge.

Stephen, if you right click the file, then select Open With, you can pick Photoshop from the list and make that the default. Then whenever you double click the file PS will launch.

Ah sorry, I misread it. I had a similar problem with the RAW files on my 450d. I ended up installing the Canon software provided and the latest RAW codec from the canon website and that plugin. You can get the Canon codec from here

that's not the full canon software, just the codec for windows. I don't think you need the canon software.

You can only view RAWs as Thumbnails with plug-ins in Vista.
I've got both XP and Vista on different machines. Vista fine. XP no go

You can only view RAWs as Thumbnails with plug-ins in Vista.
I've got both XP and Vista on different machines. Vista fine. XP no go

That's not what Canon's website says.

MWSnap%202008-06-20%2C%2020_18_39.jpg

I'm not sure what combination worked Paul, but I see thumbnails from the the cr2 files produced from my 450d in XP Pro. I think I only needed the Canon Codec and the Plugin, although I installed a load of other stuff trying to get them to show first, including the MS RAW image viewer and the full canon suite.

Ok apparently I'm proven wrong.
Still I dont get it working in XP (not that I care as thats my 2ndary machine)

If you have CS3 then I would just use Abode bridge to be honest....its much better than anything else than windows can offer.

Simon

ive been trying for months and just cannot get 40D raw files to preview as thumbnails in XP. i use DDP instead and then note down numbers of the images i want to use in photoshop. I also have lightroom which is a great raw editor

I use bridge or DPP

FastStone is a free image browser that supports 40D RAW files.

Don't let the 'free' bit fool you, it's a powerful application.

FastStone is a free image browser that supports 40D RAW files.

Don't let the 'free' bit fool you, it's a powerful application.

:agree:[

downloaded this on a mates PC to let him see a raw file and was impressed with it, especially the slide show feature!

What your looking for is dpMagic CE

dpMagic CE provides basic Windows Shell extensions such as thumbnail support for RAW files. dpMagic CE supports RAW images produced by many digital cameras. We give dpMagic CE away for free to support the growing internet photography community. Even with basic functionality dpMagic is a great tool used by thousands of photographers world-wide.

A word of warning about the Arcsoft viewer - if you have previously installed the MS RAWViewer powertoy add-in (which does not work with 40D CR2 files) then you will need to uninstall this before you install the arcsoft Raw thumbnail viewer.

I spent some time wondering why I still couldnt view the Raw thumbnails with the arcsoft add-in until I tried uninstalling the MS one and reinstalled the arcsoft one. All now working fine

On another subject - does anyone know if Photoshop Elements 7 works with EOS40D Raw files?

Peter

I don't know the answer to your question but it might be best to start another thread :)

Yes - I realise I should have started another thread but here is the answer to my own question - I have now bought PS Elements 7 and it works seamlessly with my Canon 40D Raw files.

What an amazing piece of software!

Peter

Picasa will allow you view RAW files.

Back