5D, 300mm + teleconverter

Edit My Images
No
I recently upgraded to a lovely, shiny, almost new Canon 5D and love it to bits. The image quality is stunning, and full-framiness very nice.

I came from a 400D where I was often using a 300mm L F4 lens (more often than not with a little too much reach than I really needed due to the multiplication factor).

My question is, if I sold the 400D on and picked up a 1.4 teleconverter, will I still get better IQ than the straight 400D + 300mm combination?

Basically, will the converter reduce IQ noticably?

Is it right that I will also loose a stop of aperture with this combo too - F5?

Anything else I've missed?

Cheers,
Andy

you will lose aperture f4 becomes f5.6
you will lose a little quality

and compared with a 400D you will appear to lose focal length due to the crop factor

crop factor has been done to death and then some on many other threads

basically 5D has a full frame, 400D has a cropped sensor, so it only uses the middle of the picture

I know about the crop factor just fine, its whether the 1.4*300mm combination (which will give nearly the same reach) will be just as good, if not better than the 400D with just the 300mm that I'm wondering about.

Basically, its a question of if/when I need to have 400mm focal length, would I be better off with the teleconvertor on the 5D, or keep the 400D for just those longer reach shots.

given the vastly superior picture quality of the 5D I would lose the 400D and go for the convertor

I have the same conundrum - and that's what I've done
(master plan is to use the 400D to fund the next big lens, but she doesn't know yet!!!)

Ok, think thats what I wanted to hear.

Of course the bonus is that flogged my 400D and other EF-S lens would probably bring in £400, whilst only £200 going on the TC. Pays me back for some of the 5D!!!

Cheers for your help :)

talk to kerso for the converter - get a good deal!

Difficult one this - the pixels of the 400D sensor are smaller so potentially lesser quality. But you don't have the convertor in the way. I'd guess it'd be much of a muchness to be honest, although the better quality sensor of the 5D might show some issues on non L glass.

Difficult one this - the pixels of the 400D sensor are smaller so potentially lesser quality. But you don't have the convertor in the way. I'd guess it'd be much of a muchness to be honest, although the better quality sensor of the 5D might show some issues on non L glass.

.....but the 300mm is L glass, so the combo certainly shouldn't be any worse than on the 400D.

Think I'd better put the 400 up for sale hadn't I :)

The extender and L prime lenses are made for each other, so any quality loss should be absolutely minimal!! I have the 70-200 2.8 IS and the 2x extender and notice only a small drop in IQ...but not really noticeable with standard viewing :)

Took a few quick shots out of my loft window Canon 5D and 70-200L f4 IS with and without the 1.4x converter.

70-200 f4 IS L @ 200mm f8
200ry6.jpg

70-200 f4 L IS with 1.4x converter @ 200mm f8 (280, f11)
280bb5.jpg

@200 no converter
2002ve3.jpg

200+ 1.4x Converter
2802go0.jpg

Another trial, lighting could have been a bit more contrasty, but here are three views of the nuclear refuelling crane in the local dockyard all taken from the same position on a tripod with a 17-40L @ 40mm (64mm), 100-400L IS @ 400mm (640mm) and 100-400L IS + 1.4x Extender 620mm (896mm). They were all shot on a Canon 30D which multiplies the AOV by 1.6x so the 35mm equivelents are in brackets.

40mmfe1.jpg

400pg7.jpg

40014vf3.jpg

Hope this helps!

Edbray, that is absolutely brilliant - thank you for taking the time to shoot the frames for me. Definately made up my mind, goodbye 400D, hello 1.4x tc :D

Thanks again all (y)

Edbray, that is absolutely brilliant - thank you for taking the time to shoot the frames for me. Definately made up my mind, goodbye 400D, hello 1.4x tc :D

Thanks again all (y)

Glad to be of service, although I have to confess (exif data would show that anyway) I shot them for someone else on another forum last week who wanted to know how the converter performed on different L lenses, when I saw your thread I thought it may be helpful, so posted the images here too!

I asked this same question of a pro that i know( I know him getting paid doesnt make him god)he said , why bother spending the money, the 1.6 crop is 8 mp( on the camera i was comparing to the 5d),the 5d is 12mp, just crop the image, same result, stick a ton in the bank

Back